Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 2.0
Z3 not starting and running issues

Hi everybody this is my first time on this forum, infraction any forum.
I own a 1999 2.0 Z3 which i bought of a friend. It has stood for a long time without being started. When I tried to start it it turns over runs for about a second and then stalls. I've discovered if I disconnect the mass air flow sensor it will continue to run but if I push down hard on the throttle it will go into limp mode. If I increase the revs slowly it will rev up to 4000 rpm then go into limp mode again. I have connected a diagnostic tool to it to see the failure codes. If the mass sensor is connected the car stalls immediately but no fault is recorded, if I disconnect the sensor and push down hard on the throttle three faults come up p0101 maf or vaf circuit fault p0505 idle control system malfunction and p0340 crankshaft position sensor.

Last edited by Chuck 1; 10-15-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
to start off [no pun] it is usual that if you disconnect the MAF sensor and the car runs that the MAF is bad. if the car was sitting a long time fuel maybe old. what is batt condition. although i hate to poke and hope repair.....mabe a new MAF and crankshaft sensor.....imho
Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM

Hi wifesauto, thanks for the reply. I have already replaced the battery and fuel. Yes the MAF sensor is the most obvious fault but my concern is I have never come across a faulty MAF sensor stopping a car from starting, could there be some other underlying problem? When I reset the faults the crank shaft fault disappears, the idle control system fault still persists.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
a bad maf can make the car throw other codes.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 AM

Just for anybody whose interested I noticed that the air intake hose was split and replaced it, it has improved how the car runs but all the symtems still exist. I have now ordered a maf sensor. I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Way to go Chuck. Thanks for updating this thread, as it can help other members.

Al.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Latest update

Hi everybody,

Just a quick update. With the new Maf sensor fitted the car started and continued to run but when I pressed hard on the throttle it still went into safe mode and gave a P0505 fault. I cleaned the idle control valve which improved the problem a little but didn't resolve it. Whilst reviewing some other forums I found somebody else who had the same p0505 fault and symptoms. It turned out to be a sticking throttle body. I remove it and sure enough it needed cleaning, it was completely jammed shut. I now have no fault codes and a Z3 that runs like a dream. Hope this a help to anybody with the same issues.