Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Z4 35is Black/Beige
License plate mount on front?

I just picked up my 2013 Z4 35is from the dealer. California law requires a license plate to be mounted on the front of the car. There doesn't appear to be a spot for it. I really don't want to mount a plate there and mess up the super sexy front of the car.
Has anybody mounted a front plate?
How and where?
Pictures?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2012, 06:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLCrisisBimmer View Post
I just picked up my 2013 Z4 35is from the dealer. California law requires a license plate to be mounted on the front of the car. There doesn't appear to be a spot for it. I really don't want to mount a plate there and mess up the super sexy front of the car.
Has anybody mounted a front plate?
How and where?
Pictures?

Thanks
Here's what I did.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=herrk

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 AM

Thanks HerrK. It is definitely designed to fit the European plates. Did you have to drill mounting holes to mount?
Our plates here are short and tall, so they hang down over the lower grill area and they look out of place and there does not appear to be any preset mounting holes.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks HerrK. It is definitely designed to fit the European plates. Did you have to drill mounting holes to mount?
Our plates here are short and tall, so they hang down over the lower grill area and they look out of place and there does not appear to be any preset mounting holes.
I only used the top two mounting holes on the plate frame and drilled two holes in the bumper. If the dealer installs the plate frame they use all four mounting screws (four holes in your bumper) and put the frame over the lower portion of the kidneys which looks way ugly IMO.

If you use the factory type metal screw designed to hold in plastic, the two screws have sufficient tensile holding power (Ask your CA or SA for a mounting set, they gave them to me free of charge). They look like the screws shown on this link.

http://www.taptite.net/taptite/remform.asp

Have't blown it off yet it multiple runs up to 120 MPH.

You have to go to post #2 & #3 of the previous link to see my CA plates mounted as described above.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
It is state law in CO. to have a front license plate, but I still chose not to mount it. I did not have mine mounted on my 3 series for 4 years and never had anybody ever stop me or give me a ticket. I think the plate in the front just ruins the look.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
I also did not mount my license plate on the front of my vehicle while I lived in Colorado on any of my BMW's (27 years and no issues). I live in AZ now which does not require a front plate. Lucky me!
If I had to mount a front plate again I would look into the mounting bracket that screws into the service tow hook so I would not have to ruin my bumber.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 PM

Thank you carsbillz4 and rdkind62. I didn't know they made a mounting bracket for the tow hook. I am definately going to forego mounting it and see what happens. I just can't bring myself to ruin the front of my beautiful Z.
It is nice to know that there is a possible solution if I am forced to put one on. I live in a small, sleepy town where cops don't have much else to do.
For example, I have actually been pulled over and gotten a fix it ticket for not having both the little lights shining on my truck plate in the rear bumper! I had removed one to install a trailer light kit. One still provided light on the plate but that was not good enough.
Another example of how sleepy my little town is. At work last week the BIG annoucement going around the office was: " The police are enforcing the stop sign at the railroad tracks" -- What, we have to stop at the stop sign? :-)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: z4 sdrive35, lotus elise
I'm trying really hard not to put it so bluntly but...

fuc.k the police!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 AM
The Pumpkin King

Mein Auto: 2006 X3, 2009 E89
we went the two hook mounting route. This one is well built but a bit pricy.
http://www.usmillworks.com/bmw_front..._tow_hook.html
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-X3 View Post
we went the two hook mounting route. This one is well built but a bit pricy.
http://www.usmillworks.com/bmw_front..._tow_hook.html
Nothing personal, but I think the offset look is worse than drilling a hole in your bumper.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
The Pumpkin King

Mein Auto: 2006 X3, 2009 E89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
Nothing personal, but I think the offset look is worse than drilling a hole in your bumper.
The holder that was on our car actually covered the bottom of the kidney grill. It really looked horrible.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:38 AM

Thanks MC-X3. Appreciate the link. They are pricey for what they are but much better solution then drilling holes and covering the grills. Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Our UK number plate is attached by four screws into the bumper. EU sized plates fit the car better than American plates.

Quote:
Pictures?
At delivery...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000664.jpg
Views:	1966
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	348455  
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 11-05-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:51 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
I am definitely going to forego mounting it and see what happens.
I grew up in California and return to visit all the time. You will get pulled over sooner or later.

Fortunately it is just a fix-it ticket in CA. (Or at least it used to be.)

You can legally run with the dealer temporary plate for a few months. Steve Jobs rather famously leased a new Mercedes every few months so that the car wouldn't need to have license plates.

Here in the UK, we would be pulled over for no front plate very quickly. I might be able to get away with it if I stuck to the back roads on Anglesey, but I wouldn't make it to Liverpool without a front plate.

The UK makes heavy use of Automatic Number Plate Recognition. Tolls, speed cameras, London Congestion Charge, catching uninsured drivers and Parking Enforcement all use ANPR.

ANPR is also used to track criminals.

BMW ANPR interceptor --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmpolice1/7042395327/
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 11-05-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 PM

This is the way all BMW's should look in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3788compressed.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	348511  

Old 11-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 35i
Quote:
That is a matter of opinion... when you have an ED car and can keep that front tag on there without any legal issues, I am one that believes it should remain in place.

Z4 at Welt - Night Shot - wide by dgiphonepix, on Flickr
Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-X3 View Post
The holder that was on our car actually covered the bottom of the kidney grill. It really looked horrible.

This is after the fact and won't help you but might help others.

Here is a link to how I installed front license plate without holes in bumper with inexpensive cable ties on my new 2014 X1 xDrive28i.

http://www.bmwfrontlicenseplate.tumblr.com/
Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 AM
MJK Z435IS

Mein Auto: 2011 Porsche 911-GTS
Move to Florida!! Front plates look like crap, But we have to park head in first!! Thats usally how i do it anyway!! I feel sorry for the guy in the UK- looks like a billboard on the front of your car,your cops must be blind.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
+1 - be a rebel. 8 years driving my Z4 withoput a front plate - just one ticket. Just paid the fine. Worth it.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i