Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 E53
Radio stays on with out ignition keys

Please, help.. Any one with this issue? My BMW X5 E54 2002, radio system stays on even when there is no ignition key. This is causing my battery to drain over the night causing me late for work in the morning.. To overcome this I now take the fuse out. I have tried all sorts of measures to fault find.
List of what I have done so far...
1) Completely drained power by disconnecting the battery for 1 hr.
Out come (nothing)
2) Took all the fuse, checked them for any faults (just in case)
Out come (nothing) I know its nothing to do with fuses coz there is power going to the radio.
3) I have till now read everything that is there ref. to BMW radio, but this is making me more confused.
Out come ( some says its to do with ignition barrel, some suggest its to do with cable black connector behind the center console panel (left of console) right under the e-brake handle between the console and the seat)

I hate to go to garage coz i know they will start charging me from the moment they touch my Bimmer. I have already spent 4000 from the day I bought this car, so please apart from suggesting me to go to BMW dealer, are there any one to lighten my life out of this misery. (Oh! ya just changed my battery to new one ... coz my battery was draining rapidly just to let you know
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 E53 / 00 E46 / 98 E36
Seems the radio is bad. There's a feature of the radio that it will turn on without the key in the ignition key at position 1 for at least 20 minutes then turn off. While the ignition switch to off, try to press and hold the volume knob for a couple minutes and I hope it will reset the radio. If didn't works, try to press and hold again while the ignition key in position 1.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
The fuse? You wrote your post as if there's only one fuse that controls the radio. What fuse nbr are you removing...and if so, is there a reason you're only removing that particular one and not any of the other fuses (front and/or rear) that control the (radio?).

Also, what do you mean by radio? The X5 can be optioned with the MID (multi-informational display) or Nav monitor...and in Europe and other countries some may have the the BMW Business Radio without MID. With the first two mentioned systems...the radio is incorporated into the in-dash cassette or in-dash CD player, or a separate unit under the cargo floor if you have the Nav monitor.

For example, you can see there's multiple fuses for the radio/Nav/CD changer system in my 06:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 03-16-2014, 01:23 PM
BMW CCA Member #: 444067

Mein Auto: 2002 540iA with sport pkg
May we please discuss this feature, mentioned above:
Quote:
There's a feature of the radio that it will turn on without the key in the ignition key at position 1 for at least 20 minutes then turn off.

2002 e39 (540iA) with factory 'sport package' modified with:
'03 fr. and r. bumpers, front air ducts, and spoiler
18" Staggered MPars (style 37)
Dinan exhaust
shorter springs
European center console arm rest
VECTOR radar detector (non-working)

....-------------------.
[ /.....................\ ]
.|(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)|
. \o\0=======|=======0/o/
...|__|.............|__|
Old 03-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
There's a feature of the radio that it will turn on without the key in the ignition key at position 1 for at least 20 minutes then turn off.
Quick review:
0) radio in perfect working condition
1) car goes to shop to have water pump replaced
2) due to various failures downstream from water pump, car was in shop for 5 weeks
3) while shop had car, battery went dead, then froze
4) shop replaced battery
5) now the radio acts weird
a) after shutting car down, removing key from ignition, and opening door, the radio continues to play for about a minute
b) when car is running, the radio will turn on and play, but for only 20 minutes at a time. at the 20 minute mark, the radio powers off.
c) some of the station pre-sets would change station correctly but instantly return to another. this seems to have been corrected with the mechanic's "autologic" car computer analysis tool.

Dinan exhaust
shorter springs

....-------------------.
...|__|.............|__|
Old 03-17-2014, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedBits View Post
May we please discuss this feature... :
Quote:
See information below under RADIO OPERATION WITH KL R OFF. BTW, the radio stays on for 16 minutes (not 20 minutes)...which is the time limit for the wake/sleep feature of the car. If there are no "calls" on the GM III for 16 minutes, then components that are designed to WAKE-UP or stay AWAKE will shut down and go to SLEEP.

TIP: (KL R = ignition position 1)

If you're unfamiliar with the WAKE/SLEEP feature...see the info below...it applies not only to the X5...but to the BMWs that share the same Communication Bus system...in this case, the e38/e39/e46/e52/e53:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 03-17-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:06 AM

Thanks, QSilver7, for working with me on this.

I will review the 'car memory' with respect to locking the vehicle.

On my recent trip, while driving, the radio powers off after 20 minutes of operation. It seems that the radio thinks it is operating with the ignition off and key removed (and it doesn't know that it is supposed to shut off in 16 minutes).

Dinan exhaust
shorter springs

....-------------------.
...|__|.............|__|