Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
X5d -- first tank, bad mpg?

I am about 1/2 through my first tank on a new 2012 X5d and, after about 90% true city driving (Chicago), the trip computer is showing about 15.7 mpg. I am not hitting it hard or anything, just a ton of stop-and-go traffic (and yes, I reset the trip computer before I left the dealership). Is this normal or does it get better over time? I am most interested to hear from X5d owners who do mostly city driving. Thanks in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
lets say you were parked and let the engine run for two days. Total mileage 0. would this be worthy of a "bad mpg" post????

Fill up the car and do the math, see what the actual mpg is. Also, post your average speed during this same period, it will tell us how much 'city' your 'city' is....
Old 11-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
lets say you were parked and let the engine run for two days. Total mileage 0. would this be worthy of a "bad mpg" post????

Fill up the car and do the math, see what the actual mpg is. Also, post your average speed during this same period, it will tell us how much 'city' your 'city' is....
+1, but, yes, gas mileage generally improves after break-in on a diesel.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5M 50d
It will take thousands of miles to break in your diesel engine, my fuel economy gets better each week, give the engine a few months to break in and keep your tyre pressures up.
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
In my driving, I get about 16 mpg on the second tank with city short distance driving if I reset and accumulate for a few days. After driving around freeway for a while, it inches back to respectful 19.7 mpg for the second tank. The first tank did not count. It was mostly freeway driving without aide of cruise control. I still get respectful 23.x mpg.

What I noticed is that X5 needs a light foot to switch gear at around 1750 rpm. If you can get to that point, then it get boosted quite a bit. So what I do is ease off throttle near that and my mpg shoots up. I guess it is my version of the eco mode. Also, the gear shifting point is different when you start engine at cold. Cold temperature tends to get the transmission switches at closer to 3000 rpm.

What is the message? Early morning MPG sucks. Drive lightly and things will come back up to normal.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgb1974 View Post
I am about 1/2 through my first tank on a new 2012 X5d and, after about 90% true city driving (Chicago), the trip computer is showing about 15.7 mpg. I am not hitting it hard or anything, just a ton of stop-and-go traffic (and yes, I reset the trip computer before I left the dealership). Is this normal or does it get better over time? I am most interested to hear from X5d owners who do mostly city driving. Thanks in advance!
"Hitting it hard" has nothing to do with it. It takes a lot of energy to accelerate a 6,000 pound vehicle from a dead stop to 20 or 30 mph, a process which you are repeating over, and over, and over again.

It takes exponentially less energy to keep that same 6,000 pound vehicle rolling at 75 mph down I-80. Why should this be surprising? Did someone tell you that diesel repealed Newton's Laws?

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
"Hitting it hard" has nothing to do with it. It takes a lot of energy to accelerate a 6,000 pound vehicle from a dead stop to 20 or 30 mph, a process which you are repeating over, and over, and over again.

It takes exponentially less energy to keep that same 6,000 pound vehicle rolling at 75 mph down I-80. Why should this be surprising? Did someone tell you that diesel repealed Newton's Laws?

No, prick, no one ever told me that. Perhaps if you weren't such a loser (judging from your 3,483 posts on this board) you could have provided some helpful information instead of just being a dick.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Seeing you are in Chicago, you probably are now getting "Winter" diesel fuel, which I have found drops my MPG a bit. Winter diesel has a lower energy content due to blending-in "lighter" fuel to ensure it doesn't gell or cloud-up in Winter temperatures.

I've also noticed that my diesel get really bad MPG until it warms-up to operating temperature. So if you city driving also includes short trips, you will take a big hit in MPG in cold weather.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
No, prick, no one ever told me that. Perhaps if you weren't such a loser (judging from your 3,483 posts on this board) you could have provided some helpful information instead of just being a dick.
Here's the "helpful information". Your X5 is performing exactly as expected, given what you have related about your driving. Sorry you didn't pick up on that the first time.

And the 3,xxxx posts are due to the fact that I've been driving BMW's for over a decade. A fact that is probably due (at least in part) to the fact I was smart enough to pass high school physics.

Moron.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post

I agree that the diesel blend and weight of the car may have to do with the mileage (e.g., diesel-engined semis usually get around 5 or less mpg). Or maybe bring your concern to the dealership to have the car checked - it wouldn't hurt.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:46 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Seeing you are in Chicago, you probably are now getting "Winter" diesel fuel, which I have found drops my MPG a bit. Winter diesel has a lower energy content due to blending-in "lighter" fuel to ensure it doesn't gell or cloud-up in Winter temperatures.

I've also noticed that my diesel get really bad MPG until it warms-up to operating temperature. So if you city driving also includes short trips, you will take a big hit in MPG in cold weather.
You COULD always warm the truck up before driving it so that the only "waste" would be at idle. That should save some fuel, no?

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Hybrids are significantly better for "around town" driving than are diesels. The logic is basic. Hybrid's leverage the electric motors from ZERO "up to" as much as 45MPH. That electric assist is VERY helpful in keeping fuel consumption low on those types of vehicles. I have not yet tested this expectation between the wife's Highlander Hybrid and my X5 Diesel but I am not certain I need (or want) to bother any head-to-head testing... at this time.

If you do a lot of city driving, a hybrid may have been the better choice. Of course the hybrids also have other issues (battery wear & tare, no engine noise at times so people & animals can & WILL run out in front of the car from time to time, etc) so nothing is perfect.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 11-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: X5
For me, my first tank - gas version - got about 18mpg (mostly city with a mix of freeway)...I then reset it, hit the freeway for a decent amount of time.
60-70 mph I was getting 24+mpg....70-80mph, got a solid 23+mpg, so I was pretty happy and even surprised. If this continues, I'll be elated. But as everyone knows, the key is careful throttle control.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: X5M 50d
You should not be running winter diesel in your X5, its designed to run on Ultra diesel. Your ultra diesel in the US is 15ppm and that is the highest rating you should go.

Here in Australia our ultra is 5ppm thats partly why we get the 40d & M50d engines. Uk & European ultra is 1-2ppm.

The 40d & M50d use different injections, rail pressures & higher turbo pressures, winter diesel depending in which country you are in could be 50ppm & 500ppm, we refer to this as semitrailer truck diesel fuel.

I run this in my 1974 FJ40 2H Toyota Diesel as it has an old fashion injector pump.

I read alot about the amount of smog gear you have on your X5 diesels & owners complaining about the black on the rear of the X5, as we have only 5ppm of sulpher and harding any smog gear we have little black dust etc .
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
You should not be running winter diesel in your X5, its designed to run on Ultra diesel.
In the U.S. "Winter" diesel is "Ultra" diesel, as far as sulfur content goes. The switch over to Winter diesel formulations is completely transparent to the diesel buyer as it is labeled exactly the same and comes out of the same pump and the same hose -- it automatically is switched by the station operators depending upon the season, the location, and the time of year. So everyone uses Winter diesel in the colder parts of the U.S., whether they know it or not.

Last edited by Penguin; 11-06-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Someone not get enough sleep?

No need to toss personal attacks just because you get a wise-ass (but perfectly accurate) answer. I am not defending the other guy, but you didn't need escalate the battle.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
You COULD always warm the truck up before driving it so that the only "waste" would be at idle. That should save some fuel, no?
No, because you are accomplishing "0 miles" of driving yet consuming fuel.

Best to start and drive off immediately... albeit at a slower place.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!