Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-04-2012, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325CI
2006 325CI battery drain issue

Hi to all,

My battery died after 6 years so I thought it was just time. I replaced my battery myself, car started fine so I just left it parked in my garage this week. After 5 days it was dead again leading me to believe I have a something shorted out or draining my battery.

After a very long trouble shoot of my battery drain issue I have determined the circuit that is causing the issue. I was getting a current draw of .35 amps when the car is turned off after 10 minutes. I donít know if that is enough to kill a fresh battery in 5 days or not?

After pulling each fuse independently I found the one that was causing the drain. The fuse is labelled #49. According to the chart in the fuse box it runs the following items:

Central Locking System
Interior Light
Thiefproofing System
Window Lift Front
Windscreen Washer System

I tested the following items when the fuse was in, my door locks work, none of my interior lights seem to be burnt out, not sure how to test the security system to see if itís an issue, front windows go up and down, when you open and close the door they go down and back up to seal properly & my windshield washers and wipers seem to work just fine.

Now that I have found the circuit, does anyone know how to test each of these items to find out which could be causing the issue, has anyone had this issue with this model happen to them? Ideas? Advice?Help?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
The correct method would be to hook up your current draw test again and unhook each of the five items from their connector one at a time to see which one is responsible for the excessive current draw.