Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW M
Sport button or s mode for tranny or both

If you use the sport button, does putting the tranny in sport mode add anything? Also, I never see the S6 gear with the tranny to the left (up to 85 mph anyway)
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
If you use the sport button, does putting the tranny in sport mode add anything? Also, I never see the S6 gear with the tranny to the left (up to 85 mph anyway)
Do you have an M6? If so you should probably be talking to the folks over at the M6 section of the M5Board.com. They would know much more about S5/S6, sport vs. non-sport...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 650 bmw 750li
actually always wondered the same questiion. no its not m6...they have on regular auto trans non SMG
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw666 View Post
actually always wondered the same questiion. no its not m6...they have on regular auto trans non SMG
Huh? Are you answering the model question for the other guy?

Anyway, the S6 makes no sense, when you put the 6 in manual DS mode it just says DS on the screen, it doesn't tell you what gear you are in unless you manually are controlling the shift. And then it says M1/M2/etc., it never says S6? I know the M series of cars have S settings which control the different modes the car operates in.

Regardless, the sport mode holds the revs a bit longer, it also keeps the car at a higher gear when cruising. Just press it and you will see how it reacts, your RPM will jump while cruising from whatever it is to a higher number. Also shifts a bit harder. Perhaps it also advances timing and throttle response, no one really knows for sure? Speculation at best.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M
What car are you guys driving. I have an 09 650i with an Automatic. When I put the car in gear I can leave it in drive or put it in Sport Shifting Mode, and as the manual states, "The sport program is activated and S1 through S6 is displayed in the instrument cluster." When I do this it holds shifts longer, but I never get passed S5 (at speeds up to 85mph).

I also have, below the transmission, a button called sport. According to the manual, it is called dynamic driving control. Speed range of engine is optimally utilized, geqarshifts are faster, engine responds more spontaneously to pedal movements, steering operates in a sportier mode and 6th gear is not engaged.

In preliminary mpg tests, I get the same gas mileage in regular and sport button mode, but drop 4-5 mpg in combined sport button and sport shift mode.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 AM

In my 2006 it says M1 through M6. I don't recall ever having manually shifted into M6 so cannot say if it is locked out?

I am not so sure that the steering is affected by Sport mode, at least in my year it is not. Throttle response is better and it doesn't downshift while cruising into the next gear. On the highway or at a constant speed, click the sport on and off and you will notice the RPM's making that change. Definitely the DS mode makes it shift harder.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
What car are you guys driving. I have an 09 650i with an Automatic. When I put the car in gear I can leave it in drive or put it in Sport Shifting Mode, and as the manual states, "The sport program is activated and S1 through S6 is displayed in the instrument cluster." When I do this it holds shifts longer, but I never get passed S5 (at speeds up to 85mph).

I also have, below the transmission, a button called sport. According to the manual, it is called dynamic driving control. Speed range of engine is optimally utilized, geqarshifts are faster, engine responds more spontaneously to pedal movements, steering operates in a sportier mode and 6th gear is not engaged.

In preliminary mpg tests, I get the same gas mileage in regular and sport button mode, but drop 4-5 mpg in combined sport button and sport shift mode.

You have the post 2008 LCI version of the car, as do I. I see the s1, s2 etc as well, so dont worry, your not going crazy! lol

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 11-06-2012, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by greco2000 View Post
You have the post 2008 LCI version of the car, as do I. I see the s1, s2 etc as well, so dont worry, your not going crazy! lol
Yeah - good point. Pre-LCI it displays M1, M2, etc. and post-LCI it displays S1, S2, etc.

As far as sport button, I agree with Mark's points above regarding holding higher RPM's, more responsive throttle, but in my 2007 it also tightens up the steering wheel response, making it slightly "heavier" and a touch more responsive. I also noticed that sport button seems to prevent or lock out the usual shift to sixth gear or "overdrive", instead keeping it in fifth gear even at highway speeds. As far as holding higher RPM's, higher shift points and locking out sixth gear, I can't tell any difference between DS mode and sport button, and suspect they both might include a couple of these same powertrain characteristics. Just my driving observations, without any research on what the manual says.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)