Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i sport
Dash Cluster & Wiring Harness problems

1995 325is
1. Okay first there was the problem with the dash cluster staying on after turning off the engine. I heard this problem is usually because of the memory battery as part of the unit corrodes and leaks to cause shorts in the dash's circuit board. Any advice on this?
2. Second problem is while leaving the car sitting for a while, it seems a local rodent chewed through all the wiring harness near the diagnostic port. This is located on the left side of the engine compartment. I have tried to get a replacement for this portion of the wiring harness with little success since I cannot find the part number. Seems that BMW claims the wiring harness for the whole compartment for the engine is a single part number. Any advise for either or both of these problems is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kevindebruycker; 11-05-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
I'd say the two probelms are one. The harness damage is causing the IC problem.

Pull loose enough of the two ends of the harness and start splicing the wires back together. They are color coded, so it should be easy to match them up, even if you have to add lengths in between. Solder the splices and use heat shrink tubing to insulate the joints. Remember to slip the heat shrink tubing over the wires BEFORE you solder up the joints.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
gawdamn.
+1
Sound advice.

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.