Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Blue Bimmer!

Mein Auto: 2013 335i EBII
Help! Little overwhelmed....

So, it looks like I will be taking delivery of my BMW M3 in January.

I have been reading like a crazy person to figure out a itinary. However, I am having difficulty because I dont know Europe well. I will be going to Europe for about 2 weeks.

Does anyone know of any good routes or suggestion nice places to visit between Munich and Paris.

I am seeing a lot of nice places doing my research but not sure what to avoid because of the winter. We do not want to go to Italy because we have a seperate trip planned for that later in the year.
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
  • Read the ED Wiki
  • Start reading trip reports in this forum.
  • Use the Search function for this forum to find cities/countries that you're interested in.
  • Rick Steves has tons of information about Europe and traveling in Europe. Check out his books on Amazon, his website, and his programs on PBS.
  • Use Google search and TripAdvisor to find info on countries, cities, hotels, restaurants, etc.

Once you have some idea of where you want to go, put together a preliminary itinerary which includes what you plan to see each day, any driving you might do to get there, and where you plan to stay each night. Use Google Maps to plot your routes. Then post your preliminary itinerary here and ask for suggestions on routes, hotels, restaurants, etc. (but search first!).

Planning your itinerary is half the fun. Make sure that you bookmark interesting sites as you come across them so that you don't forget where you found something. Organize your bookmarks by country/city, etc.

Of course, if you're the adventurous type, you can just wing it!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 11-05-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Couple of thoughts. First, don't neglect Munich. It's become our favorite place in Europe. We spent seven days there last month, a couple of days when we picked up the car and five days after we ruturned .I would definitely carve out at least two or three days of the trip for Munich, perhaps in conjunction with drop off, if that's what you do.
Second: As a general plan concept, what has worked really well for us in the past and this time is to plan some of the trip after the drop off. A lot of folks want to drive their new machine to the max right up until its time to board the plane. Don't underestimate the royal pain in the okole it is waiting for your car to get home. Last time, after drop off we visited Rome, then took a two week transatlantic cruise, then dawdled on the east coast visiting relatives before returning to San Diego. Two weeks later - our car. This time we dropped the car in Vienna, took a Danube river cruise, the aforementioned time in Munich, visit relatives etc etc and voila! Our car is here. Good luck. Know you will enjoy no matter the plan.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: e320 (Newly Shopping)
I found comments on tripadvisor.com to be very helpful in picking places/hotels (second only to this forum)
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv View Post

I have been reading like a crazy person to figure out a itinary. However, I am having difficulty because I dont know Europe well. I will be going to Europe for about 2 weeks.

Does anyone know of any good routes or suggestion nice places to visit between Munich and Paris.

I am seeing a lot of nice places doing my research but not sure what to avoid because of the winter. We do not want to go to Italy because we have a seperate trip planned for that later in the year.
Are you dropping the car off in Paris, or returning to Munich? Just asking b/c you'll need to think about winter tires, which are mandatory in Germany. Obviously, if you put them on in Munich but don't plan to return, that might be a bit difficult.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: A big grin
We drove from Munich to Paris spending one night in Alsace. Mulhouse is about half way and the first day's leg allows a lot of autobahn miles if that's your taste.
If you are into it the Schlumpf museum in Mulhouse is one of the world's best car collections.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: M-Sport128i 328xiT 3.0CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
We drove from Munich to Paris spending one night in Alsace. Mulhouse is about half way and the first day's leg allows a lot of autobahn miles if that's your taste.
If you are into it the Schlumpf museum in Mulhouse is one of the world's best car collections.
And the train museum that is a few kilometers from the Schlumpf museum is great!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthompson View Post
And the train museum that is a few kilometers from the Schlumpf museum is great!
Missed that one.
Guess I'll have go back and do the whole thing over.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Sportwagon
I agree with spending a few days in Munich. Then it's a matter of deciding whether to go north to Rothenburg OBT or south to Fussen to see the castles. From either place...recommended stops are Stuttgart, Baden-Baden (both Germany), then cross border to Strasbourg, Nancy, Rheims, Paris....drop off car and enjoy a few days in this beautiful city.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffJumper View Post
Are you dropping the car off in Paris, or returning to Munich? Just asking b/c you'll need to think about winter tires, which are mandatory in Germany. Obviously, if you put them on in Munich but don't plan to return, that might be a bit difficult.
I was going to comment on this as well. I believe that "all season" tires also qualify, and many cars come with those by default. Check with your dealer to be sure what you're getting and what you need. Here's one quotation:

(4) - Germany has recently (4 December 2010) introduced new regulations requiring all passenger cars and motorbikes including vehicles from foreign countries to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are wintry. Winter tyres (or 'all season' tyres) should bear the mark M&S or the snowflake symbol on the side wall.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Blue Bimmer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganradio View Post
I agree with spending a few days in Munich. Then it's a matter of deciding whether to go north to Rothenburg OBT or south to Fussen to see the castles. From either place...recommended stops are Stuttgart, Baden-Baden (both Germany), then cross border to Strasbourg, Nancy, Rheims, Paris....drop off car and enjoy a few days in this beautiful city.
I really wanted to go to Fussen but not sure if the weather will be horrible there. Anyone have any experience of Fussen in the winter?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Blue Bimmer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
I was going to comment on this as well. I believe that "all season" tires also qualify, and many cars come with those by default. Check with your dealer to be sure what you're getting and what you need. Here's one quotation:

(4) - Germany has recently (4 December 2010) introduced new regulations requiring all passenger cars and motorbikes including vehicles from foreign countries to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are wintry. Winter tyres (or 'all season' tyres) should bear the mark M&S or the snowflake symbol on the side wall.

I will check on this.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I will check on this.
If you're anticipating any snow (and I think you should) full snows are the way to go on an M3.
If I lived in Md as you do I wouldn't buy a set but look into rentals instead.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post

He's getting an M3 for US market so it'll definitely be summer tires only.

And, it's very likely he'll have snow in January.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
If you're anticipating any snow (and I think you should) full snows are the way to go on an M3.
If I lived in Md as you do I wouldn't buy a set but look into rentals instead.
Yup. EDwintertires.com (see sticky at top of ED forum)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
Quote:

January would not be my first choice for a European Delivery. You have the "winter tire" problem. It's almost certain that the temperature will be in the 30s - not much fun for sight seeing. The chance of snow messing up your driving plans is high. I would recommend doing it in spring or fall. But I presume you are committed to January, so here are some suggestions.

I agree with Vizsla that Alasce is very appealing. The terrain is relatively flat and should present fewer problems than the Alps. I enjoyed the Mulhouse car museum and several towns between Mulhouse and Strassbourg.

Other options would be the Cote d'Azur, Provence, the Loire Valley or, if you are interested in WWI or WWII sites, you might go through Belgium to Normandy.

Perhaps you could give us an idea of your interests so that we can be more selective in our suggestions.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Blue Bimmer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
January would not be my first choice for a European Delivery. You have the "winter tire" problem. It's almost certain that the temperature will be in the 30s - not much fun for sight seeing. The chance of snow messing up your driving plans is high. I would recommend doing it in spring or fall. But I presume you are committed to January, so here are some suggestions.

I agree with Vizsla that Alasce is very appealing. The terrain is relatively flat and should present fewer problems than the Alps. I enjoyed the Mulhouse car museum and several towns between Mulhouse and Strassbourg.

Other options would be the Cote d'Azur, Provence, the Loire Valley or, if you are interested in WWI or WWII sites, you might go through Belgium to Normandy.

Perhaps you could give us an idea of your interests so that we can be more selective in our suggestions.
Sadly my current lease is ending soon so I needed to pull do my delivery in January or February. My interests include Skiing, historic sites, musuems, art, food, beer, food, and food etc.

I've lived in the North East most of my live so snow and cold weather does not bother me.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
cchrisv
"Sadly my current lease is ending soon so I needed to pull do my delivery in January or February. My interests include Skiing, historic sites, musuems, art, food, beer, food, and food etc.

I've lived in the North East most of my live so snow and cold weather does not bother me".

You should be able to satisfy all those interests on this trip. You will be very close to ski country. Garmisch was the site of the 1936 Olympics, Innsbruck has been the site of two Olympics and Switzerland/Austria/France are full of ski resorts. If you have time for anything else, you might consider:

The Residenz in Munich, the Documentation centers in Nuremberg or Berchtesgaden, Salzburg the Hof and city, Riquewihr in Alsace, Rothenberg, Ottobeuren's Abbey, Fort Douaumont in Verdun, the chateaux of the Loire, Normandy's beaches and museums and then there is Paris - numerous museums, churches and historic sites. Plus lots of good food - bring bunches of Euros!

In January and February you should not have to make advance hotel reservations. I would make an exception to that rule for any ski resort, Paris and probably Munich.

Last edited by Trinitony; 11-06-2012 at 11:01 AM.