Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
So, my fiancée was at her class last night for 4-5 hours and I had some time to get in the garage.

Made my own valve spring compressor tool with some crap I had laying around. How it's supposed to look:

Not pretty but worked like a charm. How mine looked:

The valves started to come out with the aid of the beer of the evening. Pardon the grinding flakes on the bottle from me making the tool

Then the tenant in the lower apartment stopped by and offered me some whiskey….

So with the springs, retainers, valves and keepers removed from the heads, they're ready to go to the machine shop. Just need to find time.

I still had the itch to do something so I grabbed a roll of tape and half empty can of plastidip and went to town on the winter car.

Drying, peeled back the badge

So, before

And after

2001 BMW 540i/6 Sport, under the knife
Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 AM

It's raining like hell here. Has been for the past 4 days, and won't let up. Apparently the storm hasn't even hit us yet! It's a good excuse to get out into the garage.

Spent about an hour and a half last night. Tried removing the bumper cover first, and then the whole front end/core support. After breaking all the plastic clips, I realized the core support came off WITH the bumper cover still attached. So, we'll have to reassemble that one of these days. No big deal. My front valance/foglights/brake ducting was all falling apart due to a previous shop reinstalling everything in a huge hurry. All in all, this wasn't that difficult. Now that the front end is off, I can begin to remove and label all harness, fluid lines, to begin prepping for pulling the M62.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Fueled By Gasoline

Mein Auto: 1988 E30 Super ETA 325
what are you doing with the old V8? I'm thinking that could be made to work in my Range Rover.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 AM

She's for sale! Full engine, clutch/fw, and tranny. I don't really want to ship though. If you're interested PM me or send me an email. nogiba5@gmail.com

Last edited by nsogiba; 10-30-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: E39
I want to see that engine in a rover too! If it works out I might get another Disco I.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Fueled By Gasoline

it has a ZF HP24 transmission. Let me see if I can find a bellhousing that will bolt the two together. Most of my Range Rover is BMW management. Shouldn't be too bad.

How many miles on the motor?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth4x4 View Post
it has a ZF HP24 transmission. Let me see if I can find a bellhousing that will bolt the two together. Most of my Range Rover is BMW management. Shouldn't be too bad.

How many miles on the motor?
Motor has about 100K on it. I’m trying to sell everything as a package since it’s probably easier to sell as a swap candidate as a full drivetrain (motor, trans, clutch/fw, etc).

It’s not all officially listed for sale because it’s still in the car and I’m in the process of removing it. However, here’s a feeler thread I have set up locally.

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.ph...B44-V8-6-speed

Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM

so, i have a dumb question. try to keep the laughter and pointing to a minimum!

i unplugged and labeled most of the BMW harness from the M62. looking at all the plugs, there are many plugs that will no longer be used (for example, cam position sensors, bmw knock sensors, oil level sensor on pan, etc).

what do i do with these plugs? obviously they'll never be used again, but can i really just cut/remove them? do i trace the wires all the way back to the BMW ECU and de-pin them and completely remove them? How will this affect the BMW ecu, and how much havoc will it cause with trying to get the car inspected (here in NYS, you cannot pass with a CEL on).

Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Fueled By Gasoline

probably won't pass emissions with that motor in there. Do they even allow motor swaps in your state?

you should probably look into that a bit before you sell your old engine. Stop all work now and do some research. To bad you live in liberal ville. here in the red states we don't have emissions checks.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth4x4 View Post
probably won't pass emissions with that motor in there. Do they even allow motor swaps in your state?

you should probably look into that a bit before you sell your old engine. Stop all work now and do some research. To bad you live in liberal ville. here in the red states we don't have emissions checks.
Why do you say I won’t pass emissions? Emissions in NYS is a breeze, they do not visually check for a catalytic converter (which I am retaining) nor do they do a sniffer test.

As long as you do not throw a CEL (which will be dependent on the tuning of the GM PCM), you pass inspection. Otherwise, nobody cares what motor you have under the hood of your car.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Subscribed. You have my interest quite peaked. Once my M52TU gives out, I will likely go the LS or LQ route.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
Subscribed. You have my interest quite peaked. Once my M52TU gives out, I will likely go the LS or LQ route.
Why wait until it gives out? I didn’t ;-) this way I’m able to sell the entire BMW drivetrain and recoup a lot of my costs.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Not having a garage really hinders me.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 95 525iT w/S52, 03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
Why do you say I won’t pass emissions? Emissions in NYS is a breeze, they do not visually check for a catalytic converter (which I am retaining) nor do they do a sniffer test.

As long as you do not throw a CEL (which will be dependent on the tuning of the GM PCM), you pass inspection. Otherwise, nobody cares what motor you have under the hood of your car.
In NY, they don't hook up a computer to your OBD II connector to read codes? In NJ, this is what they do and that will involve showing them that there is an engine swap. I am pretty sure engine swaps are allowed in NJ as long as the engine is from a newer or same model year as the car because that means it will meet emissions in all likelihood. This also means that I would have to use the GM engine control system and have it hooked up to OBD II connector under the dash. I will be very surprised to learn that NY inspection is easier and less stringent than NJ.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 AM

Made a good bit of progress last night. One of those evenings where you worked for a while, but somehow it doesn't look like you did anything.

Off the top of my head:

Disconnected and moved the fuel rail/injectors/injector harness (a huge pain in the neck being as it's all mostly 1 piece)

Pulled the M60 intake manifold from the BMW motor and replaced it with the original M62 manifold. The 540i VANOS guys can get a bit more top end power with the older, more top-end oriented mani, so I figure I'd sell it since the M62 mani was just sitting in my basement.

Pulled the entire one piece exhaust

Disconnected and labeled another dozen or so connectors

Disconnected more coolant hoses going to the rear water manifold

Disconnected clutch line and let it drain

Also made a bracket for my infrared heater and mounted it on the wall, have to stop and get a new propane bottle today.

I still have to remove the driveshaft and many heat shields before I can actually pull the motor. Hoping to have it out this weekend though!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Be american, get a bimmer

Mein Auto: 00' 540i, 87' benz 300DT
Best of luck mate! Im not a electrical/computer person myself so ill be following ur thread

If my motor craps out (almost at 200k), im going with 2jz swap
Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 AM

90% of the wires going to the DME are able to be unclipped via connector, 5% are grounds, and another 5% are mystery wires going elsewhere in the harness. Since they were going to the engine harness, I figured they’d be useless, and clipped them (left some length on them in case for some reason I need to splice into them). So, the whole fuel rail/injectors/harness top half is totally removed from the car. wow, does it ever look cleaner that way!

Also removed the driveshaft (bolts holding it to the tranny didn’t even budge with my impact gun…had to do it by hand, under jackstands, that sucked). Disconnected it from the rear diff as well, that was slightly easier (probably made easier by the fact that I swapped out the diff a year ago). Removed all the misc heatshields, more connectors, and some of the cowl. Also pulled the shifter assembly (wow, that plastic cup is terrible to remove). The motor/trans should be completely ready to come out tonight (barring me forgetting to disconnect some hidden crap)

Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: E39
So, what system are you running the engine with?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 AM

GM PCM and harness will run the engine and take a few signals (fuel pump, starter, etc) from the BMW harness

BMW Harness will mostly stay and power everything but the engine

Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 98 540iA Sport
I love the tinkering mentality. Excited to see how all of this turns out :-)

Also, noticed that your significant other went from Girlfriend to Fiancé through the reading. Congratulations! It takes a special kind of woman to be with a car nut and they are TOUGH to find. Best of luck on your future together (as well as with the car, of course ;-) )!!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm11_6 View Post
I love the tinkering mentality. Excited to see how all of this turns out :-)

Also, noticed that your significant other went from Girlfriend to Fiancé through the reading. Congratulations! It takes a special kind of woman to be with a car nut and they are TOUGH to find. Best of luck on your future together (as well as with the car, of course ;-) )!!

Sharp eye! Yes, we got engaged on Sept 1st of this year, while on a mini vacation in Columbus Ohio. It was my birthday that week and she surprised me by booking a ziplining tour/adventure along with sightseeing in the city (I love traveling). We took the BMW out there (awesome drive)—the destination was a total surprise to me, so I drove for about 6 hours without knowing where I was going whatsoever. I returned the favor by proposing to her that evening in the Bicentennial Park in downtown Columbus. It was a weekend I’ll never forget. Our tentative date is September of 2014, but we’d like to buy a house together before then.

Yeah, she’s patient…especially when I come in from the garage with 10 different shades of grease all over my hands/face.

"Don't come in here like that...go in the basement right now and use the orange stuff to clean the grease off before you use the kitchen sink"

Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 325ci/540i6
Damn OP, I hope this swap turns out nice and clean! Im at 225k and I bang the f*** out these gears so I might b following ur footsteps soon... LOL
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM

thanks! my motto is, drive it how you want it, enjoy it while you can. if it breaks, rebuild it, and keep having fun.

made progress tonight:

yeah buddy. next up is engine bay cleanup.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528ia Sport
i give you BIG credit for going all out
M5 F+R Bumpers, M5 Mirrors with OEM setup, M5 rear sway bar, Cluster Rings, 03 Business player with AUX input, HID fogs slim, OEM 01+ Hella headlights, Euro Lens, EAC Aluminum Adjusters, FX-R low beam retrofit, Umnitza Orion halos, Hella Euro Celis Retrofit Kit, Koni yellow shocks with H&R Sport Springs, 19" M6 Reps, Full LEDs.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:10 AM

Just took a deposit on the BMW motor. The BMW 6 speed trans, clutch and flywheel assembly are still for sale.