Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Question Should I do Slovenia or spend more time in Austria?

Here's the deal. I have 10 days to get from Munich to Vienna in late May. I really like the pictures (?) of Lake Bled and other Slovenian places.

So, I created this route:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...&via=5&t=m&z=9

At a high level, Munich -> Salzburg -> Grossglockner -> Lake Bled -> Vienna.

Wife, however, is pushing for a pure German/Austrian drive. She wants to see Salzburg / Berchtesgaden but then do Wachau and the Austrian country side.

What do you all think? Any opinions, preferences? I understand it's all subjective but for those who've done both - any suggestions??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-5-2012 5-36-27 PM.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	348519  

Last edited by zoltrix; 11-05-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 330
Stick to Austria... there are countless places to enjoy. Make sure you spend a decent amount of time at each place.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Ditto.

Plenty to see and do sticking to Austria and Germany. I personally wouldn't want to take my brand new super expensive car into any of the old Soviet Block countries just because of theft, bad roads and possible insurance restrictions.

I recently saw an episode of "Above the Alps" and Lake Bled looked truly gorgeous. It's on my future travels list, but I'll be using a rental car for that. And absolutely only in the Summer.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2011 Ford Fiesta (grey)

Last edited by Gluhwein; 11-06-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Sportwagon
Slovenia is in the EU and on the insurance list from BMW. I also hear Lake Bled is gorgeous, but so are the Alps. Salzburg is one of my favorite places on earth. Vienna is spectacular. Please plan on spending a few days in each.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
I am also interested in Slovenia and have it on my short list for next year's ED - but I have not been there. I have a couple of suggestions on the route that you have mapped. First, head due south out of Munich and when you reach the Alpenstrasse head east towards Salzburg. Second, while in Salzburg head out to the Salzkammergut (Austria's Lake District) for a day of sightseeing.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 AM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
Go to lake Bled. My wife fell in love with it unexpectedly, as she was very skeptical at first.

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
Go to lake Bled. My wife fell in love with it unexpectedly, as she was very skeptical at first.
Same thing happened here. After visiting/staying in Munich, Salzburg, Venice, Verona, Florence ... she wants to return to Lake Bled at least one more time. Other ones she can take it or leave it.

OP, make sure you follow the road as shown in the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Vi...2,3,4&t=m&z=11

Get off the highway around Villach and don't go back on a highway until you get to close to Jesenice. Stop on the road shown in the map between Kranjska Gora and the highway entrance on one of the obvious places (there will be picnic tables or simply a parking spot). River is just 30 ft to your right, walk down to the river. After a night in Bled ask your wife if she wants to go back to Austria or stay. Worst case scenario, Austria is only 20-30 minutes away if you hit a highway at first opportunity.

If she wants to stay, ask hotel staff to show you how to get to drive the road all locals call "Dolina Soce" (last time I did it was 20 years ago and I can't really remember how to get to the right point to start driving south). As long as you keep the brakes reasonably cool, you both should hugely enjoy it. After that, at Nova Gorica, you can go back to highway towards Ljubljana and continue on your planned route.

Another very famous spot is Postojna and a cavern tour. If you have been already to Carlsbad, NM then this is about the same, only this one is "alive" - meaning, water is still dripping profusely and formations are still in process of growing throughout the cavern.

Hope you will have a lot of fun regardless (Slovenija OR Austria).

EDIT: the hotel to stay in Bled is Hotel Park, but ONLY if they guarantee you lake view room with balcony. Make sure you get that. Below two pictures from our balcony taken by my wife with point-and-shoot. Horrible quality, but it will give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4902.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	348676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4903.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	348677  

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 11-07-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
I am also interested in Slovenia and have it on my short list for next year's ED - but I have not been there. I have a couple of suggestions on the route that you have mapped. First, head due south out of Munich and when you reach the Alpenstrasse head east towards Salzburg. Second, while in Salzburg head out to the Salzkammergut (Austria's Lake District) for a day of sightseeing.
OK, thank you!

Re: south of Munich - the route is taking me South of MUC and then east. Am I not seeing it?

re: Salzkammergut - that seems to be a dead-end. I think I'll do it but makes my route look very ugly. If we were proceeding East, it would've been perfect - thanks.

EDIT, sorry you meant Alpenstraße. OK.

So, new link here (I shortened it from Alfred's original link to make it more streamlined):

With Alpenstraße included

Last edited by zoltrix; 11-07-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Wow, so many interesting ideas - that's why I love the forum!

OK - I fixed post Villach route, new link is here:

New Map

Dolina - I guess you mean this http://www.dolina-soce.si/eng/ ?

Hmm.. very interesting option. To be honest, it looks like quite a detour on the way to Ljubljana. I'm afraid that's gonna take a while to navigate that...

EDIT: added the route:

WIth Soca Valley included

So, you can see - I can either do Lake Bled OR navigate the valley. Can't do both without a significant time/distance penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Same thing happened here. After visiting/staying in Munich, Salzburg, Venice, Verona, Florence ... she wants to return to Lake Bled at least one more time. Other ones she can take it or leave it.

OP, make sure you follow the road as shown in the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Vi...2,3,4&t=m&z=11

Get off the highway around Villach and don't go back on a highway until you get to close to Jesenice. Stop on the road shown in the map between Kranjska Gora and the highway entrance on one of the obvious places (there will be picnic tables or simply a parking spot). River is just 30 ft to your right, walk down to the river. After a night in Bled ask your wife if she wants to go back to Austria or stay. Worst case scenario, Austria is only 20-30 minutes away if you hit a highway at first opportunity.

If she wants to stay, ask hotel staff to show you how to get to drive the road all locals call "Dolina Soce" (last time I did it was 20 years ago and I can't really remember how to get to the right point to start driving south). As long as you keep the brakes reasonably cool, you both should hugely enjoy it. After that, at Nova Gorica, you can go back to highway towards Ljubljana and continue on your planned route.

Another very famous spot is Postojna and a cavern tour. If you have been already to Carlsbad, NM then this is about the same, only this one is "alive" - meaning, water is still dripping profusely and formations are still in process of growing throughout the cavern.

Hope you will have a lot of fun regardless (Slovenija OR Austria).

EDIT: the hotel to stay in Bled is Hotel Park, but ONLY if they guarantee you lake view room with balcony. Make sure you get that. Below two pictures from our balcony taken by my wife with point-and-shoot. Horrible quality, but it will give you an idea.

Last edited by zoltrix; 11-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Question - since I'm passing Zell am See - how much time should I allow myself for this?

Can I stop by, pop out, quick pic and move on? Or is this worth spending more time?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:41 PM

Also, instead of staying in Salzburg and then staying in Berchtesgaden, I'm thinking about staying in Berchtesgaden only and using it as a base of operations to see Salzburg and the surrounding areas, before moving onto Grossglockner and points south.

Thoughts??
Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltrix View Post

Dolina - I guess you mean this http://www.dolina-soce.si/eng/ ?
Yes, that's it. It is such a beautiful drive.

Quote:
Hmm.. very interesting option. To be honest, it looks like quite a detour on the way to Ljubljana. I'm afraid that's gonna take a while to navigate that...

So, you can see - I can either do Lake Bled OR navigate the valley. Can't do both without a significant time/distance penalty.
True, you would need to allocate a day (considering all the stops) to go from Bled in the morning to Soca Valley and then catch highway to arrive in Ljubljana in the evening. However, I just want to point out that Slovenija is smaller than most counties in US southwest. If you stay on highway and don't stop, the drive from Villach to Koper (crossing the whole country north-south) would take you all of 2 hours or less.

One more thing, Slovenija is a beautiful country, but to be honest, the wow stuff is mostly in northwest corner and along western border. As you start moving south-east, you will be going towards "flatlands" (certainly not as flat as Kansas, but it feels flat after Alps in northwest corner).

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 11-08-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3, E70 X5
I think you are doing it all wrong.

Unless you enjoy a museum of anything on every corner, like museum of chocolate and stuck up, stiff, cold, unhappy people then skip Austria, especially Vienna. Go south where warmer climates make for warmer people, northern Italy - Trieste and then head to Budapest. Roads in "old soviet block" are not as good as in Germany, but way BETTER than anything in US.

Go south and east. I would only avoid Serbia and Bosnia, these two are still war ravaged. Seriously, Budapest is absolutely amazing and so far mostly only Europeans know that. I would also hit Prague, then Poland and Berlin...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Sportwagon
Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia are not EU countries and are not covered under issued insurance, so if Budapest is on your list after Lake Bled, go EAST and not south into Croatia.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E61 M Sport/2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORLAP View Post
Unless you enjoy a museum of anything on every corner, like museum of chocolate and stuck up, stiff, cold, unhappy people then skip Austria, especially Vienna. Go south where warmer climates make for warmer people, northern Italy - Trieste and then head to Budapest. Roads in "old soviet block" are not as good as in Germany, but way BETTER than anything in US.

Go south and east. I would only avoid Serbia and Bosnia, these two are still war ravaged. Seriously, Budapest is absolutely amazing and so far mostly only Europeans know that. I would also hit Prague, then Poland and Berlin...
Wow. Let me give some contradictory advice...I've Euro Delivered 5 BMW's and travel to Europe 4-5 times a year for both business and pleasure. If you want culture, scenery, old architecture, and better food, most cities in Austria outperform the Czech Republic and Germany by a wide margin. Prague is beautiful but doable in two days because it is lacking in culture...while architecturally beautiful the food is generally substandard and you are constantly asking yourself what happened that this population built such a beautiful city and yet feels so unsophisticated. Berlin is also a two day deal. Most major cities in Germany were leveled in WWII. Only the industrial rail yards and outer-lying areas of Vienna were successfully bombed in WWII. Vienna is the culinary center of the German speaking people. Salzburg is beautiful, can feel touristy but the surrounding towns are amazing. Hit Hangar-7 near the Salzburg airport if you want to see Red Bull's tribute to speed and food. Slovenia broke off from the rest of Yugoslavia because they have all the wealth...don't be discouraged from checking it out. If you want visit a cool place in Bavaria, check out Landshut, it is an hour from Munich and to me the quintessential Bavarian town.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Should I do Slovenia

(Here's the deal. I have 10 days to get from Munich to Vienna in late May. I really like the pictures (?) of Lake Bled and other Slovenian places)

We flew into Venice, stayed a few days then went to Slovenia - mostly around Bled - for a week and loved it. I had a rental but would have absolutely no reservations about taking an ED car there (I've done 3 EDs).

As an alternative to Hotel Park if you like smaller places, let me recommend Penzion Meyer. It's a stones throw from the hotel. (Picture below.)

I've also attached a few pictures from Lake Bled and surroundings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000453.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	350546   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000497.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	350547   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000504.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	350548   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000535.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	350549  
Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Austria is beautiful and plenty to see and do but keep in the back of your mind the speed cameras when traveling and there are many of them. In most cases you won't know you were sited until 3 months later. Good luck
Enjoy
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: MB CLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORLAP View Post
Unless you enjoy a museum of anything on every corner, like museum of chocolate and stuck up, stiff, cold, unhappy people then skip Austria, especially Vienna.
As someone 50% Austrian, I have to take issue with your unusual take on the Austrian people! Sorry you got a culture shock, but we enjoy museums and have centuries and centuries of history to preserve. As for unhappy people - out of 124 countries, Austria was recently judged by the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...y.html#photo=3) to have the 13th happiest population out of 135 countries. To judge all Austrians the same way as the Viennese, where, agreed, there are lots of stuck-up, stiff and cold people, is equally wrong as judging all Americans as if they are all New Yorkers (and apologies to all New Yorkers, for I have found them to be wonderfully polite people, contrary to the popular belief). I dont know what caused you to have your viewpoint, but my guess is that you didn't venture off the tourist track.

Winter Tire Rentals Munich, Germany
Vacation Property Rentals

Last edited by john lance; 11-24-2012 at 11:21 AM.