Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-29-2012, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Clunking noise in the front

Please help with the loud clunking noise that I hear during driving in the BMW X5 4.4L, 2004 model front wheels. what can cause it? Someone says it might be the front diff but I am not realy sure what could be broken.
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 X5
Pretty vague in your description and the situations in which you've noticed it happening.

Off hand I would say the sway bar link but without more info I could throw a few other "maybe's" at you.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 AM

Angry Clunking noise in the front

Thanks for the response, and to explain it further, this loud clunking noise, like I said, is heared from the front wheels, even during straight driving. Before the noise came, at one point while doing around 80mph, there was a short instance where it seemed like I had applied emergency brakes, but only to the front wheels, which almost caused me to lose control of the vehicle. When I got home and was trying to drive over a curb stone, the front wheels seemed not to be pulling and a loud, grinding noise was heared. It sounded like some splines that are broken and rubbing against each other.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Is it all the time? During acceleration from stop? Just idling?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 AM

all the time, during driving and the knocking becomes faster with speed
Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x5, VW passat
the first thing that comes to mind with what your describing is a problem with your driveshaft and/or your transfer case (pray its not). after doing alot of researching online about my new(used) x5 i found that a major design flaw with the E53's was its transfer case (one of very few american made parts on the E53) and the front drive shaft. alot of people have many different ideas as why this happens to the X5. some people say that drive shaft is far too short in the Spline area. some people say its weak material used to make the drive shaft and some people think it can be due to an unbalance driveshaft or a faulty transfer case. the grinding noise you described is possibly the chain in the TC rubbing against the walls of the case. the chains can stretch and need to be replace it usually costs around 150$CAD not including labour if its just the drive shaft they go anywhere from 400-700$ VERY EASY install. if its the transfer case thats gone it runs around 1200$ and if thats the case chances are you need new driveshaft too. sometimes you can take the TC into a transmission place and get them to replace the chain and gears to save alot of cash. if it is only your driveshaft i recommend upgrading to a new driveshaft with extended Splines because its about an 1.5'' longer than stock which helps get maximum contact and its also made with a stronger material so they dont wear as easily. dont buy a re-manned driveshaft to save cash because this problem happens to the E53 every 80xxx-120xxx kms ebay sells an upgraded driveshaft and i found a site online that sells TC parts called cobra transmission.

from what you explained with the start of grinding turning into clunking and knocking it sounds very much like what i described up top. i would get it checked out asap because if you keep driving and it breaks on you, you will be stranded and towing always sucks. one way to tell if your DS has broken is if you put it in park or drive and it still rolls. so keep your parking breaks on when not driving for the time being untill you find out exactly whats wrong with you E53

hope i helped
Old 11-03-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5 diesel
I had exactly the same experience with my 3.0 diesel . Front wheels suddenly locked up and clucking noises from the front left side.

I m afraid , your front diff is shot or the bearing inside the Diff is gone. Happened to me and I replaced the diff and problem solved.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 PM

Thanks a lot for the responses. I have parked it and will have it checked by a mechanic asap.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4i
Cluncking noise in X5 front

The problem you report is somewhat similar to mine, i drive a 2006 X5 4,4i and not for the first time, i have this noise that comes up when i turn the steering wheel, or just drive over corrugation/pot holes. I took it to the boys in Mafikeng BMW and they replaced what i now know is called a stabiliser link. that was two years ago.The noise started a few weeks ago again, and just yesterday i was having my entire brake discs replaced, and the mechanic to lift the vehicle on the lift and do a quick inspection. He immediately told me i need to have the front stabiliser link replaced.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4i
Cluncking noise in X5 front

The problem you report is somewhat similar to mine, i drive a 2006 X5 4,4i and not for the first time, i have this noise that comes up when i turn the steering wheel, or just drive over corrugation/pot holes. I took it to the boys in Mafikeng BMW and they replaced what i now know is called a stabiliser link. that was two years ago.The noise started a few weeks ago again, and just yesterday i was having my entire brake discs replaced at Auto Brake in Gaborone, and i asked the mechanic to lift the vehicle (on the hydraulic lift) and do a quick inspection. He is a fitter, not even a BMW mechanic, and he immediately told me i need to have the front stabiliser link replaced.