Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 1.9
obc install

Hello,
I have a z3 2000 1.9 and i want to install the obc. Online I have read that the car is prewired for it. I need some help as to where the wires are and also where the gong's position is and where its wires are.
In other words... where do I put the gong??? Any pics would be apreciated!!!
Thank you
Ads by Google
Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Need a tow?

Mein Auto: '99 Z3 2.8/'04 X5
I did this on my '99.

The wiring is in the console, behind all the switches. You have to dig a bit, mine was wrapped and sorta near the passenger side.

The gong is near your right shin inside the console covers, when in the drive position. The mount is part of the plastic cover. The chime has several places to plug in wiring. Are you sure you don't have one already? If you get a noise when you leave your lights on, or don't hook your seatbelt, you already have a gong.

You also need to replace the turn signal switch with an OBC style one, and add the temp probe near the passenger headlight.

If you purchase a new OBC, you have 36 hours to code the car after applying power the first time.

The chime location is near the #7 in this diagram. in fact 7 is the grill to let the sound out.
The wiring is in the vicinity of where the 18 number is, if the 18 mark actually was physically in the car.

Last edited by Giznaz; 10-29-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:55 AM

thank you so much for your reply.
I will try to install it and reply here with my progress.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 AM

Ok I received by mail the external temperature sensor. In another thread I saw this picture which shows where to mount it.

I found no such mount at my bumper.
Anyway I started to search the cable that the sensor connects to. I figures the cable would come to the front from the drivers side from the fuse box.
So first I tried to remove the drivers side headlight figuring it would be easier than removing the whole airbox. Unfortunately after unscrewing two screws from the front and 1 screw on the left of the headlight I saw that there was one more screw at the back of the headlight which I had no access to. Understanding that I was screwed I screwed the 3 screws back on.
I then proceeded to remove the whole airbox. Having not done this before it took a while but in the end was relatively easy. Under the airbox I discovered the fabled yellow plug! It had a black plastic covering the plug probably in order to keep it dry. Inspecting it more closely I saw that there was very little length of cable free. It would be impossible for it to reach the passenger side of the car.
I plugged the sensor on the cable and positioned it in the gap between the headlight and the front mask.
Mission Accomplished. I now have 3 things left to install: OBC unit, OBC left steering wheel lever and the gong.
I have the gong now.
What panels do I have to remove in order to install it? And in what order?
Thanks everyone