Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
X3 loaner 50 k Seriously?

Not to offend anyone who has one but the loaner I have ,2013 X3 w/ N20:

Hard to believe this is a 50k car ???? Steering is finger light and it just reeks of overall cheapness, the process to shut the car off??? Push the starter button twice, why not just once like on the E70 ( vehicle does have comfort access) The suspension is super soft and floaty on the highway, is this the direction that BMW is heading ????
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Well this the price of trying to expand to a larger demographic of buyers.

Did you try pressing the rocker switch and changing the drive modes between sport+ - comfort. Any response changes.

Although that traditional feeling is gone, by checking off the right option packages, your bound to approach that original tight steering feeling.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
This is when you leave for a P car/truck

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 11-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
I was going to buy a fully loaded X3 3.5 too.... I like the X5 a lot better now... lol
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
Not to offend anyone who has one but the loaner I have ,2013 X3 w/ N20:

Hard to believe this is a 50k car ???? Steering is finger light and it just reeks of overall cheapness, the process to shut the car off??? Push the starter button twice, why not just once like on the E70 ( vehicle does have comfort access) The suspension is super soft and floaty on the highway, is this the direction that BMW is heading ????
Wait, my X5 takes two presses to turn off the entire thing. First press to turn off the engine. Second one to turn off the iDrive screens and everything else. Am I missing something?

As for the X3 being soft in suspension, there must be something different about the x3 I rode in the shuttle today. It had a muted road feedback. It means that you can still feel the road imperfection but not sharp to the point you feel it really hurts. Still, I would not call it sport suspension. It is still darn right more comfortable than my Honda Accord. In any case, I firmly believe tire pressure and tire makes a difference. I suspect the tire pressure was on the softer side of things on your X3.

Generally, I judge how good is a suspension by telling what kind of road I am driving on and how suspension maximize the tire contact to the road. Stiff suspension does not make a car more sporty. Its how it makes the tire and entire chassis work during cornering that makes a huge difference.

X3 does have a feeling of cheapness. That is why I got X5 instead. Not only that, I really like adaptive drive (both adaptive suspension and adaptive anti-roll bar.)

The one thing I do like about X3 is that it is small. You can not beat physics. Small and lighter cars are much more "sporter" than heavy and large cars of the same class. Its a matter of physics.

This is one of favorite clip from Top Gear. Its a funny show. It talks about McLaren suspension. That in part is made possible by fully independent suspension. Jump to 1:25 for discussion on suspension. A good suspension looses its soul but its great in performance. Actually, I think it is lack of loosing control that made it less fun.

Last edited by henrycyao; 11-06-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Fixed typo on McLaren name.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
That $50K will get you a loaded X1 28i up here....lol.

Just be glad they didn't stick you in one of those. Worst excuse for a BMW ever. You should have seen the look on my wife's face when I turned in her 750 keys for service and handed her back the keys to the X1.....she was even less impressed after actually driving it.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Yea I kinda wondered that myself, you have a huge price gulf between the X1 and X3 and then a little gap between the X5. Very strange pricing

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: German
Yup, a loaded X3 creeps up on the X5 quite fast. And the N20 is terrible in such a large car.

If the next X5 is anything like the X5, Porsche here I come
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM

Im pretty certain that the next X5 will be lighter. That being said if they include a N20 as base motor, theyre pretty much approaching the limit on what that engine can accomplish. The N55 would be a better fit, for the next gen X5. Hence were probably gonna see the N55 or some updated version of that motor.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF02 View Post
Yea I kinda wondered that myself, you have a huge price gulf between the X1 and X3 and then a little gap between the X5. Very strange pricing
the X1 and X3 have a price gap that differs in the high quadruple digits, while the X3 to X5, vary in the low quintet digits.

Each of the next smaller takes on the X6 (X4 and possibly an x2) will probably fill up that price gap.

Why does this matter?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Im pretty certain that the next X5 will be lighter. That being said if they include a N20 as base motor, theyre pretty much approaching the limit on what that engine can accomplish. The N55 would be a better fit, for the next gen X5. Hence were probably gonna see the N55 or some updated version of that motor.
I'm predicting N55HP ( high powered ) 315 hp, 330 torque
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Yup, a loaded X3 creeps up on the X5 quite fast. And the N20 is terrible in such a large car.

If the next X5 is anything like the X5, Porsche here I come
I dont think BMW can afford to screw it up, the Merc and Lexus were just redesigned, and those are the main competitors, at least out here.

I had a X5d loaner for a couple days, and some parts like lack of comfort access in a 60k SUV was disappointing. But It was a really nice tractor, err SAV If I was in the market and needed a SUV, I'd seriously consider getting one.

As far as the engine, people feared the 740 N54 would be too slow, and although its not going to ever outrun my SRT - Its more than adequate, and never feels slow. Also the turbo 4 in the F10, feels more than adequate. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but BMW really hasnt disappointed me thus so far. I've had issues, and had the experience to be in a F30, F10, and a E70 loaners, and none were slow or boring.

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 11-07-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF02 View Post
I dont think BMW can afford to screw it up, the Merc and Lexus were just redesigned, and those are the main competitors, at least out here.
Mercedes was just redesigned. Lexus got a mid cycle facelift. New Q7 is around the corner. Porsche just brought out the Cayenne diesel. Lots of competition in this segment now

Quote:

I had a X5d loaner for a couple days, and some parts like lack of comfort access in a 60k SUV was disappointing. But It was a really nice tractor, err SAV If I was in the market and needed a SUV, I'd seriously consider getting one.
It's ridiculous that CA is an option at this price point. It was an extra $1k, so I really didn't bother getting it when I ordered my car. Why can Toyota make it standard on a $24k Prius?

Regret not getting the HUD though.

Quote:
As far as the engine, people feared the 740 N54 would be too slow, and although its not going to ever outrun my SRT - Its more than adequate, and never feels slow. Also the turbo 4 in the F10, feels more than adequate. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but BMW really hasnt disappointed me thus so far. I've had issues, and had the experience to be in a F30, F10, and a E70 loaners, and none were slow or boring.
N54 is still making 300 hp. That's not bad at all in a 7 series. The A8 also offers the 3.0T in base trim now.

The N20 is powerful, but has no place in a higher end model like a 5 series (or even an X3). In a 3 series, it's awesome, but I don't understand the appeal in a X3. Once you start loading up an X3, the jump to the 35i isn't that much.

Back on topic of the X3, I don't understand why people would buy loaded models of the X3 when the X5 is only a little "jump" away. X5 drives better, has better steering feel, looks better, and you're really not missing any tech options. Not to mention, diesel power!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Im pretty certain that the next X5 will be lighter. That being said if they include a N20 as base motor, theyre pretty much approaching the limit on what that engine can accomplish.
Not really. The N20's boost isn't up all the way. It is making 240hp to the wheels in the 328i, which makes it much more powerful than the old 3.0i in the X5. I just don't think a 4 cylinder belong in BMW's higher end models like a 5 series/X5, etc.

I don't really see BMW offering 5 engine options for the X5 for the next gen. N20, N55 (uprated?), N57, N63 (50i), and M variant.

Probably just N55, N57 (diesel), 50i, and M
Old 11-07-2012, 03:53 PM

I think its dependent on what you find most useful. Do you want the next-greatest thing BMW has (X3) or a platform on its way out. There are lot of options that makes the fit and finish of a new X5 archaic by the X3 (HUD, panel display, lane assistance, and performance modes). That being said, an X3 loaded is almost the same $$ of a bare bone X5. At that point, the X5 makes sense for a) price b) size.

Once the new X5 comes out, expect the invoice of the X5 to be higher. For arguments sake, the invoice of the ML is currently $49,xxx, the E70 is $47,XXX so its about $10k from the invoice of an X3. However im betting were gonna see an invoice price change for the F15, and it makes the X5 seem out of reach for X3 buyers.

Why does this matter?