Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
I was quoted $1,550 from the BMW dealer in North Orange County. I too would prefer an indepentent shop to install the hitch, but I'm worried about coding as well. My boat/trailer weigh 4k lbs but I only plan on towing from the house to the ramp, 5 miles each way.

Anyone have experience with this in Orange County area?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5d
Hey rodnjen, depends if you really want OEM hitch. I just called a local shop here in Northern Cali and told they done a few X5 hitch install and told me it will cost a little over $700.00 out the door (including wiring). The shop name is Rack N road.

they have several shops in california, here is the one in Southern California.

Costa Mesa Store
1995 Harbor Blvd Suite A, Costa Mesa, CA
Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Thank you very much! I have never heard of them but I will certainly give them a call. I don't really care about "OEM" vs. aftermarket, I am more interested in the skill/knowledge level of the staff.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Plus if you lease, I am pretty sure the VPC install can be residualized, whereas the dealer installed one cannot.

Emission (Mike) was the first 'Fester I know of who got the VPC install (through Jon Shafer). See if you can search out his thread, as it has some great info.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
+1

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:50 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFastX5 View Post
It was a little over $400 . That included the hitch around $170, another $100 or so for the electrical harness, and the rest just labor.
No issue with codes, I don't see why there would be. But I didn't get it reprogrammed to enable the zoom feature on reverse camera.
There does not appear to be ANY ZOOM feature on reverse...even from BMW programming themselves. At least my dealer "didn't have a clue "regarding any zoom or view of the ball area itself. I did specifically ask and the tech came out and said..."No, there is no different VIEW. The reprogram just turns off the reverse sensors..." Please let me know if ANYONE has heard of any type of zoom feature. Thanks.

PS - I have not (yet) hooked up a trailer so if these features only show up then, I would not know until I have a chance to connect a trailer. Here is a pic of mine installed...

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-03-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D
The zoom feature is only present in the CCC, not in the CIC available 2010 onwards. You do not need a trailer brake controller if your trailer has surge brakes, only if it has electrical brakes.

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |

Last edited by blue dragon; 11-04-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
The zoom feature is only present in the CCC, not in the CIC available 2010 onwards. You do not need a trailer brake controller if your trailer has surge brakes, only if it has electrical brakes.
What is CCC or CIC? I understand that the CIC is current and interpret this as meaning that my 2012 model won't have zoom but what do those acronyms stand for?

Brake controllers - As I understand it, 5K is the maximum that these vehicles can tow. To me, that is honestly not really enough to require a brake controller unless your planned routes go up and down a lot of mountains but I guess others might feel a need. I've towed 4,500lbs boats with no separate independent (or linked) trailer brakes but that was all flat ground (for the most part). Only towing I am considering for the future is a couple of motorcycles in a trailer (likely no more than 3,500lbs) so I am wondering if I need to look for a trailer with a specific type of electrical braking as part of it's composition or not even bother with it? if so, what should I shop for?

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-04-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 PM

I have the X5 in today for the first service and a software update. I tell th SA that I need a hitch but they seem a little high and ask him to check into it and get back to me.

He sends me a written quote of $2074!!!! WTF? I had a previous quote from same dealer of $1550 or so. Rack & Road quoted me $750 and the local hitch shop quoted me $500.

How hard could it be to put one on? I know it's already been coverd on here it just really makes me mad and makes me have very little faith in my dealer.

Does anyone have a contact for this VPC install.

Last edited by rodnjen; 11-07-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnjen View Post
I have the X5 in today for the first service and a software update. I tell th SA that I need a hitch but they seem a little high and ask him to check into it and get back to me.

He sends me a written quote of $2074!!!! WTF? I had a previous quote from same dealer of $1550 or so. Rack & Road quoted me $750 and the local hitch shop quoted me $500.

How hard could it be to put one on? I know it's already been coverd on here it just really makes me mad and makes me have very little faith in my dealer.

Does anyone have a contact for this VPC install.
It's not 'hard' to put on... but the kit alone will cost you about $500 (if my memory serves me). There is some bolting, some wiring and some cutting. Of course, there is also the ECU flashing... and that gets costly.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si Coupe
I have downloaded the 2012 or 2013 Owner's Manuals for the X1, X3, and X5 and cannot seem to find any of the permitted payload or towing capacities typically found in other manufacturer's manuals. Usually I can find the braked and unbraked trailer capacities, permissible tongue weight, and any derating of tow capacity due to vehicle loading. None of this information seems to be in the Owner's manuals or even in the online specifications listed at BMWUSA.com.

An email to BMWUSA resulted in a reply that I should contact my local BMW Service center as they have the technical expertise to answer my questions. An email to my local Service center resulted in a reply from a salesman. He was not able to point me to any documentation with these specifications. Instead he just stated maximum capacities which I can only assume are for a trailer with brakes.

Last edited by UncleScottie; 03-12-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
^^ I agree that BMW does not make it easy to find their published towing capacities. The capacities for the X1, X3, and X5 are published by BMW in the international versions of the respective vehicle catalogs, but you really have to dig to find those catalogs. Here are the published towing capacities, along with links to the pdf catalogs:

X1:
unbraked max towed weight = 750kg
braked max towed weight = 1700-2000kg (depending on engine)
max tongue weight = 80kg
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...?download=true
see the "Weight" section of the Technical Data Table, page 71

X3:
braked max towed weight = 2000-2400kg (depending on engine)
max tongue weight = 100kg
see the "Weight section of the Technical Data Table, page 65

X5:
braked max towed weight = 3500kg
max tongue weight = unspecified (we recommend 200kg max)
see the "Weight" section of the Technical Data Table, page 69

If you click the links for the pdf manuals, be prepared to wait a bit before anything appears... the manuals are pretty large pdf files and the bmw server is slow.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si Coupe
Yes, I've seen those brochures before for other markets, but I thought if one ever has any warranty claim disputes it is the Owner's manual and or placard that will get referenced. Brochures are just marketing material are they not?

For X5 owners, is any of the towing or at least GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating) specifications on any of the placards on vehicle? I know if a State or DMV cop wants to bust your chops about towing they'll look at the placard. I believe here in Connecticut it is a $100 fine for every 1000 lbs over the vehicles allowable limit, so if the placard doesn't show a towing capacity or GCVWR it could get expensive.

I have the same question with regard to the X1 and X3, but I would probably be asking that in those specific forums.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Ahhh, yours is more of a legal question. The official BMW North America tow ratings will differ from the bmw chassis ratings that I posted above. BMWNA only provides a tow rating for use of their hitch on their vehicle. This results in lower tow ratings than the international ratings that I posted above.

Since BMWNA does not offer a hitch for the X1, you will not find a tow rating from them for that vehicle. Again, they only issue a tow rating for the combination of using their tow hitch on their vehicle.

For the X3 and X5, their hitch installation manuals show their tow rating as 3,500 lbs and 6,000 lbs respectively, with max tongue weight shown as 10% of those values. I know of no other place where this information is published by BMWNA.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com