Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
I messed up, help needed ASAP

I got a warning message "Washer fluid low", so I put the following solution IN, and it turns out this is a wrong solution, please check. Ofcourse the solution is not coming out of the windshield. what shall I do ? please help

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-B...-1gal/16817514
Ads by Google
Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
Its just windshield washer fluid. Its no different than other solutions. It may have 'bug removal' chemicals but it works the same as regular fluids. I don't see your problem.
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 AM

so this is not for external use only, I mean for manual wash of windshield?

if not, then it should have worked right, but when I pull the knob/handle then wiper is wiping but there is no liquid coming out on the windshield...what could be the issue here ? plz help
Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkumararora5 View Post
so this is not for external use only, I mean for manual wash of windshield?

if not, then it should have worked right, but when I pull the knob/handle then wiper is wiping but there is no liquid coming out on the windshield...what could be the issue here ? plz help
The label says windshield washer fluid.

But it does not seem to say anything about it not freezing, so that might be a concern.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: E60 with a turbo
did you pull and hold for abit to let the pump suck up the fluid to the nozzle?? assuming you did completely run out the fluid previously??
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
If you live in a cold environment you would probably be screwed, since the new "summer" windshield washer fluid aka it freezes.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead2267 View Post
did you pull and hold for abit to let the pump suck up the fluid to the nozzle?? assuming you did completely run out the fluid previously??
what do you mean ? It did run out completely before this, I got the warning message, and that's why I filled it.

BTW, I am in CA, so no chanced of Freeze. as the temperature today was 65 F..
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: E60 '08 535xi, E83 '07 X3
Where exactly did you pour the new fluid in?
BMWCCA #135536
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: A Car
If youre really that worried, start your car and spray the hell out of it (I mean use it all) and then refill with your preferred windshield solution.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: E60 with a turbo
what i'm saying is try to pull and hold the wiper control(like how we use the headlight washer, need to pull and hold the control stick) give few sec for the pump suck up the fluid. since the hose from the tank to the nozzle is all empty. it need the pump able to suck up fluid from the tank and fill up the hose before the fluid could eject from the nozzle if that makes more sense to you??
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM

So I'm confused I thought ur issue was the type of fluid u had filled the car with. If your having an issue with the fluid not coming out ur nozzles, then I would checking if there are any blockages from tank and if the Motor is working

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkumararora5 View Post
I got a warning message "Washer fluid low", so I put the following solution IN, and it turns out this is a wrong solution, please check. Ofcourse the solution is not coming out of the windshield. what shall I do ? please help

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-B...-1gal/16817514
That appears to be a concentrated cleaner to be used while washing the car, not normal windshield cleaner, which is much thinner, doesn't contain much soap and is safe to allow to dry on your finish.

I would purchase a pump similar to one like this and pump as much as you can out before refilling the tank with water and pumping it out again. Then refill with the correct fluid.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

An alternate would be to sit in your driveway and pump the fluid continuously while someone else runs a hose on the car and windshield to wash it away. Only concern would be the windshield washer pump might not be designed to pump out the entire contents of the tank in one operation so the pump might overheat (I don't know how robust it is). Replacing the pump would certainly be more expensive than taking the cautious route and buying a fluid transfer pump and removing it manually.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Have someone stand out and listen for your pumps when you pull the lever for the fluid. If they hear the pumps you have a clogged line. If they don't here the pumps check the fuse, the connection to the pump etc, you might have just had a jump fail in which case you'll need a new one, I have new pumps avaible for your 5285i HERE.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
That appears to be a concentrated cleaner to be used while washing the car, not normal windshield cleaner, which is much thinner, doesn't contain much soap and is safe to allow to dry on your finish.

I would purchase a pump similar to one like this and pump as much as you can out before refilling the tank with water and pumping it out again. Then refill with the correct fluid.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

An alternate would be to sit in your driveway and pump the fluid continuously while someone else runs a hose on the car and windshield to wash it away. Only concern would be the windshield washer pump might not be designed to pump out the entire contents of the tank in one operation so the pump might overheat (I don't know how robust it is). Replacing the pump would certainly be more expensive than taking the cautious route and buying a fluid transfer pump and removing it manually.
I am guessing this is the problem, this solution is too concentrated, I will see If i can get this pump.... or do you have any other way to suck this liquid out ? Thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Put some Drano in it. JK. sounds like it might be your pump.

Do not put Drano.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 PM

For a better solution in the future, wax your windshield, yes, I mean it trust me it works, the same stuff you use to wax your paint, it will literally seal it, even when it rains the difference is amazing
Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 AM

Thanks, my car is under BMW extended warranty plan, do you think they will cover this pump ?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 AM

You have to take it to the dealer to find out about your warranty, sad news are that they are going to tell you to leave it there because they have to diagnose what the cause is and to find out if the part is under warranty, most likely it's not covered because its not detrimental for the vehicle. But unless you ask you'll never know.
My philosophy for that part will be; is it worth the money when it's something you almost never use? And when you use it you still have to use elbow grease because everything was just smeared all over the windshield.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 AM

If you take your vehicle in with the concentrated fluid in your system, chances are theyre gonna be like it your fault, not covered. I would read up on what is covered and what is not, in your policy. Remember that these policies, like any contract are subject to interpretation, and you better believe theyre going to try to find a way to interpret in their favor.

my thing is, try an find a suction pump, from either a car parts store, or even a pet store (they stock suction pumps for fish tanks). Try and see if you can get the solution out. Then run some water and see if the pump activates, or has it really burned out. If its burned, out, Remove Water, and add some washer fluid (read the labels first, and see if its CONCENTRATED or NOT). Then bring it in to the service center.

If you cant find any of the above ways possible. SImply drop it off at the dealership or BMW Indy, and open your wallet.

Why does this matter?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:52 PM

I just replaced this pump at less then $20. It is a simple DIY, about 30 mins. Remove driver side front wheel, remove half a dozen screws, peel back lining, disconnect fluid line, pop out pump, replace pump. Have you checked above ECSTuning link? More detailed DIYs are on this board. Replacing a windshield washer pump is probably the least expensive and easiest repair your bimmer will ever need.
A dealer will most likely charge $60 for the pump plus 1 hour labor.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune
Old 11-07-2012, 01:00 PM
OBDI Junkie

Mein Auto: E36 M3
I did not thoroughly read through the thread- because I started to get a migraine.

But- this appears to be pretty simple. Windshield wash is windshield wash. The link / pic you provided is that of windshield wash. Blue, green, pink-- whatever-- color matters not. When you poured it, did it appear to have a high viscosity? No-- because the pic / link is that of windshield wash. This is not that big a deal... what's the problem? If it's not pumping- check for pump actuation. Other's have mentioned having a partner listen outside, but cant you hear it from the drivers seat anyway? I can. Pull the stalk and wait for it to spray- and forget about it.

If you don't hear the pump, then you have some other issue that is not related to putting prestone bug wash in the tank instead of BMW windshield wash- period. --assuming there are no other variables.

BTW, external use means don't drink it. There is an idiot-gliph on the windshield washer reservoir-- did you pour the stuff in the right place? Maybe that's why it's not working. Perhaps you poured it into the crankcase, power steering reservoir, master cylinder reservoir-- or into the air cleaner. Who knows. Not intended to be offensive-- just trying to put it into perspective

Last edited by mgoods50; 11-07-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:06 PM
OBDI Junkie

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
If you take your vehicle in with the concentrated fluid in your system, chances are theyre gonna be like it your fault, not covered. I would read up on what is covered and what is not, in your policy. Remember that these policies, like any contract are subject to interpretation, and you better believe theyre going to try to find a way to interpret in their favor.

my thing is, try an find a suction pump, from either a car parts store, or even a pet store (they stock suction pumps for fish tanks). Try and see if you can get the solution out. Then run some water and see if the pump activates, or has it really burned out. If its burned, out, Remove Water, and add some washer fluid (read the labels first, and see if its CONCENTRATED or NOT). Then bring it in to the service center.

If you cant find any of the above ways possible. SImply drop it off at the dealership or BMW Indy, and open your wallet.
Sorry, but if you poured a liquid thick enough to stall out and burn up a pump into the reservoir you need to be under warranty-- and not filling things yourself. My mother, for example, knows better than to even open the hood.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM

Timeout everyone, the liquid that I put in, is not concentrated. the label says I can put in at full strength.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Is the pump working? Pull the stalk and you can hear it.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune
Old 11-08-2012, 05:11 AM
what does this button do?

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
I use the same bug wash in my e60 and it works fine. Check your pump or for blockages.

Current:
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
Retired:
95 e36 M3/5spd, 96 328is/5spd, 97 540iA, 98 528iA, 01 X5 4.4iA, 03 325xiA, 04 530iA, 02 330Cic/5spd, 08 535xit