Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 Xdrive diesel
Exclamation Putting X5 off the road for 6 months

Hi all, I am going to be out of the country for 6 months so my X5 will be in the garage. With all my previous cars I would disconnect the battery (good security and stops the battery getting run down by the car), but with the X5 I have been told that this is not the right solution. Also those geniuses in germany built an SUV that does not have a manual way to open the trunk (no key access!!). I would appreciate any advice available as to how I could remove the battery and still be able to lock the car and then re-open the trunk on my return to install the battery again.
Ads by Google
Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndell View Post
Hi all, I am going to be out of the country for 6 months so my X5 will be in the garage. With all my previous cars I would disconnect the battery (good security and stops the battery getting run down by the car), but with the X5 I have been told that this is not the right solution. Also those geniuses in germany built an SUV that does not have a manual way to open the trunk (no key access!!). I would appreciate any advice available as to how I could remove the battery and still be able to lock the car and then re-open the trunk on my return to install the battery again.
Aren't there jump-start terminals inside the engine bay that are remotely connected to the battery? If so, you can temporarily connect your battery to those points in order to open the hatch.

I would add biocide, Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement, and fill your tank to the brim. Also put your vehicle on jackstands to avoid flat-spotting the tires. If you have any concerns about rodent infestation, I've read that the fabric softener sheets for your drier are good for repelling them.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Just make sure you take the dryer sheets out before recommissioning the car.