Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 530i 5-speed, SP, PP
Replacement HL assembly has amber turn signal reflectors; OEM was clear

Both Xenon headlight assemblies on my '03 530i were replaced due to broken adjusters from a minor collision (insurance paid). My original turn signal round lens reflectors were clear with amber bulbs. Replacement headlight assemblies were ordered from Germany (none were available stateside through BMW) and the new ones have amber turn signal round lens reflectors with clear bulbs. My VIN was used in the order and the correct part number was given.

I prefer the look of the clear turn signal lens reflectors but I am stuck with amber. The good news is that the headlight assemblies came with all new bulbs, including the xenon bulbs, preinstalled.

Interestingly, there was another '03 530i at the shop that was built five months after mine and it had amber lens reflectors. I wonder if the lens color was changed in mid-year model cycle and the only replacements assemblies available now have the amber turn signal lens reflectors.

Does anyone know why the colors are different?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
'03 530i 5-speed, Sport & Premium Pkgs
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Sounds like you had aftermarket headlights.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Not aftermarket. I bought the car new...special ordered it through the BMW dealer to get the manual transmission. It came from Germany with clear OEM headlight assembly turn signal reflectors.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: '98 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I thought only the euro models had the clear corners.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I thought only the euro models had the clear corners.
My corners were originally amber...I am talking about the small round turn signal reflector between the xenon bulb and the amber corner reflector.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5 View Post
Both Xenon headlight assemblies on my '03 530i were replaced due to broken adjusters from a minor collision (insurance paid). My original turn signal round lens reflectors were clear with amber bulbs. Replacement headlight assemblies were ordered from Germany (none were available stateside through BMW) and the new ones have amber turn signal round lens reflectors with clear bulbs. My VIN was used in the order and the correct part number was given.

I prefer the look of the clear turn signal lens reflectors but I am stuck with amber. The good news is that the headlight assemblies came with all new bulbs, including the xenon bulbs, preinstalled.

Interestingly, there was another '03 530i at the shop that was built five months after mine and it had amber lens reflectors. I wonder if the lens color was changed in mid-year model cycle and the only replacements assemblies available now have the amber turn signal lens reflectors.

Does anyone know why the colors are different?
Not sure why, but you are correct there were two blinker versions. Have yours already been installed? You should be able order the other versions. This link has more information with part numbers courtesy of BayernKiwiBMW in an old thread. I am not sure if the part numbers are all correct, but it should help you narrow things down.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...68&postcount=8

The only other thing I can think of is if you have access to your old lights you should be able to swap the turn signal reflectors into the new headlights. Although given that you have a 2003 you may not be able to open them easily.

Your current ones look like these right?
Amber blinker w Amber corner (the blinker reflector is amber)

Your old ones looked like this right?
Clear blinker w Amber corner (blinker looks amber b/c of bulb & way pic was taken)

Close up of Clear blinker (ignore the fact that this is a clear corner euro version)

vs. Amber blinker

FYI there were 8 different combinations available 4 US versions and 4 Euro versions.

US DOT assemblies:

Halogen, clear blinker, lit amber corner
Halogen, amber blinker, lit amber corner
Xenon, clear blinker, lit amber corner
Xenon, amber blinker, lit amber corner:

European assemblies:

Halogen, clear blinker, unlit clear corner:
Halogen, amber blinker, unlit amber corner:
Xenon, clear blinker, unlit clear corner:
Xenon, amber blinker, unlit amber corner:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e39XamberBlink01.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	348832   Click image for larger version

Name:	e39_X_clear_blink.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	348833   Click image for larger version

Name:	e39_clear_blink_close.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	348834   Click image for larger version

Name:	e39_amb_blink_close.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	348835  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo12 View Post
Not sure why, but you are correct there were two blinker versions. Have yours already been installed? You should be able order the other versions. This link has more information with part numbers courtesy of BayernKiwiBMW in an old thread. I am not sure if the part numbers are all correct, but it should help you narrow things down.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...68&postcount=8

The only other thing I can think of is if you have access to your old lights you should be able to swap the turn signal reflectors into the new headlights. Although given that you have a 2003 you may not be able to open them easily.

Your current ones look like these right?
Amber blinker w Amber corner (the blinker reflector is amber)

Your old ones looked like this right?
Clear blinker w Amber corner (blinker looks amber b/c of bulb & way pic was taken)

Close up of Clear blinker (ignore the fact that this is a clear corner euro version)

vs. Amber blinker

FYI there were 8 different combinations available 4 US versions and 4 Euro versions.

US DOT assemblies:

Halogen, clear blinker, lit amber corner
Halogen, amber blinker, lit amber corner
Xenon, clear blinker, lit amber corner
Xenon, amber blinker, lit amber corner:

European assemblies:

Halogen, clear blinker, unlit clear corner:
Halogen, amber blinker, unlit amber corner:
Xenon, clear blinker, unlit clear corner:
Xenon, amber blinker, unlit amber corner:
Thank you very much for the info. The new ones have already been installed and look like the one in your first picture.

The plot thickens...

The independent BMW shop who did the work claim they ordered the replacements using my VIN. I just called my local BMW dealer and they said that my VIN shows I should have clear/white indicator reflectors with amber bulbs and they have a pair in stock. Unfortunately, the dealer will not do a trade...can't blame them really. I called my independent BMW shop back to see if they will make this right and get me the correct ones. They will have to discuss it with the owner and call me back Monday.

This whole thing is a pain in the arse and it is all because some idiot did not look when he backed up into my car while I was stopped behind him.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: '98 528
Good info Solo12.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 AM

After I pointed out to my independent BMW shop that there are different versions, he double checked and admits he ordered the wrong part number and he will get me the correct version.

I am speculating the different versions are tied to the car's suspension type. Another '03 530i in the shop was non-sport suspension and has amber signal reflectors. My car has the sport suspension and has clear/white signal reflectors.

Had it not been for Solo12 I would have been stuck with blinker reflectors that were incorrect for my VIN. Thanks Solo12...great job!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
No prob just paying it forward. Yeah it a little detail, but I know it would have absolutely driven me nuts. That is a great shop by the way. Sounds like they are going to have your business for years to come.

I wanted to chime in to say in case you have not done so already buy some lamin-x or xpel headlight film to protect those new lights.