Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760 Li
Update & observation

I begun the alternator housing removal process earlier on today. Apparently, I have an observation that I believe is worth sharing to everyone else. I have the 760 Model with the N73 Engine. Guess what guys, the alternator housing bracket in my 7 is independent and is NOT attached to the motor mount bracket assembly. By that I mean, contrary to most DIY's that I've read about, i did not have to remove and/or disassemble the left (driver side) motor mount in order to remove the housing. In fact, i did not have to move/ relocate the brake/ suspension fluid container either. Other than the left air intake assembly and fun clutch/ cowl, the only other thing I had to remove in order to make way for the alternator housing was the Power Steering Pump.
The second observation is that the alternator housing for N73 engine's has the oil supply/ oil cooler connection that has an attached thermostat controlled adaptor. The supply cooler line run from the engine through the alternator housing adaptor into the radiator then back into the engine via the return line. At first, I was a little skeptical to mess around with these lines cuz I thought they might be part of the AC refrigerant but they weren't. Anyway, I ended up ordering the two O-ring gaskets for these lines as well.

I'm glad that I got the removal process done but now I have to wait a WHOLE week for the gaskets before I put everything back together.

See pictures below.

Last edited by pkathee; 03-01-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Yes I was told there are 7 bolts that need to be removed to get the alternator out 13mm an 14mm then remove all hoses . I was told by a local tech that he has removed this thing in 47mins . Unfortunately he was unable to do mines last weekend. Hopefully he will this weekend .
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 PM

Leak fixed

Guys,
Just wanted to let you’ll know that I successfully replaced my Alternator Housing Gasket. Since my 760 (N73 Engine) doesn’t involve the removal of the driver side motor mount, I can say that I could do this job again within 2 hours……

Per my previous post, the ONLY reason why we are all involved with this nasty gasket repair is due to the ‘supposedly’ oil cooler lines passing through the damn thermostat controlled adaptor. The irony part of it is most of the 745’s and/or 750’s don’t even have this adaptor for the cooler lines and thus there is absolutely NO logic sense of having this gasket at this location in the first place.

To top if off, even though the 760 (N73 engine) is justified for this repair yet again, scope of work needed does NOT involve removal of the driver side motor mount unlike the 745’s and 750’s.

It’s called BMW Engineering…….FAILED…lol

Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 745LI
alternator bracket gasket

hey guys,

im currently working on this myself. I noticed need a special tool -115050 spanner to remove the fan wheel. i just ordered it. Can you guys please tell me ALL the tools need for this job? thanks
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsup? View Post
hey guys,

im currently working on this myself. I noticed need a special tool -115050 spanner to remove the fan wheel. i just ordered it. Can you guys please tell me ALL the tools need for this job? thanks
you can make your own tool...all you need is drill and metal cutter

here is me doing alternator bracket couple mnths ago with pics...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=637030
Old 10-31-2012, 02:33 AM

bayerisheteknik...
unfortunately i dont have a metal cutter...i already bought the 115050 spanner that will be used to remove the fan wheel...can you please tell the other tools needed for this job? sizes of torx..lifts..e.t.c? i ill like to get all the tools needed first. thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 AM

you need 8,10mm,12mm,13mm,15mm both socket and wrenches...metric allen set...and torx set...zip ties...jack....multiple extension in 3/8 and 1/2" with swivel adapters....of course if you have lift that makes it whole lot easier....and philips/flat screwdrivers...pliers...lighting...and cool head and you all set
Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM

thanks baterisheteknik...

i have all the tools mention except for the lift...what type of jack did you use to raise your engine? thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
thanks baterisheteknik...

i have all the tools mention except for the lift...what type of jack did you use to raise your engine? thanks
its pretty straight forward job...thanks to this forum and lots of info i wasn't scared to do it....i always worked on inline 6 as they are simple and lots of space but n62 is not that bad.....little tight in there but doable...

i used my low profile jack

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 AM

hey guys i have a 02 745Li...im working on this right now...im using Keif's images as a guide. Im having troubles taking out the fan wheel. i have the 32mm tool needed, which way do i turn the fan wheel bolt? it seems like its just rotating..thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
hey guys i have a 02 745Li...im working on this right now...im using Keif's images as a guide. Im having troubles taking out the fan wheel. i have the 32mm tool needed, which way do i turn the fan wheel bolt? it seems like its just rotating..thanks
it has reversed thread so you turn counterclockwise to take it off...i am talking about taking off the fan itself

good luck
Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 PM

alternator bracket gasket

thanks bayer...

i got it out..now im stuck with trying to get these 2 bolts out...the space is tight, nothing will fit, please check the link below, how can i get these 2 bolts out?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2810754...5467/lightbox/
Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
thanks bayer...

i got it out..now im stuck with trying to get these 2 bolts out...the space is tight, nothing will fit, please check the link below, how can i get these 2 bolts out?

i think the best way is to drop the powersteering pump first so you have space..dont disconnect it just use some zip ties....also i think you have to go from side and unbolt one bolt from behind..but first i would take out the generator from the housing to have better access too

also little clip of how it looks over there with everything out...

let us know how it goes...
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM

thanks man...im having problems dropping the power steering pump...i removed 2 bolts but its not moving at all..im i missing other bolts? thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
thanks man...im having problems dropping the power steering pump...i removed 2 bolts but its not moving at all..im i missing other bolts? thanks
oh yeah bro there is bolt from behind that you have to remove....squeeze your hand in there from left side and remove that bolt and it should release it...

the bolt goes in there and remove it from behind..

Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 AM

thanks...okay so i need to take out the generator from the housing inorder to reach the bolt on the back of the power steering pump. i have no idea what part this is..do you have any pics that shows the generator/housing that needs to be taking out? thanks for your time.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 AM

power steering pump

heres a picture of the bolt behind the power steering pump...im guessing this is the last bolt i need to remove to drop the power steering pump? where is the generator/ housing located.. there is no space from underneath or from top of engine area...now how do i get to this bolt? also, thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB080005.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	348843   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB080003.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	348844  
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
heres a picture of the bolt behind the power steering pump...im guessing this is the last bolt i need to remove to drop the power steering pump? where is the generator/ housing located.. there is no space from underneath or from top of engine area...now how do i get to this bolt? also, thanks for your help
first disconnect hoses coming to steering pump from reservoir so you can drop it down later on..then you get to that bolt from top of the engine,squeeze your hand in there from top and side of the engine...unscrew it and pwr steering comes out...

also i would take off that plastic pullie thats sitting on alternator housing so you can take off the 7-8 10mm bolts that hold alternator inside the alternator housing....i think there is a bolt under pullie is removed too
Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 AM

thanks a lot Bayer...i really appreciate it man, i dropped the PS pump, i had to take out the PS reservoir to have more space...now im trying to unbolt the alternator/bracket. im having problems getting to the 2 alternator bolts in the picture below, there isnt enough space..is there something i need to remove first to be able to get to it? also, how many bolts do i need to remove to free the alternator/bracket? i only removed one so far and do i need to lift the engine first before trying to unscrew the alternator bracket? please check out the picture below for the 2 bolts...thanks man, i really appreciate your help.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
thanks a lot Bayer...i really appreciate it man, i dropped the PS pump, i had to take out the PS reservoir to have more space...now im trying to unbolt the alternator/bracket. im having problems getting to the 2 alternator bolts in the picture below, there isnt enough space..is there something i need to remove first to be able to get to it? also, how many bolts do i need to remove to free the alternator/bracket? i only removed one so far and do i need to lift the engine first before trying to unscrew the alternator bracket? please check out the picture below for the 2 bolts...thanks man, i really appreciate your help.

hey bro anytime...good job
you can first unbolt one bolt thats holding those 2 metal pipes under bracket that supply oil to tranny so you have better access...
there are 3 more torx bolts holding bracket and after you take that off there is one 15/16 or 17mm bolt holding it but its all the way behind the motor mount bracket....
you have to have a jack and raise lower the engine and go from side of the car(driver side wheel off) with extension and flexible joint extension to release other 2 bolt far back...those 2 in the front one you got is either lower one and get the upper one from top....

here is a pic of how much space you get when you jack up the engine from bottom..
Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 PM

hey,
i accidently broke the 2 black bracket that holding the 2 metal pipe that supplies oil to tranny. please check the link below to see a picture, does anyone know what the bracket is call? where can i buy this? thanks http://www.flickr.com/photos/2810754...5467/lightbox/
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Wow. I have been lurking for a minute and this thread has developed quite a bit. A lot of good info for a vast majority of the owners. A message to you’all; If you haven’t tackled the project yet, chances are you are not aware that the leak exists or you are just in denial and prefer not to find out.

I miss my 760, but when I have to revisit the fest and continue seeing all the issues within the E65/ E66 driveline, I feel extremely relieved not to own one any longer. Good luck guys.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li, '04 Escalade
Did anyone lower the subframe to do this job?