Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: Tahoe
advice on x5 35d needed

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and am considering purchasing a 2012 x5 35d. However, after reading through some posts I have become a little concerned with the reliability. After reading some people saying after driving off the lot and having check engine lights, constant visits to the dealer, major ecu issues and so on. I understand the dealer customer service network to be very good especially with loaners and pick-up and drop-off. However, considering these are 60k plus vehicles I find it hard to think that these sorts of issues are alright. A vehicle of this price should have very little if any problems.

So I am wondering if anyone can give any feed back on whether these issues have been resolved for this model year as it is very close to the end of the design cycle. And if perhaps the mercedes ml blue tec is a good alternative?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
I have over 66k miles on my 2011 X5d no problems at all.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
10 C300 4Matic ED Delivery
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
95 Suburban 2500 Heavy Duty Mule
67 Mini Cooper S Just Makes You Grin
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamerbenz View Post
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and am considering purchasing a 2012 x5 35d. However, after reading through some posts I have become a little concerned with the reliability. After reading some people saying after driving off the lot and having check engine lights, constant visits to the dealer, major ecu issues and so on. I understand the dealer customer service network to be very good especially with loaners and pick-up and drop-off. However, considering these are 60k plus vehicles I find it hard to think that these sorts of issues are alright. A vehicle of this price should have very little if any problems.

So I am wondering if anyone can give any feed back on whether these issues have been resolved for this model year as it is very close to the end of the design cycle. And if perhaps the mercedes ml blue tec is a good alternative?

Thanks
Where EXACTLY are you reading that people are having ANY problems like that? bluetec is "OK" but Merc is having build issues and can't even get the leathers they need to build them with leather seats so people are having to buy them with some type of synthetic seating surfaces. Sorry, but if your going to spend $60K on one of these, the LEAST they can do is ensure that you have leather seating surfaces, right?

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Sigh...

An IMPOSSIBLE question of course...what do you expect us to say that will erase your impressions?!?!?

I can tell you about mine, but there are a handful of reports about otehrs with bad luck.

I had a 2010 D ...emissionms errors, problems with air temp sensors, Nox sensors, software. Lemoned it at 32k miles. Bought a 2012, that has been flawless. Not a single glitch.

As they say, YMMV.

A
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: Tahoe
While i do realize it is a difficult question, I am simply looking for some insight positive or negative. And do not necessarily find it impossible to respond to. As you said you owned one that ultimately was a lemon, but have had no issues with your 2012.

I have test drove them twice so fair and found them to be a solid all around vehicle that simply was better all around then the other vehicles that I have cross compared and found it a little shocking when i started to read quite a few reports of people saying how they are, or perhaps were, riddled with issues. While i do understand it is typically the disgruntled that post.

Thank you for your response.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Check engine light? That sounds like my BMW X5. It is still in the shop because the part was one day further away.

I am not worry about the reliability. That is because I am not afraid to get it fixed. This is my plan. I am going to allocate a budget for repair every year. At near the end of warranty, I will decide if I should gamble based on the reliability data within warranty period or buy an extended warranty. Then I am going to save a few k per year until 10 years. If the money is not used, I use that money on the next car.

Its all about planning.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Oh, all that I saving I got from Eco Credit and Jon? I put that into my repair budget. It is reserved for a raining day or when I get a new one.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
2012 X5d here, no issues.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
According to BMW forums, CEL's are not a part of a vehicles reliability if they're under warranty.

The ML is also a good SUV that targets a very different driver than the X5. We had the last gen and it was quieter, got better mileage and had a more comfortable ride. The X5 is sportier, faster and handles better. Reliability of both was average.

Choose what your priorities are and see what vehicle meets the most criteria. There is no perfect vehicle, so buy what makes you happy.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
One car I would not want to own with out a warranty.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Even with mass production, with robots precisely assembling out autos there will always be a few that are defective and problematic. With that said BMW cars are quality cars but based on past history the reliability is not their strong suite. If you are concerned with reliability then I woul suggest considering a Acura MDX or Lexus versions of the SUV as based on history the Japanese tend make more reliable cars. However, even with the Japanese brand you can always be unlucky and get stuck with a defective one.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka858 View Post
One car I would not want to own with out a warranty.
I've never owned a BMW out of warranty either. All my previous BMW cars were leases. However I plan to keep the current one and feel confident to own this one out of warranty.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
The majority of folks that start new threads on forums are those that are looking from answers to their problems... they are the minority in real life and the majority of internet forums. Now of course if you asked about a ford diesel my answer would be different.

The older BMW d's '09-'11 have had emissions recalls but it appears the '12s are using the new hardware/software and should be more reliable through the life cycle. BMW makes a hell of a lot of diesel engines for Europe, and while the emissions regulations here forced some changes and I believe we were their learning curve for the first couple years it is in thier best interest to have the kinks worked out by the time the new Euro emissions come into effect.

If you loved the vehicle before, take a chance and if you are at the dealer more then most, dump it before the warranty expires.

Jay
Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
OP, I am one of the people who had issues with their 2012 X5d right after taking delivery of it (just a couple of hours in my case). Mine stayed at the dealer for 12 days before I got it back... And yes, there are a few other examples on this and other forums of people having issues with their 2012 X5d. However, you have to remember that most people naturally post about issues and problems and not about uneventful car stories. For every X5d (2012 or other model year) with issues, there are dozens out there with none whatsoever. I am not aware of any issues that have been found to affect ALL 2012 X5ds to warrant not recommending this car (if someone knows differently, please correct me). So, despite being one of the unlucky guys who got a defective car, it is now fixed and working flawlessly and I will get another X5d (my third) when the lease on this one expires. And yes I would advise you to ignore the rare cases with issues (including mine) and get yourself a 2012 X5d if you like the car otherwise. It is not perfect (no car is) but an awesome SAV nonetheless!

Last edited by Marwan; 11-08-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
unfortunatelly, I am the unlucky one, car has 306 miles on it and tonight itdied, tomorrow morning BMW dealer is coming to pick it up with flatbed truck. This is 2012 X5d, took delivery 2 weeks ago. My third BMW X5. I am really interested what they going to find out tomorrow morning.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
According to BMW forums, CEL's are not a part of a vehicles reliability if they're under warranty.

The ML is also a good SUV that targets a very different driver than the X5. We had the last gen and it was quieter, got better mileage and had a more comfortable ride. The X5 is sportier, faster and handles better. Reliability of both was average.

Choose what your priorities are and see what vehicle meets the most criteria. There is no perfect vehicle, so buy what makes you happy.
I echo that experience. My wife really liked her ML 350 but she LOVES the X5d. It is an entirely different experience that we are really enjoying, with no problems to date. Our diesel gets better mileage than our gas ML.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I would expect the diesel to get better mileage than your gasser. The ML,GL, R, VW & Cayenne (the same diesel drive train) and the Audi Q7 oilers are really all that is out there with the BMW in the "big" SUV/SAV category now. That will change next MY when the new Jeep Grand Cherokee comes on line with their 240 hp VM Motori diesel (engine mfgr owned jointly by Fiat and GM), followed by a half ton Ram Pick up (long overdue!) and the three row Dodge Durango in MY14. There will be choices for the diesel lovers among us.

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-09-2012 at 08:47 AM.