Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
First ED, thoughts on routes

I'll be going the first part of May with my father (early 60's but still doing well for his age) and my sister (photography buff).

My father lived in south west Germany for 2 years about 30 years ago and has been back for work a little so we should be fine for the language part. What we're trying to figure out is how realistic are our routes are and any suggestions. Using my fathers knowledge of anything outside of Munich though is very dated.

There are 4 main things to do.
Pickup the car
See some friends in Erlangen
Visit Nurburgring
See Miniature Wonderland (In Hamburg)

We thought while we were there we might try to throw in visits to:
Neuschwanstein Castle
Salzburg Austria (My father loves the sound of music)
Mierder Alpine Coaster
Ulmer Münster Church
Porche museum
Take a scenic train ride

I also added going through Zurich and Liechtenstein since we'd be so close and probably never go back though those would be the first things dropped if there isn't really anything scenic to see.

Our goal is to just drive and see castles, gardens, and other more natural scenic types of Beauty, we're hoping the beginning of May things will be in spring bloom???

Here is the map of routes (Note that many points are actually just guides for paths.

http://tinyurl.com/cx57xun

Our original idea is arrive in Munich around 10am, spend the day walking around (Marienplatz and so on). Friday pickup the car and do the tour. Saturday drive to places around Munich that are outside of walking distance. Sunday start driving. By friday end up at Nurburgring.

After Nurburgring we're at a tough choice. It's a long drive up to Hamburg just for Miniature Wonderland (May be models but it's important to go). I'm not sure if it's better to leave the car with friends Erlangen and take a 6hr train ride up on Sunday, see Miniature Wonderland, then take a train back on Monday and fly home Tuesday or if there are some other ideas that we should be considering. Is there anything worth seeing in Hamburg while we're up there or is our schedule too much already? Basically it's 12 full days in Germany.

Thanks.

EDIT: For flights, we'd fly into Munich obviously but flights back to the States via Luftansa leave from Frankfurt or Munich. If we dropped the car off at the port in Hamburg it's less than $100 for the extra leg to fly out from there (hour layover in Frankfurt or Munich) rather than driving back to Munich or Frankfurt IF we were to drive up to hamburg. If we took the train up to Hamburg/Miniature Wonderland instead of driving up, we'd leave the car at the Frankfurt delivery, though I'm not sure if we would fly out of Hamburg or take the train back to Frankfurt or Munich to fly out of Tuesday morning. I imagine the train would be less expensive than the flight leg and more scenic (at the cost of maybe 4 extra hours of time, but would the scenery be worth it?)

Last edited by edx1; 11-09-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Ads by Google