Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Carla650ixdrive Carla650ixdrive is offline
Registered User
Location: Switzerland
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 650ixdrive
Help! Moonstone or Frozen Silver

I've ordered my 650i xdrive coupé in Moonstone after a week of umming and ahhing. Big change for me as I always had dark exteriors. Anyway, I saw one and liked it. But now.... just before they start production, I have discovered Frozen Silver. Which i think I like more...! General consensus seems to be that it isn't that much more delicate contrary to popular opinion. None of the promo pics I have seen seem to give either colour justice...

HELP !!! Should change to Frozen Silver? (which is a shedload more money..?).

Being female - the colour is obviously the most important thing.
However, I'm pretty confident I have ordered every other option worth having.

Any advice or good pics of 'real' cars in Frozen Silver welcome.
Carla
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM
greco2000's Avatar
greco2000 greco2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 566
Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
Both are cool colours, but the moonstone looks pretty normal looking silver to me. The frozen silver looks awesome! Almost a metallic look to it. That would be my choice!
__________________


2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
greco2000's Avatar
greco2000 greco2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 566
Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
Look how sick this looks!




http://img.nacode.com/aHR0cDovL2ltYW...ItdmkuanBn.jpg
__________________


2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 PM
djsaad1 djsaad1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: austin
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 670
Mein Auto: range rover
Have you seen frozen grey? I am more of a fan of the darker frozen colors (with the exception of black). I think the lines show up better.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/04/28/20...l-frozen-grey/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 PM
reytran's Avatar
reytran reytran is offline
Nothing quite like a 6
Location: Santa Monica
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 521
Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
But I think lady like the brighter one, so frozen silver is a vote from my gf. I'm down for the frozen grey. Definitely get one when my 6 die. I bought my gf an alpine white 535, and now I customized it matte white. She loves it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Carla650ixdrive Carla650ixdrive is offline
Registered User
Location: Switzerland
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 650ixdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by greco2000 View Post
Both are cool colours, but the moonstone looks pretty normal looking silver to me. The frozen silver looks awesome! Almost a metallic look to it. That would be my choice!
Yes thats my fear - that moonstone although lovely, does just sort of look like a nice silver. I'm now waiting for the very nice lady in Munich to tell me if its possible or not. They have some totally wierd rules about what can or can't go with this and that package. VERY frustrating - especially as for me the M package is a no brainer, but then you can't have certain colours or some of the nicer special interiors. Doesn't make sense.

Am swaying towards Frozen despite being a tonover budget already....
Thanks! and double thanks for the 'real' pic. It does look cool.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Carla650ixdrive Carla650ixdrive is offline
Registered User
Location: Switzerland
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 650ixdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Have you seen frozen grey? I am more of a fan of the darker frozen colors (with the exception of black). I think the lines show up better.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/04/28/20...l-frozen-grey/
I was recently at a yacht show where BMW had plonked dozens of frozen colours all over the show, they al look fab. But I wonder if in a few years I'll be thinking - hmmmm those frozen colours that we all loved in 2012 and now just look a bit like an avocado bathroom suite did when it was no longer the 70's....?

The brown particularly I think will be tough to resell. Part of me thinks oh how nice and different and classy and part of me thinks - oh dull dog poo colour.

The frozen grey is lovely (although you're supposed to be helping me choose not adding more options!!!), but the whole grey thing is SO over done over here (i live in switz) - so although its a ton nicer than your average grey - its still...... grey.

The guy at the garage just wanted me to have white on white. But he wears super shiny suits and has extra pointy ostrich skin shoes. Therefore his advice cannot be trusted!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Carla650ixdrive Carla650ixdrive is offline
Registered User
Location: Switzerland
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 650ixdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
But I think lady like the brighter one, so frozen silver is a vote from my gf. I'm down for the frozen grey. Definitely get one when my 6 die. I bought my gf an alpine white 535, and now I customized it matte white. She loves it.
Dear Reytran.....
the lady like..... hmmmm. Now, lets get this straight. I am not a man buying a car to impress the ladies. I am not a wife choosing the colour of the car her nice rich hubby buys her to show off to her friends at the country club.
I am a woman who loves nice cars. I don't care what my boyfriend would think (if I had one). I also wouldn't care what colour his car was, because lets face it - its HIS car. And I am not some accessory designed for the passenger seat to go 'oooh baby - i'm so glad you chose this colour - it matches my prada handbag'.
I am also not a bra burning feminist - but your comment was a touch insulting. If I'm on this forum, its because I want to know what BMW lovers think not what their gf's think - which, by the way, is pobably 'cool, he must have loads of cash'.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Soldes Soldes is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 2013 640i Coupe
Mss Carla: In my humble opinion, this Frozen colors my become a passing fad, and a few years down the line; may loose some of its luster and shine with the normal wear and tear. In addition, there is a whole lot of expense involved with ordering this particular frozen line; and some of the mandatory options that come with it, perhaps you had not deem them necesary in you original order.
Having said that, there is no denying that the car is stunning; and if added expense is no object, and the color choice is keeping you up at night, then go for it!.
I just ordered a 640i, that just entered production; and did not get a good night sleep, until everything in the car was exactly as I wanted it.
Hope this helps with your decision.

Last edited by Soldes; 11-10-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 AM
vavet5308 vavet5308 is offline
NADAVAN
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 511
Mein Auto: 2002 525it
I think the moonstone is more than a plain silver. I think it's a great color, and I typically avoid the neutral silver/gray/black/white/beige.

I don't get the fascination with the frozen colors - I think the matte colors look great on the rat rods, but it seems that trend has made it to mainstream, which I don't really care about. Call me old fashioned, but I think a car with glossy paint will always be more attractive than a matte finish. Any time I wash my car (or get it washed), I think WOW, that looks terrific. I shouldn't wait that long to wash it again. I don't think I'd get that same feeling with a frozen color.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,301
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla650ixdrive View Post
Dear Reytran.....
the lady like..... hmmmm. Now, lets get this straight. I am not a man buying a car to impress the ladies. I am not a wife choosing the colour of the car her nice rich hubby buys her to show off to her friends at the country club.
I am a woman who loves nice cars. I don't care what my boyfriend would think (if I had one). I also wouldn't care what colour his car was, because lets face it - its HIS car. And I am not some accessory designed for the passenger seat to go 'oooh baby - i'm so glad you chose this colour - it matches my prada handbag'.
I am also not a bra burning feminist - but your comment was a touch insulting. If I'm on this forum, its because I want to know what BMW lovers think not what their gf's think - which, by the way, is pobably 'cool, he must have loads of cash'.
Carla650iXdrive,
I wouldn't get too wrapped up about his comments. As you can see from his other posts he does not make personal comments, and thats not the tone of this forum. I have actually spoken with Rey on the phone and he is a nice guy. Often what is polite in other countries can come across differently here. I'm pretty sure he was just trying to be polite and not condescending.

As for the color choice, I think you have a serious point to consider about the Frozen colors. Just like a highly customized house can hurt a resale situation, this can happen here. It may not directly lower the price but it will seriously reduce the number of interested buyers to those that have the same taste as you, and that can make it harder to sell. That's not good or bad just a fact that the more custom a car is, the more specific buyer you need to find when selling. If resale is not a concern, that go wild, but if you are the kind of buyer that gets new cars often and are buying not leasing then you might want to consider staying a bit more mainstream.

Either way, good luck with the ride. I'm sure you'll love it what ever color choice you end up with.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 11-10-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Carla650ixdrive Carla650ixdrive is offline
Registered User
Location: Switzerland
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 650ixdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldes View Post
Mss Carla: In my humble opinion, this Frozen colors my become a passing fad, and a few years down the line; may loose some of its luster and shine with the normal wear and tear. In addition, there is a whole lot of expense involved with ordering this particular frozen line; and some of the mandatory options that come with it, perhaps you had not deem them necesary in you original order.
Having said that, there is no denying that the car is stunning; and if added expense is no object, and the color choice is keeping you up at night, then go for it!.
I just ordered a 640i, that just entered production; and did not get a good night sleep, until everything in the car was exactly as I wanted it.
Hope this helps with your decision.
I think you're right - it may well be a fad. I don't think the options are an issue in my case as I am ordering direct from BMW Munich and they already said I could have it, they just had to check with the M team. I wish I could see/feel/touch one. I do feel, maybe wrongly, that the Frozen Silver isn't quite as frozen as the other colours.... (does that make sense?) and therefore may not look quite as 'different'?
Thanks - I'm getting more moonstone than frozen votes to my surprise.....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Carla650ixdrive Carla650ixdrive is offline
Registered User
Location: Switzerland
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 650ixdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
Carla650iXdrive,
I wouldn't get too wrapped up about his comments. As you can see from his other posts he does not make personal comments, and thats not the tone of this forum. I have actually spoken with Rey on the phone and he is a nice guy. Often what is polite in other countries can come across differently here. I'm pretty sure he was just trying to be polite and not condescending.

As for the color choice, I think you have a serious point to consider about the Frozen colors. Just like a highly customized house can hurt a resale situation, this can happen here. It may not directly lower the price but it will seriously reduce the number of interested buyers to those that have the same taste as you, and that can make it harder to sell. That's not good or bad just a fact that the more custom a car is, the more specific buyer you need to find when selling. If resale is not a concern, that go wild, but if you are the kind of buyer that gets new cars often and are buying not leasing then you might want to consider staying a bit more mainstream.

Either way, good luck with the ride. I'm sure you'll love it what ever color choice you end up with.
I didn't want to be rude, if I was, I apologise unreservedly. It was supposed to be a mixture of sarcasm and wit (I am british - can't help myself). I guess I will stick with moonstone. Sigh.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Carla650ixdrive Carla650ixdrive is offline
Registered User
Location: Switzerland
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 650ixdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavet5308 View Post
I think the moonstone is more than a plain silver. I think it's a great color, and I typically avoid the neutral silver/gray/black/white/beige.

I don't get the fascination with the frozen colors - I think the matte colors look great on the rat rods, but it seems that trend has made it to mainstream, which I don't really care about. Call me old fashioned, but I think a car with glossy paint will always be more attractive than a matte finish. Any time I wash my car (or get it washed), I think WOW, that looks terrific. I shouldn't wait that long to wash it again. I don't think I'd get that same feeling with a frozen color.
I agree that matt can look wierd. I spend a lot of time in Monaco where every fad gets plenty of outings and the matt cars just look odd. THe frozen does seem to be more of a happy medium though, but, like i said, i have yet to see it in reality. I should probably stay safe.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM
tampamark tampamark is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: tampa fl
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,755
Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
The frozen silver looks awesome, I would gladly have a car that has that paint scheme. Perhaps it is a fad but it is not going anywhere soon. If you are keeping the car for 15 years then you will see the fad fade, but if you are going to keep it for 3 to 5 years then no worries.

As far as resale that is a good point that it may cut down your pool of buyers, however if you are purchasing the car you will lose much more from depreciation than from the color selection. If you are leasing then again, who cares, you just turn it in and let BMW Finance worry about selling the car.

Good luck, you are buying a beautiful car, I wish I could come over to the U.K. and be your man-accessory, I am sure I could find a Prada wallet that matches the color!

I am sure my wife would veto my trip though...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Carla650ixdrive Carla650ixdrive is offline
Registered User
Location: Switzerland
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 650ixdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
The frozen silver looks awesome, I would gladly have a car that has that paint scheme. Perhaps it is a fad but it is not going anywhere soon. If you are keeping the car for 15 years then you will see the fad fade, but if you are going to keep it for 3 to 5 years then no worries.

As far as resale that is a good point that it may cut down your pool of buyers, however if you are purchasing the car you will lose much more from depreciation than from the color selection. If you are leasing then again, who cares, you just turn it in and let BMW Finance worry about selling the car.

Good luck, you are buying a beautiful car, I wish I could come over to the U.K. and be your man-accessory, I am sure I could find a Prada wallet that matches the color!

I am sure my wife would veto my trip though...
Oh no confused again. Its not leasing so I can't just hand it back. generally I only keep cars 2-3 years, I always hope that I'll want them for longer but then something cuter comes along and off I go flirting with another salesman to get a decent discount....
I live in Switzerland/Monaco so it won't be seeing the UK where I wouldn't get a funky colour as some jealous twat would scratch it instantly.
I always tell my friends to stop worrying about resale and enjoy the car they want, so maybe I should practise what I preach?
Thanks again to everyone, its been fun joining your little community...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms