Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 530i, 1977 320i
the fog lights

It seems to me that the fog lights often go neglected on this car at around this age.

I suffered this problem for about two years before I took matters into my own hands.

You might as well stop reading if you are going to be offended when I used non-Hella fog lights from Taiwan but that's what I did, because I got them on ebay for $40, including shipping.

The Hella fog lights go from $400 - 500 so I figured, what do I have to lose, I'm not going to pay like a quarter of the vehicle's value on fog lights but it would be cool if they worked because: 1) they look cool; 2) they are functional, especially if you live in a place with fog); 3) they are pimp. but they have to work and not be broken. And the problem I think is that they are low to the ground and it's easy for the lens to get blown out by a rock or even if you hit a big dip although I could argue that you should have seen that dip coming. But the rock chips, that's gonna happen.

So I got my new fog lights from Taiwan. Propped up my car on a little ramp. Fortunately, one fog light was still in place, the assembly was still there, even though most of the lens had been blown out, and the connector from the car was still connected to the connector on the original Hella light. see pictures

And then basically, I swapped them out. To make a long story short, I got the fog light in there fine and marveled out how well it fit in there. Then, my elated feeling was disrupted when I noticed that the connectors on the Taiwan fog lights were not compatible with my car's connectors. So I cut the connectors and performed a Navy splice on the ground and live wires and bam, they work really well. They look good and they work well. I took a picture of them working but I realized it had my license plate and need to fix that but otherwise I'm putting some pictures up that show basically what's going on. I've explained pretty much what went on and it is basically as easy as changing a light bulb except for a couple bolts you need to get off you need a u-joint socket wrench and some wire strippers for this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	348569   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	348570   Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	348571   Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	348572  

Last edited by manuelwindows; 11-06-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 530i
Nice work, it is crazy how much lighting costs for our cars. I always look for fogs/headlights when I go junking, but they are usually destroyed from front end impact.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
I have seen them go used, in nice shape for $60/set. That is my intention eventually I just don't think I would use them much, my smileys do an excellent job of lighting. Mine are ugly though, cracked lenses the PO put protective tape over and all.

Good work if they fit and function
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
I wasnt turned off by using taiwanese products. the part at which i stopped reading was the use of the word "pimp". lol.

But that aside i see alot of people going for these things. I got the euro clear taillights for $65 made by Depo -> got flamed on bf.c because they werent hella. I agree with snowsled though, you can find decent sets for a bit more than you paid, that are OEM. Another option could be restoring or replacing the lenses. My foglights never suffered much age or wear due to garage kept and original owner, but to clean it up a bit, and help protect them further, I got yellow Lamin-X urethane shields. Affordable and look fantastic. Fitment is great too, and they are flexible, formable.

Lamin-X E34 Fog Light Covers

Would you also mind posting a picture of them installed?

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34

Last edited by Monsignor; 11-06-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Would you also mind posting a picture of them installed?[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	348603  
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Thanks to the people who pointed out that I could have paid more and maybe gotten OEM if I had paid more. That's really helpful to know.

I had no idea that I could have paid more and gotten OEM. What a macaroon I am.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelwindows View Post
Thanks to the people who pointed out that I could have paid more and maybe gotten OEM if I had paid more. That's really helpful to know.

I had no idea that I could have paid more and gotten OEM. What a macaroon I am.
Haha, a macaroon.

But 40 dollars is quite expensive for the made in Taiwan stuff, to me.
To each his own.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperplane94 View Post
Haha, a macaroon.

But 40 dollars is quite expensive for the made in Taiwan stuff, to me.
To each his own.

Could you please post a link to where I could find fog lights for this vehicle, with the bulbs, for less than $40, with shipping? You said that it sounded expensive so I assume you have some kind of link to back up your assumption that I could have gotten them for less money? Or you were just typing crap for the sake of it.

Now, after having driven around today, one of my favorite things about having working fog lights from Taiwan that cost $40, with shipping is the following:

The digital display on the instrument cluster where it permanently used to display "F / Fog Light." That went away. Now, there are no warnings and instead what is displayed there is the name and call number of the radio station, when I change the radio station on the stock radio. I thought that was pretty cool.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECIEVE!

E34 Garage Sale!

Quote:
e34 proj fogs x2 Driver, 1x passenger (for parts w/o bulbs) $35 for all 3 (Can prolly be recovered w/ some polishing)
In the first post closer to the bottom.

Now please stop being so abrasive. I find it very rude.

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Old 11-08-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
ASK AND YOU SHALL RECIEVE!

E34 Garage Sale!

In the first post closer to the bottom.

Now please stop being so abrasive. I find it very rude.
I do apologize for being abrasive. It was rude and I shouldn't have taken a rude tone in the forum here.

I guess I could have dug around some more for some decent, used Hellas but I did do some searching and didn't come up with anything.

I appreciate your research. My research was indicating that unlike tail lights for these e34's, the used Hella fog lights are very difficult to find in usable condition because of the age these cars are reaching the the near impossibility of them not getting cracked in the last 20 years.

What I was looking for was a cheap replacement for these lights, that I suspect, within the next year or so, will get blown out again by a rock chip on the roads I drive on.

Here's a pic with them lit up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	348814  
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Josh

Mein Auto: 95 540i m sport
I have them too. They really aren't bad. I think that some people think that you really have to use oem parts on these old cars.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
I purchased almost the same fog lights for my old sedan and was unhappy with them. I just did not like the look as compared to the OEM. So on my next sedan I ordered replacement lenses for around 45 bucks (two) and they look OEM new. I do agree on the price of the Hella replacements. Outrageous LOL...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fogs.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	348847  

Last edited by CarDriver; 11-09-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:14 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelwindows View Post
I do apologize for being abrasive. It was rude and I shouldn't have taken a rude tone in the forum here.

I guess I could have dug around some more for some decent, used Hellas but I did do some searching and didn't come up with anything.

I appreciate your research. My research was indicating that unlike tail lights for these e34's, the used Hella fog lights are very difficult to find in usable condition because of the age these cars are reaching the the near impossibility of them not getting cracked in the last 20 years.

What I was looking for was a cheap replacement for these lights, that I suspect, within the next year or so, will get blown out again by a rock chip on the roads I drive on.

Here's a pic with them lit up.
I appreciate that. And they do look good. I'm lucky enough to have good condition funtioning originals. I would probably bite a pretty big bullet and go for hellas if something happened to mine.

I still reccomend the Lamin-X protective urethane shields. They make clear if you dont want color, or tinted to be a bit more slick....

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Old 11-09-2012, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Plus One on the Lamin-x !!!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
I wasnt turned off by using taiwanese products. the part at which i stopped reading was the use of the word "pimp". lol.

But that aside i see alot of people going for these things. I got the euro clear taillights for $65 made by Depo -> got flamed on bf.c because they werent hella. I agree with snowsled though, you can find decent sets for a bit more than you paid, that are OEM. Another option could be restoring or replacing the lenses. My foglights never suffered much age or wear due to garage kept and original owner, but to clean it up a bit, and help protect them further, I got yellow Lamin-X urethane shields. Affordable and look fantastic. Fitment is great too, and they are flexible, formable.

Lamin-X E34 Fog Light Covers

Would you also mind posting a picture of them installed?
Well the only possible problem with the taiwan ones are that their water seals can be suspect. Bought them many moons ago and had this problem, swopped them out for a good used pair shortly thereafter. So if those look ok, that's fine.

Good lead on the LaminX Padre ! On the christmas list now..

rgds,
Roberto