Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:18 PM
e34_spangler's Avatar
e34_spangler e34_spangler is online now
e34 User
Location: ephrata,pa
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: bmw e34
Auto Trans question

I got a 1992 525i and was wondering how the shifting works when I put it in 123 it says s1, s2, s3. Is that sport mode? And I can put it in m1, m2, m3 with the selector on the side. Which option s or m do I want if im shifting?
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
__________________
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Costa's Avatar
Costa Costa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 887
Mein Auto: Supercharged E34 540i6
S1 is essentially M1 because it cannot shift out of that gear. S2 and S3 is sport mode for the first 2 or 3 gears. All sport mode does is hold onto the gear more and shifts up at higher revs. M1,2, and 3 are manually selected gears. Meaning, you can change them whenever you want to.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 PM
e34_spangler's Avatar
e34_spangler e34_spangler is online now
e34 User
Location: ephrata,pa
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: bmw e34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
S1 is essentially M1 because it cannot shift out of that gear. S2 and S3 is sport mode for the first 2 or 3 gears. All sport mode does is hold onto the gear more and shifts up at higher revs. M1,2, and 3 are manually selected gears. Meaning, you can change them whenever you want to.
So if I just wanna shift around and jerk is s mode is good?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Costa's Avatar
Costa Costa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 887
Mein Auto: Supercharged E34 540i6
Well going into manual mode would be more fun. You can select all the gears unlike the 5 speed automatics found in 530/540
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 PM
e34_spangler's Avatar
e34_spangler e34_spangler is online now
e34 User
Location: ephrata,pa
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: bmw e34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
Well going into manual mode would be more fun. You can select all the gears unlike the 5 speed automatics found in 530/540
I can only choose 123 In m just like s but in s I can put it in d when I get up in speeds then

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Costa's Avatar
Costa Costa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 887
Mein Auto: Supercharged E34 540i6
Btw D means 4th. Your gearbox consists of 4 gears.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 PM
e34_spangler's Avatar
e34_spangler e34_spangler is online now
e34 User
Location: ephrata,pa
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: bmw e34
Yeah but it mine it doesnt shift to 4th in d idk why it stays in third and never shifts like it shows on the dash 4th but doesnt shift my dads 328i shifts to 4th but mine wont

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by e34_spangler View Post
Yeah but it mine it doesnt shift to 4th in d idk why it stays in third and never shifts like it shows on the dash 4th but doesnt shift my dads 328i shifts to 4th but mine wont

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Delete all of your error codes via the stomp test or by unplugging your ecu for a few minutes, and then try again.

Make sure that your throttle position sensor is working fine. Its a little sensor connection right next to the throttle body's O opening. Unplug it, clean it and the sensor with contact cleaner, dap dielectric grease on both and plug that back. That can sometimes cause issues with shifting.

Please download the bentley manual and go through the tranny troubleshooting summary there as well for suspects, google for the links.


rgds,
Roberto
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 PM
e34_spangler's Avatar
e34_spangler e34_spangler is online now
e34 User
Location: ephrata,pa
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: bmw e34
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
Delete all of your error codes via the stomp test or by unplugging your ecu for a few minutes, and then try again.

Make sure that your throttle position sensor is working fine. Its a little sensor connection right next to the throttle body's O opening. Unplug it, clean it and the sensor with contact cleaner, dap dielectric grease on both and plug that back. That can sometimes cause issues with shifting.

Please download the bentley manual and go through the tranny troubleshooting summary there as well for suspects, google for the links.


rgds,
Roberto
Ight thanks ill check it out!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms