Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Tire Pressure and other Issues

Guys I bought X5 2013 this year in June.
I have a questions about

Tire pressure
Since its starting to get cold in Louisiana i have noticed few morning i have low tire pressure alert. But after i go through the reset ritual it goes away. Sometime quicker then other times.
Very frustrating. Is this normal?

Also, I would have thought i would get better mileage. My average speed is 22/m/h and my consumption is 15m/g. I am using regular gas to save a buck. Would putting premium make it more efficient? Any ideas?

Lastly but not least,
is it just me or the "bing"noises drive people nuts. For all the alerts from low gas to seat belts to start/stopping the car. Not to mention when you switch off the car the radio still runs!!! why.....

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
you mentioned reseting the tire pressure system, but did not mention actual tire PRESSURE values...are the tires losing pressure or not?

Any particular engine you got there?????

Running economy isn't. The savings in cost is virtually offset by the reduced mileage. You do mostly city driving, so that sounds nomral for a V8...wonder what you have.....
Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWconsumer View Post
Guys I bought X5 2013 this year in June.
I have a questions about

Tire pressure
Since its starting to get cold in Louisiana i have noticed few morning i have low tire pressure alert. But after i go through the reset ritual it goes away. Sometime quicker then other times.
Very frustrating. Is this normal?

Also, I would have thought i would get better mileage. My average speed is 22/m/h and my consumption is 15m/g. I am using regular gas to save a buck. Would putting premium make it more efficient? Any ideas?

Lastly but not least,
is it just me or the "bing"noises drive people nuts. For all the alerts from low gas to seat belts to start/stopping the car. Not to mention when you switch off the car the radio still runs!!! why.....

Thanks!
You MUST be from the Monroe area (think duck Dynasty...LOL) otherwise you would know all this stuff below...
1) Low tire pressure will cause you to loose a mile to 3 miles per gallon so fill up the tires and get it right to save the most fuel.
2) Your average speed is VERY low which indicates a large volume of "STOP & GO" driving which is NEVER good for fuel economy (especially in gasoline-based vehicles. Diesels are better @ that but still hurts consumption levels).
3) NEVER use regular fuel in a car DESIGNED to use premium. It is true that regular will work (apparently) fine but what you are not seeing is that... in order for your car to burn regular without pinging, the car has automatically added more fuel (to compensate) and you aren't saving yourself ANY money by running regular. Here is an informative online article about why you WANT to pay for premium (even if it IS more expensive)...
http://engineguy.wordpress.com/2007/...gh-octane-gas/
4) To get the radio to "turn off" when you get out simply hold the START/STOP button a fraction of a minute longer (until the radio turns off)

PS - I went to college in Monroe so just giving you a hard time.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-03-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Check your tire pressures; I found that although I picked up by 2013 X5 3.5 at the "factory, the pressures were way off (you do know to check when cold) so I added air to the recommended pressures for front and back tires and did the reset. My higway mpg is 26-27 on premium, drops to 22 mpg if I have a bad day on the capital beltway. Radio will turn off once you open the door to get out of the vehicle.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Ac***** ******

Mein Auto: .
You can decrease the loudness of "bing" noise in the car's settings (go to "Settings" menu in iDrive, then "Tone", then "Volume settings" and turn the "Gong" option all the way down) ... And you can easily avoid seatbelt and low fuel "alarms" alltogether if you'll use your seatbelt properly all the time and learn to refuel the car at the appropriate time

As for fuel efficiency - other people already gave all necessary advices: check the tire pressure with an accurate tire gauge while the tires are "cold" since underinflated tires will decrease MPG, don't use regular gas (there's no real "savings" in it if the manufacturer designed the engine to use higher grade gasoline), try to choose routes with less "stop-and-go" traffic. And you shouldn't have purchased a V8 model (if this is what you have) if you're really concerned about fuel efficiency, there's a diesel model for this which works much better in slow, "stop-and-go" traffic conditions.

Last edited by Ripred; 11-04-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Thanks

Guys thanks for all the advice.

I did something stupid, every time the computer would tell me tire pressure low I would reset it and not physically check the tires thinking if after reset if it still gives me alarm then I would check the pressure physically.

All well, I put more air in tires and reset the computer.
BTW the X5 is 6 month old and average tire pressure was 25 PSI in all four tires. Must not have been checked at the factory.....

I have started putting Premium gas. Lets see what happens.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
You MUST be from the Monroe area (think duck Dynasty...LOL) otherwise you would know all this stuff below...
1) Low tire pressure will cause you to loose a mile to 3 miles per gallon so fill up the tires and get it right to save the most fuel.
2) Your average speed is VERY low which indicates a large volume of "STOP & GO" driving which is NEVER good for fuel economy (especially in gasoline-based vehicles. Diesels are better @ that but still hurts consumption levels).
3) NEVER use regular fuel in a car DESIGNED to use premium. It is true that regular will work (apparently) fine but what you are not seeing is that... in order for your car to burn regular without pinging, the car has automatically added more fuel (to compensate) and you aren't saving yourself ANY money by running regular. Here is an informative online article about why you WANT to pay for premium (even if it IS more expensive)...
http://engineguy.wordpress.com/2007/...gh-octane-gas/
4) To get the radio to "turn off" when you get out simply hold the START/STOP button a fraction of a minute longer (until the radio turns off)

PS - I went to college in Monroe so just giving you a hard time.

Does BMW carry an option for carrying your fishing and hunting gear?
Old 11-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Ac***** ******

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWconsumer View Post
Guys thanks for all the advice.

I did something stupid, every time the computer would tell me tire pressure low I would reset it and not physically check the tires thinking if after reset if it still gives me alarm then I would check the pressure physically.

All well, I put more air in tires and reset the computer.
BTW the X5 is 6 month old and average tire pressure was 25 PSI in all four tires. Must not have been checked at the factory.....

I have started putting Premium gas. Lets see what happens.

Thanks
You should never trust the factory/dealer/tire shop when it comes to tire pressure, always check it yourself