Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
F30 Winter Mats - Going To Do The Install Myself

After the recent hurricane, I'm feeling a bit more confident about my fix-it skills as I discovered a lot of new abilities like turning on a pilot light, using a lighter to light the stove, changing batteries in the LED flashlight, etc.

So I cancelled my winter mat install appointment with BMW service and am going to give it a go today. The mats are in a plastic bag with something that looks like a hangar attached to them. Going to get my tools together and prepare.

I'll report back on my progress. Any pointers appreciated.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
Hey man, glad to hear u made it thru. Been monitoring your situation. That sucks.

What do u mean install winter mats yourself? What am I missing here?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey
What do u mean install winter mats yourself? What am I missing here?
The sarcasm.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
The sarcasm.
Gotcha.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Thought of this instantly:

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: E90 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

BJ
it's several order of magnitude easier to install the mats with the doors open and while the car is stationary

make sure to take pics and then post a DIY thread.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 AM

Oh, very important additional tip: The hanger is provided to ensure the mats are properly handled during shipping. It is not to be installed in the car!

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Oh, very important additional tip: The hanger is provided to ensure the mats are properly handled during shipping. It is not to be installed in the car!
Good lord, thank you. It's been almost an hour and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the mats in the right orientation with the hangar attached. It almost felt like there were two mats on there or something.

I'm going to remove the hangar now, should go pretty quickly from here.

EDIT: There is another hangar on the rear mats; do I remove that hangar too?

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealio View Post
it's several order of magnitude easier to install the mats with the doors open and while the car is stationary

make sure to take pics and then post a DIY thread.
Please, I know the car needs to be stationary; I'm not stupid.

Good call on leaving the doors open; it was hard trying to put the rear mats in from the front seat, really hurting my back that way.

BJ

Old 11-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
After the recent hurricane, I'm feeling a bit more confident about my fix-it skills as I discovered a lot of new abilities like turning on a pilot light, using a lighter to light the stove, changing batteries in the LED flashlight, etc.

So I cancelled my winter mat install appointment with BMW service and am going to give it a go today. The mats are in a plastic bag with something that looks like a hangar attached to them. Going to get my tools together and prepare.

BJ
The only tools you need are your fingers not even a brain. Good luck
cheers
vern
PS glad you got your mind off of your dilemma.
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
The only tools you need are your fingers not even a brain. Good luck
cheers
vern
PS glad you got your mind off of your dilemma.
I got the hangars off, but now there's this strip of rubber atop each mat with a "scissors" logo on it.

It doesn't make sense to me that I'm supposed to cut the mats in half, is that really how you do it? Cut vertically down the middle of the mat? Do the Velcro pads hold the two halves together once they're installed or something? Doesn't make sense as it would allow water to get right through that center cut. My son would have one boot on the left side and one on the right. Are they adjustable width for each passenger and thus the instruction to cut them?

BJ

Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
EDIT: There is another hangar on the rear mats; do I remove that hangar too?
Hmm. I'm not sure. That may be an update for the F30; I don't recall that from my E90's winter mat set (though it's been a couple of years, I may have forgotten).

I would say it's probably scrap also, but it could be some kind of anchor to secure the rear mats in the car. Just in case, look at the underside of the front seats, above the rear footwells. If you don't see an obvious fixture to which the hanger would attach--it would be very obvious--then I'd say it's safe to remove & discard.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
BJ,

Make sure to use scissors with rounded edges, we don't want you to get hurt, while performing this tough assigment.
I asume you did ask your manservant to keep the door open for you correct? That might be the next skill you might want to learn: opening your own door (I know it's sounds like a lot of effort but you might find pride in it).

In any case, good to hear you are ok and in good spirit.

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Hmm. I'm not sure. That may be an update for the F30; I don't recall that from my E90's winter mat set (though it's been a couple of years, I may have forgotten).

I would say it's probably scrap also, but it could be some kind of anchor to secure the rear mats in the car. Just in case, look at the underside of the front seats, above the rear footwells. If you don't see an obvious fixture to which the hanger would attach--it would be very obvious--then I'd say it's safe to remove & discard.

Turns out there's a little 'flap' of rubber to attach the hangar to the mats and that's what the Germans want us to cut off. We do NOT need to cut the mats lengthwise. Perhaps we need a sticky.

Now, onto the rears. Wish me luck.

BJ

Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegandalf View Post
BJ,

Make sure to use scissors with rounded edges, we don't want you to get hurt, while performing this tough assigment.
I asume you did ask your manservant to keep the door open for you correct? That might be the next skill you might want to learn: opening your own door (I know it's sounds like a lot of effort but you might find pride in it).

In any case, good to hear you are ok and in good spirit.
Thank you. I'm using my wife's cuticle scissors as they are curved and have these pointer cover things on them.

We are in good spirits now that the power is back and we can get our dry cleaning done. I mean, a week without? Awful.

BJ

Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I'm using my wife's cuticle scissors as they are curved and have these pointer cover things on them.

We are in good spirits now that the power is back and we can get our dry cleaning done. I mean, a week without? Awful.

BJ
If you ask nicely, most dry cleaners will give you a complementary floor mat cleaning the next time you bring in your pants and shirts.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
If you ask nicely, most dry cleaners will give you a complementary floor mat cleaning the next time you bring in your pants and shirts.

Great news. The rear's are in. A little more tricky than the fronts (multiple test drives necessary to determine which was drivers-side and which was passenger-side) but my second major F30 mod is now complete.

BJ

Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 328i / EK Civic
Thank you for showing a pic of the rear mats.. I just ordered these and there are no pics of what the rears looked like!

2013 F30 328i Baseline - Tech/Lighting/Shades/MoonRoof/Heated Seats
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kidd View Post
Thank you for showing a pic of the rear mats.. I just ordered these and there are no pics of what the rears looked like!
Just payin' it forward after all the help and support I received today. Note that there are different mats for each line, the ones shown are for the Luxury. Not sure if they all have the same tread pattern, I know that the Sport line mats have red trim, for example.

Just woke up from a well-deserved nap; automotive work is hard on the body.

BJ

Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:

Great news. The rear's are in. A little more tricky than the fronts (multiple test drives necessary to determine which was drivers-side and which was passenger-side) but my second major F30 mod is now complete.

BJ
You might want to double check that you don't have them in the wrong side up. I don't see the little foot massage bumps in your picutre.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
took me 2 hours to get those hangars off...bloody germans and their hoity toity tech.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
Quote:

Turns out there's a little 'flap' of rubber to attach the hangar to the mats and that's what the Germans want us to cut off. We do NOT need to cut the mats lengthwise. Perhaps we need a sticky.

Now, onto the rears. Wish me luck.

BJ
thanks for the pic i just got those yesterday.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW X Series View Post
thanks for the pic i just got those yesterday.
Be careful. They're a little bit slippery, lost traction the first few times I got out of the car.

BJ

Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:

BJ
LMAO. BJ classic what can I say.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
i finally finished installing mines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	349186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	107.3 KB