Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: volvo V70 for now
Thinking of a 328i, maybe

Hello, looking for some (gentle) feedback about the 328 or perhaps 335. Right now my main car is-can I say the "A" word? -Oh yes, I can?-OK MY MAIN CAR IS AN A--I S4.It is pretty new and I enjoy it a lot . Am looking to add one other car and I have driven a version of the 328i and it seemed pretty good. However, it was not a 6 speed and even in retirement I will still go with a 6 speed as long as I can-we live in a nice fairly empty part of Washington state and I just plain like a stick.
Soooooo-how do the folks on this site like their 4 cylinder 328i (plural) who have the stick shift?What has the MPG been like, noise level, handling with std 17" wheels? I really do not anticipate a lot of extras except for heated seats although I would have liked the heated steering wheel and 18" wheels but oh well.Of course,like a lot of car makers, the base 335 seems like not a bad deal when you figure in wheels, etc that are standard. ( And has anybody reached the conclusion that a stripped 335 is better than a more loaded 328i?). Thanks in advance for any input.
Ads by Google
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Woodswatchco

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
I considered a base 335i to get the horsepower. However, I couldn't resist the M sport line package. Especially since it unlocked the estoril blue. In the end, I just couldn't afford the M sport line on a 335i. I ordered a 328i, manual, in estoril blue with red leather. I was very impressed with the 328i on a test drive. It felt light and nimble yet solid. The acceleration was insane even with the 8 speed automatic. Amazing transmission and it's no charge! It was the first time in my life I ever considered an automatic and I'm 40. I own an Audi A4 now and the new 328i is light years ahead of my 2003 A4 performance wise. I did drive a manual, Audi S5 before I decided on the 328i. I just couldn't afford a $50k base price car (S4). If you have an S4 now with 330hp supercharged engine, you'd definitely want to go with a 335i with the 300hp turbo. I assume you can afford it since you have the S4. I also feel that BMW leans more towards sport as far as the interior and Audi leans towards luxury. I was ready for a change. Maybe you are too?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
I love the 6mt 4cyl combo of my car. My mileage has been crazy, 39mpg is pretty doable, never a tank under 29mpg so far.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Make sure you drive it so it doesn't feel like an underwhelming boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Vroom Vroom

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Is there a "like" button, ya know like Facebook
Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Here we go...history repeating itself.

Que in the "step up to a 335" chest thumping bots.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Bimmer app
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM
BMW Platinum Visa« Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
Here we go...history repeating itself.

Que in the "step up to a 335" chest thumping bots.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Bimmer app
Go back to your forum. No room for E90 Android types over here.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic« | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package«
Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by walla2 View Post
Hello, looking for some (gentle) feedback about the 328 or perhaps 335. Right now my main car is-can I say the "A" word? -Oh yes, I can?-OK MY MAIN CAR IS AN A--I S4.It is pretty new and I enjoy it a lot . Am looking to add one other car and I have driven a version of the 328i and it seemed pretty good. However, it was not a 6 speed and even in retirement I will still go with a 6 speed as long as I can-we live in a nice fairly empty part of Washington state and I just plain like a stick.
Soooooo-how do the folks on this site like their 4 cylinder 328i (plural) who have the stick shift?What has the MPG been like, noise level, handling with std 17" wheels? I really do not anticipate a lot of extras except for heated seats although I would have liked the heated steering wheel and 18" wheels but oh well.Of course,like a lot of car makers, the base 335 seems like not a bad deal when you figure in wheels, etc that are standard. ( And has anybody reached the conclusion that a stripped 335 is better than a more loaded 328i?). Thanks in advance for any input.
A couple of the packages seem a bit expensive. The technology package offering is nice, but for $3000? And dealer invoice isn't much lower. I left it off my order because do I really need a HUD. Seriously, I can't be bothered to look at my speedo. And my iPhone has a better nav app.

It's a matter of preference and how you drive.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Go back to your forum. No room for E90 Android types over here.

BJ
/LIKE

Since you're in an S4, the 335 is the better option if you can swing it. I test drove a couple 328's, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the 335, it just didn't have the oomph. You may be different. Test drive them both, and see what grabs you. It's all about what you like. I test drove Audi's too (A4, S4, A6) and they just didn't have as much of a fun factor when it came to driving as the 335. Their Interior was real nice. (BMW sport seats are better though).

BMWCCA #471315
Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
LOL - I think that thread might finally be dead! Please DON"T resurrect it!
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
I am like you, a diehard manual transmission guy. I had a chance to test drive the 328i 6-MT and to be sure that car has plenty of power, the 6-MT felt good, nothing really negative to say about it. Then I test drove a 335i with the adaptive suspension and 6-MT. Sold me right there and then.

Whether you put another extra item or not for me at least is a non issue. The 335i is that good with the adaptive suspension and the 6-MT. One slight difference between the 335i and the 328i and I may be nitpicking here is that the N55 engine has almost no turbolag while the 328i in 6-MT format does have a very slight lag. The power is just increadible, set the adaptive suspension in sport or sport + and the entire car just comes alive. I would say since you have an S4 and can afford the 335i get that and make sure you get the adaptive suspension.

No other package needed if you want to go on the cheap. if money is not object then the heated seats are nice, you may want premium (I didn't want the leather since I have a dog), NAV is nice to have the better Idrive screen, or if you are into HUD get the tech package. PDC is nice if you are in a city and do a lot of parking, it does make it easier. I also got the HK stereo system, its great but half the time I have it off just so I can hear the engine and exaust as i go thru the gears. If you are not into the sports seats (i love them) then you don't even have to get the sport model. Put adaptive suspension on it (this is a must) and what other options you want and when you get the car put a bitching set of wheels and tires, keeping the original for winter driving.

Good luck mate.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I got the 2013 328i with technology package & heated seats. 6MT. Love it. The 6MT was a "must have" for me. Tech package was a splurge ($ is not unlimited) but the integration of nav, radio, & bluetooth is excellent. I could have dropped another 5 - 10k getting everything else, but I have no regrets with what I have.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
Since you're in an S4, the 335 is the better option if you can swing it.
I actually would make the opposite argument Since he already has the S4 to go to when he wants gobs of power, he should instead go for the 328i.

To the OP, I briefly looked at the no line, and while BMW has finally loaded it up for 2013 with a few nice things to stop people from laughing at how stripped it is, I think it is well worth to go for one of the lines. The base trim has homely looking plastic looking trim, ugly mate window trim that looks like duct tape, and misses many little nice touches.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
To the OP, I briefly looked at the no line, and while BMW has finally loaded it up for 2013 with a few nice things to stop people from laughing at how stripped it is, I think it is well worth to go for one of the lines. The base trim has homely looking plastic looking trim, ugly mate window trim that looks like duct tape, and misses many little nice touches.

I ABSOLUTELY agree! Any of the lines are a significant trim upgrade. For the 328i Sport (which I bought), the $2,700 gives you the 1. 18" Double Spoke Wheels (includes run flats), 2. black out kidney grills, 3. Blacked out B-pillars, 4. High Gloss front air intakes, 5. black exterior mirror caps, 6. Black Exhaust Tips, 7. Sport suspension (RWD only), 8. Door Sills with "BMW Sport", 9. Red Stitched leather steering wheel, 10. Sport Seats (worth the upgrade alone), 11. Red/Gloss Black trim option, 12. Chrome trim on AC and radio, 13. Variable color illumination effects, 14. Red Highlights Instrument Cluster (sweet), 15. Anthracite headliner, and 16. Red Sport Key Fob!

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 11-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
13. Variable color illumination effects,

I always wondered what that option does. Can you please explain about it's function.
Smoked Tail Lights
3D Carbon BMW stickers for Emblems
Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: volvo V70 for now
Smile Thanks for all the info

Thank you all for your comments. Here is what I take away from the input:
1. Don't fear the four. Just about nobody seems to be saying too rough too noisy, too whatever.
2. It is probably a good idea to get one of the "lines" because of the group of extras that come with it.The sport line sounds good but I have heard not wonderful things about the sport suspension and I do not plan to get an awd. We'll see.
3. I really don't need two cars of 300 or more hp and in fact right now have a v70R that I will be getting rid of in part because of that fact (and in part because my wife has said I could get a BMW if I get rid of the Volvo). Otherwise I might be looking more at the 335.
4. I do know that I will get a 6 speed just because that is what I like(and wife and grown kids can drive 6mts).
5. In order to avoid embarassing myself either in print or on the road I WILL extensively test-drive a 328 6mt before buying.
Thanks all, Walla2
Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sce46 View Post
I always wondered what that option does. Can you please explain about it's function.
Variable color illumination refers to the ambient cockpit lighting which can be white or orange depending on your mood.

After the last 6 years spending night drives in an orange glow, switching to white is cool.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic« | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package«
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:

2. It is probably a good idea to get one of the "lines" because of the group of extras that come with it.The sport line sounds good but I have heard not wonderful things about the sport suspension and I do not plan to get an awd. We'll see.
You sound like a candidate for the Luxury line. It's the first BMW suspension that makes me smile, the first one that isn't harsh on every road imperfection or exploding over potholes, nothing that makes my kids carsick, nothing my wife can't tolerate. It's been a life saver. I like the wheels and chrome trim around the windows vs. the Sport line, personal preference, as well as the Saddle interior which is only available as part of the Luxury line.

BJ

Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
You sound like a candidate for the Luxury line. It's the first BMW suspension that makes me smile, the first one that isn't harsh on every road imperfection or exploding over potholes, nothing that makes my kids carsick, nothing my wife can't tolerate. It's been a life saver. I like the wheels and chrome trim around the windows vs. the Sport line, personal preference, as well as the Saddle interior which is only available as part of the Luxury line.
I like features from both Luxury and Sport:

- Wheels: I prefer the Sport's, but nothing too dramatic here.
- Window trim: chrome looks specially nice with darker colors
- Seats: sport
- Suspension: if you get DHP, it's the same. Otherwise, Sport seems fairly compliant.
- Sunroof: luxury forces you to get Premium. Sport offers me the option of deleting something I don't like (would like even less paying for it).

Life is so tough.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:46 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
1. Don't fear the four. Just about nobody seems to be saying too rough too noisy, too whatever.
3. I really don't need two cars of 300 or more hp and in fact right now have a v70R that I will be getting rid of in part because of that fact (and in part because my wife has said I could get a BMW if I get rid of the Volvo). Otherwise I might be looking more at the 335.
4. I do know that I will get a 6 speed just because that is what I like(and wife and grown kids can drive 6mts).
5. In order to avoid embarassing myself either in print or on the road I WILL extensively test-drive a 328 6mt before buying.
Thanks all, Walla2
I can reiterate a couple of things I have learned here. The 328i although rated at 240HP seems to be more like 240HP at the wheels. I believe a few tests have confirmed this on the Dynos. The two advantages of the 328i is the weight distribution and the economy. The weight distribution on a 328i RWD with Manual is an incredible 49.5%/50.5% Front/Rear! This distribution makes for a light agile drive that some find more fun than the raw power of the 335i. The mileage increases on the Manual to 34 MPG but many reporting significantly higher! The distribution on the 335i RWD is 50.9%/49.1% Front Rear and the mileage drops on the 335 with the manual to 30 MPG. That being said, the raw power of the 335i in sport mode is intoxicating!

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
I like features from both Luxury and Sport:

- Wheels: I prefer the Sport's, but nothing too dramatic here.
- Window trim: chrome looks specially nice with darker colors
- Seats: sport
- Suspension: if you get DHP, it's the same. Otherwise, Sport seems fairly compliant.
- Sunroof: luxury forces you to get Premium. Sport offers me the option of deleting something I don't like (would like even less paying for it).

Life is so tough.
I know, first world problems, right?

I had to have Saddle which meant Luxury. I loved the Luxury wheels, was ambivalent on the chrome window trim, liked the more comfortable ride. But losing the sport seats is a killer, hate that fact every day.

BJ

Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=hot|ice=- View Post
make sure you drive it so it doesn't feel like an underwhelming boat.
+1

Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I can reiterate a couple of things I have learned here. The 328i although rated at 240HP seems to be more like 240HP at the wheels. I believe a few tests have confirmed this on the Dynos. The two advantages of the 328i is the weight distribution and the economy. The weight distribution on a 328i RWD with Manual is an incredible 49.5%/50.5% Front/Rear! This distribution makes for a light agile drive that some find more fun than the raw power of the 335i. The mileage increases on the Manual to 34 MPG but many reporting significantly higher! The distribution on the 335i RWD is 50.9%/49.1% Front Rear and the mileage drops on the 335 with the manual to 30 MPG. That being said, the raw power of the 335i in sport mode is intoxicating!
Yes to the above, but an important distinction:

We tend to average 38 MPH on a yearly basis, spend most of our time shuttling the kids to football practice in 30 MPH zones, moving from stop sign to stop sign in residential neighborhoods in 25 MPH zones, occasionally getting on a larger road to hit 50 MPH to get to the local Nordstroms, getting into the fast lane on the interstate and joining the flow at 80 MPH.

For that type of driving reality, the 328i is superior to the 335i. It's lighter, more nimble, and faster off the line, throw in the fuel economy and it's a no brainer. The only logical place for the 335i is in Germany on the Autobahn where those extra horses make a difference during high speed passing or cruising at 120 MPH. In this country, it's excessive and wasteful.

If the 335i never existed, everyone would be praising the 328i for the fantastic car it is. But because the 335i exists, it somehow makes people feel less about the 328i even though it now trumps the 335i in every meaningful way when it comes to realistic daily residential driving.

BJ

Old 11-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
For that type of driving reality, the 328i is superior to the 335i. It's lighter, more nimble, and faster off the line, throw in the fuel economy and it's a no brainer. The only logical place for the 335i is in Germany on the Autobahn where those extra horses make a difference during high speed passing or cruising at 120 MPH. In this country, it's excessive and wasteful.
The 328i makes about the same Hp as a 911 of 1990, but with probably more low end horsepower. It is actually more than enough to comfortably cruise at 120mph. Sure, more power can come in handy for passing at those speeds, but even in Germany, I bet that's not a common occurrence. But some people always want more power. The more power they have, the more insane the acceleration. It is not about speed, because your average car has that already covered. It's all about the thrill and rush of acceleration.

One can actually easily argue that even this engine is obnoxiously too powerful and wasteful. Audi has a new 1.8 TFSI that produces 170Hp and 236 lb-ft. I am sure BMW has something similar, and if not, it will soon have one. It would probably score an EPA hwy in the forties and still do 0-60mph around 7.5-8 sec. If Audi brought one to the US with FWD and a manual 6-speed, I probably would consider it as a green yet still fun alternative to the A4/328i with more potent 2.0Ts.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 AM

Mein Auto: boat
Quote:
Variable color illumination refers to the ambient cockpit lighting which can be white or orange depending on your mood.

After the last 6 years spending night drives in an orange glow, switching to white is cool.

BJ

Do you have to have the tech package to have this lighting options on the f30?

Does it change the orange back light of the speedo gauges to a white back light? I would like to have this. I have a f30 on the way and did not know about this option.

sry not trying to thread jack

Last edited by wayner44; 11-12-2012 at 12:39 AM.