Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1berious View Post
Hi,

I hope someone here can shed some light on this issue for me to.

I have recently got a 2007 Z4M Roadster and have had no joy getting the car to show up on BT on my iPhone 3GS. We have an E92 2007 330 and that set up with no issues at all.

I've found the manual useless (the button above the storage compartment? huh?) and some of the info on the web differing. (hold talk button on steering wheel, no wait hold the button in console between the seats, erm have ignition set to 1, erm do a rain dance etc)

I'm at the stage where I might go to a dealer but really don't want to as I should be able to do this my self.

The Z4M has sat nav.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

T1b
Real simple:

Have Bluetooth screen on phone showing.

Press talk (face) button on steering wheel

Car will find your phone

Plug in code from card in your manual packet

Hit pair on phone

Wait a minute for the car and phone to connect. Phone list will also download.

Scroll to phone number on radio or nav screen

Press talk to call!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 2003 3.0i
I would like to say hello everybody. I am new to this forum and seeking for help. Thanks in advance.

I would need some help pairing my Nokia E72 with my Z4 2003. After pairing and entering the code my phone disconects from the cars bluetooth.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 2009, Roadster
I have a Z 4, 2006 and the I phone, and after much frustration in obtaining the 4 digit code I let the dealership do it for me. The mechanic came out and looked all over the car but no visible no's he also said the earlier models each one had its own code no. the later models ones, you make up your own code. He took it into the shop and hooked it up to something and nthree minuets later came back with all functioning.He also gave me a print out with the code no on it. I never had the card with the no. just a helpfull mechanic. Some dealership want as much as $70 to pair the two. Now that it works it sure is nice.
Arnie
Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4
Question... I have a Z4 2005 2.5 sport
Are all US 2005 and up Bluetooth enabled? My phone finds the car and asks me to put the pin in but tells me the PK is incorrect..

Canadian dealer told me that the 2005 cars are not equipped..

I heard the PK is in the trunk but I would hate to tear it up myself and it seems that the dealer does not want to either...
Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i Roadster
'04 z4

I would also like to use my phone's bluetooth with my Z4 and this is what I found. My car is bluetooth enabled (TCU in trunk and BMW assist button between seats,) however, it does not have a preset PK, I used 0000. I have android phones and the steering wheel controls do not work with my phone. I can make/answer a phone call (with the phone) while bluetooth is enabled and I can hear the other party, but they cannot hear me. I know the car's microphone works because I've used it to call BMW Assist. I have not spoken to a dealer about this, but from reading other threads, I believe the TCU in the trunk needs to be upgraded with a newer unit. Anyway, I'll live without it for now.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 M Coupe
Question No PK Code and No Owners Manual

I recently bought an 08 Z4MC from a dealer who managed to lose the Owners Manaual while prepping the car for me. I think I can find the PK for the bluetooth pairing from the helpful instructions posted on this thread. The probelm I'm having is getting the pairing process started. I navigate to Phone but there is no activation or pairing option that I can find. When I hold down the phone button on the steering wheel and try to say things like "New Phone" or "phone Activation" or "Pair Phone" the cars says "There are no phone numbers in the address book" (I'm paraphrasing) Can anyone help me get the process started?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4M
Z4 Bluetooth Pairing

Hey guys,

New to this forum and have recently purchased a 2007 Z4M with Bluetooth and Satnav. I encountered the same mindboggling issues with the pairing and tried the many solutions offered on this thread - all to no avail.

Recently took the car into BMW for its Inspection 2 (expensive!) and asked them to take a look at it - and they fixed it!

They plugged the car into their computer reader and deleted all previous phones that were paired to the car. It appears that the car Bluetooth memory buffer fills up and will not accept a new phone unless it is cleared. However, when I picked the car up it still would not pair - not sure why this happened but they took my phone (iphone 4s) next door to the garage and hooked the car up to computer and paired it with no problems.

Now I have it working - if someone could tell me how to add phone numbers to the speed dial it would be very much appreciated!

Chris
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07z43.0i View Post
Does anyone if the bluetooth that the 2007 Z4 comes with can be paired for both phone calls and music with an iPhone? I.e., I understand I can use BT to make phone calls, can I also use it to play music (rather than having a separate aux for music or a ipod kit)?
I have an iPhone 5 and a 2007 Z4, and I can use the bluetooth no problem for making calls. But music doesn't stream via bluetooth in the Z4 like it does in my Avalanche. However, I have Mediabridge in my Z4 and it works perfectly for playing music AND charging my iPhone.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM

Oh, and the Pass Key is like Ron posted above. Very easy to find. Doesn't involve a lot of effort (mine took less than 10 minutes to pull back the carpet and get the number and put the carpet back.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
get rid of that fisher-price "my first smart phone' trash iphone and get an adult phone... problem solved.

seriously,

the bluetooth pair code should be in your owners manual. ensure that the phone module is in the trunk. (behind the carpet on the drivers side).

Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: '08 z4 osi
I no nothing digging up the carpet in the trunk to find my pass key...do I need to back to the dealership (100 miles away) to have them do this? if I do, and they give me pass key, will I still be able to use the music on my iphone! it seems to recognize my phone...it will ask me for the pass key. totally in the dark about this one guys!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 PM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvaria View Post
get rid of that fisher-price "my first smart phone' trash iphone and get an adult phone... problem solved.

'05 330Ci ZHP ..PD99819______________'07 Z4M Coupe ..LL93707
Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 PM

fischer price phone

hahaha! you were a great help!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 AM

Dixie. The key for pairing your phone is in the owners manual. If you don't have that, you can find the pass key in the trunk. There is a carpeted divider along the trunk between the back seats and trunk space. You can pull that away, and you should see a white box on the left hand side of the trunk wall. On that is a sticker that will have a pass key number on it. There are other threads on this site that go into greater detail. It's fairly simple procedure, and there shouldn't be any need to pay the dealership for the number. Get in there and find it and feel good about doing it without the dealer taking your money!

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 06-01-2013, 12:37 AM

thank you for your time...I will try it!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 2009, Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmikep View Post
I recently bought a 2005 Z4 that has BMW Assist. I believe it has bluetooth as well since the steering wheel controls are there and the radio responds. However, I can't seem to pair my iPhone with it, something I was able to do with my previous two Bimmers ('01 325i and '06 330i). The instruction booklet is just confusing as can be. Am I missing something?

Also, I don't have the iPod adapter and from what I can tell, it wouldn't work properly with the iPhone anyway. Are there other options available to me so I can listen to my podcasts? My previous car had an aux input jack.
I had similar problem I gave up and went to dealership and had them resolve it . The service manual was of no value, not a great response but what ever number I was in need of it was no where to be found. Their computer did come up with the series of numbers and since it has been up and running. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Re: iPhone and the Z4 (bluetooth & audio question)

Get rid of the fisher-price my first smartphone. Thats half the problem solved.

sent from my mind. Mentoc the Mindtaker

Old 09-05-2013, 03:05 PM

I have had no problems pairing my iPhone 4s & iPhone 5 with the bluetooth in my 2007. I just followed the instructions in the manual. You sure your Z4 has bluetooth? Also, I could use my iPhone as is with the car as it had an aux jack under the dashboard by the shifter. Did you look under there? It's not really obvious. If all else fails, you do have options open to you. I have a DUO setup in my Z4 from bavsound--allows you to hook up your iPhone to the stereo and use the controls on the steering wheel to control volume, change tracks, and it charges your phone as well. Hope this helps!

2007 Z4 3.0si