Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 550
2010 550i iPhone 5 not recognized

Hi, I just got my iPhone 5 plugged into my 2010 550i and the idrive does not recognize the phone.

I'm using the usb to lightning cable.

If I plug in my wife's iphone 4 it connects fine.

Has anyone been able to get the iphone 5 to work?
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
I synced my iphone5 with Bluetooth, no prob. I haven't tried to use 6fl aux port yet. I think you may have to use the BMW media cable for 6fl with a lightning connector adapter to recognize the phone.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: E60 '08 535xi, E83 '07 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedavis View Post
Hi, I just got my iPhone 5 plugged into my 2010 550i and the idrive does not recognize the phone.

I'm using the usb to lightning cable.

If I plug in my wife's iphone 4 it connects fine.

Has anyone been able to get the iphone 5 to work?
Are you using Apple USB to Lightning cable or aftermarket? Another idea is to use the Apple adapter with the BMW cable set.
BMWCCA #135536
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM

The bluetooth sync works fine. I'm able to make calls and see my phone book.

However when I plug into the USB port in the console using the Apple Lightning cable, the phone isn't recognized.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: E60 '08 535xi, E83 '07 X3
You're right. I just tried it in my car. If you try using your wife's iPhone4 with the Apple USB cable it will not work as well. The key must be the BMW's magic cable set. Try buying the Apple adapter (which I don't have yet) and let me know if it will work with iPhone5. It should, unless BMW is doing somethign silly.
BMWCCA #135536
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Nothing to see here...

Mein Auto: '08 535i
Quote:

However when I plug into the USB port in the console using the Apple Lightning cable, the phone isn't recognized.

What may work is to use the Lightning dock adapter and the stock BMW iPod cable (the one that has the 30-pin Apple dock connector on it).

I know of other folk that have tried to use a standard USB to 30-pin dock on the previous gen iPhones and iPods and it doesn't work. There is something different about BMW's iPod cable and you need to have it "in the loop" to get an iDevice to work in an e60.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM

The trick is Apple hasn't shipped the lightning dock adapter yet.

I drove to the Apple store and was told they're not available.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Grn Bmr View Post
I synced my iphone5 with Bluetooth, no prob. I haven't tried to use 6fl aux port yet. I think you may have to use the BMW media cable for 6fl with a lightning connector adapter to recognize the phone.
It's the 6fl adapter cable. It has a USB connector, & a 3.5 mm plug. The deal is the inline module that sits at the base of the plugs. That's what the Idrive recognizes. That's why just a normal USB adapter doesn't work. All that does is charge the phone. You can purchase a USB to USB connector cable, & use it with the 6fl cable, connect your lightning usb cable into the usb connector cable, then connect that to the 6fl, & you should be good, until the lightning adapter comes out. http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...96&hg=65&fg=95. http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cabl...b+to+usb+cable
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM

Yes, I already have that cable. I don't the the adapter that fits the iPhone 5 yet.

I guess, i'll just have to wait until I can get an adapter or bmw releases a cradle.

thanks everyone.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535i
The adapter just started shipping from the apple store. I ordered mine this past Monday and I won't be getting it until October 18th..ish... with rushed delivery.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
The trick is Apple hasn't shipped the lightning dock adapter yet.

I drove to the Apple store and was told they're not available.
Mine just shipped as of last night and is scheduled to deliver next Tuesday. I, myself, am curious to see if this will work. I'll let everyone know what I find out as soon as I try it.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 535xit
Apple Lightning Adaptor Kills iPod Out on BMW, Mini Models

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/09...ning-bmw-mini/

Would-be iPhone 5 owners are in store for disappointment when they connect their shiny new Apple device into their BMW or Mini model. The new Lightning connector and the adapter necessary to convert the nearly decade-old 30-pin arrangement to the new 8-pin setup won’t work with the vehicle’s iPod Out functionality.

iPod Out allows drivers to get a familiar, iPod-like interface displayed on the in-dash screen if they equipped their BMW and Mini models with the feature. The new Lightning connector eliminates the analog video signal required to transmit that display to the screen, so iPod Out functionality is dead … for now.

BMW spokespeople made it emphatically clear that owners will still be able to listen to music, podcasts and other audio over the built-in stereo, along with accessing BMW Apps and Mini Connected features using the combination of the new Lightning adaptor fitted to the existing 30-pin connector and the duo of USB and 1/8-inch audio jack supplied by both BMW and Mini. So yes, the tunes will continue to flow, but the automaker’s PlugIn feature – enabling video playback while stationary and the mirrored Apple interface – is officially out.

According to BMW spokesman Dave Buchko, “There is a lot we still don’t know, but BMW has a long history of finding compatibility solutions for iPods and smartphones where none existed.”
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcollins View Post
Mine just shipped as of last night and is scheduled to deliver next Tuesday. I, myself, am curious to see if this will work. I'll let everyone know what I find out as soon as I try it.
Hey Everyone,

Just an update that my adapter delivered today and it works just fine with the split cable from BMW. All songs upload into iDrive, etc just like it used to work with my iPhone 4.

I have a 2008 535i....
Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Nothing to see here...

Mein Auto: '08 535i
^^^
Great news!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcollins View Post
Hey Everyone,

Just an update that my adapter delivered today and it works just fine with the split cable from BMW. All songs upload into iDrive, etc just like it used to work with my iPhone 4.

I have a 2008 535i....
Same for me! It worked just fine. I heard about problems though if you use the lightning to usb cable. I never tried that myself; i just waited for the adapter. I have a 2010 535.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Great news, I'm waiting for my adapter to arrive!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: Mazda 3
I've got a 2010 535 w/Nav and the 30 pin, twin cable iPod adapter that came with that package. I ordered the 30 pin to Lightning adapter, plugged it in, and got my music to come up. However, it will not charge the phone. A yellow triangle with an exclamation point comes up on the phone with a message saying that it is incompatible for charging.

Anybody else have this problem? Everything else works fine - just as it did with my old iPhone 4.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM

Thumbs up

Well thanks for all of the replies.
I've received my adapter cable.

The good:
I have the same iphone functionality as before.

Spotify works! I can see the song that's playing and move up and down the playlist with the steering wheel controls.

I'm able to charge the phone as well.

The bad: I'm being nit picky here. The white housing around Lightning connector on the adapter is larger than the standard USB-Lightning cable. I had to pull out the Dremel and modify my case to permit the larger housing.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: '10 e60
Quote:

I tried every possible way to sync iPhone 5 with 2010 528, no luck. iPhone 5 always says that car is out of range (dont remember exactly the wording...).

Using bluetooth function is the most important thing for, I do a lot of driving and need to call from car constantly. If somebody could explain what steps they performed would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

What I tried:

I deleted all phones from the car.
Tried 4, 6, 9 characters PIN codes.
Restarted iPhone before trying to sync.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
iPhone5 not regocnized

Deleted..

Last edited by vahiker99; 02-22-2013 at 08:04 AM.