Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0i Roadster
Another rear window post

I know the rear window has been discussed over and over but....... I usually fix and repair, replace most everything on my Z myself. For some reason I made the decision to have the BMW dealer do my rear window. I guess I didn't want the aggravation. It did not come out as well as I expected but I can live with it. (It seem to have more wave in it than I thought it would being brand new OEM) It was a nice day today when I picked up the car so put the top down for the ride home. I rolled up a towel and placed it in the "U" fold of the window like most people suggest you do. I just put the top back up and DAMN IT MAN. There's a crease right in the middle of the brand new window. Horizontal from one side to the other. And for all of you with older windows you can see where the plastic has a white color where the crease is? Are these windows that delicate where after just one cycle the window has already started it's demise? What the H3## is going on?
Ads by Google
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
rear window

Hey, I am on my 3rd window since purchasing the car over 7 yrs ago. I have acquired a crease in the middle on each window, so I chose to live with it. However, there is another option. I recently purchased a hard top.....glass rear window BTW if the top is lowered during cool weather ,the plastic is stiff and will form a crease easier than in warm weather when the plastic is softer. Good Luck!!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0i Roadster
Good Point but.......

That is true and a very good point. Plastic would be affected by temperature. The problem is that I live in South Carolina and yesterday (the day I had the new window installed ) it was in the mid-70's. I just wished BMW wouldn't have went on the cheap when they designed the window.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
Just a guess, but maybe you can massage it out by applying heat, perhaps with hair dryer, slowly and lightly and see if the crease goes away.
I would put the top up, and then use the hair dryer on the affected area.

One thing, have you tried calling the dealer 1st?

About the hardtop option, doesn't the hardtop go on with the top in its folded state? If so, doesn't that crease the window in cool temps?
I have never heard anybody talk about what happens to the canvas top and plastic window after being "stored" like that for extended periods of time?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
window crease

Yes, the window crease in the plastic window will probably be more evident after sitting dormant while the hardtop is on the car. But, when Summer arrives, the soft top will be down most of the time driving the car. Hey, it's a convertible. Like I mentioned before, I have just accepted the crease in the plastic rear window. After 3 plastic windows, that's enough replacements. LOL The soft top is cloth and should not be affected.

Last edited by morrieschoice; 11-11-2012 at 05:02 PM.