Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
I'm just trying to gain as much information as possible before committing.

It's inevitable that I have to take it to get fixed since I'm too much of a novice to figure it out...
But I'd like to get as much insight as possible so they can't feed me bull **** when the time does come.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Learning Daily

Mein Auto: 89 CIVIC
so you're getting a check engine light... which indicates cyl6 misfire... why dont you start with that.

try swapping coils and see if the misfire follows.

yes you can check to see your adaptation values but if the car was running that lean it would have set adaptation codes already and you'd be running rough at all times.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
You had all those codes because your voltage dropped below about 10 volts at some point. That'll light up everything including the ABS/DTC/DSC Christmas tree.

You will be going without a car soon, one way or another.
or he installed/uninstalled the JB4 before the dme went to sleep. unplugging the DME while its still awake will make it unhappy
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemorrhage View Post
Instead of pulling the intake...
Couldn't you just spray seafoam or whatever into the throttle body?
NO
there is no magical shortcut.
nothing you spray into the engine is going to do much other than lighten your wallet. and create a noxious cloud of smoke that the people around you will not be happy about.

if your valves are carbon crusted, the only way to clean them is to mechanically do it. best way is by a walnut shell blasting, distant second best way is with brass brushes and alot of solvent.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
or he installed/uninstalled the JB4 before the dme went to sleep. unplugging the DME while its still awake will make it unhappy
After installing the JB4 (or lack of), I started the car and the car went crazy. I think every light came on, and it shook like a mother ****er.
Turns out, I forgot to plug the actually JB4 box in...
At first, I thought that was the component that went into the computer, for some reason...(to do CSV logs and such).

I'm hoping that's what caused those codes...and not the strain that was put on the drivetrain with the tune in.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 AM

So, I took my car to BMW last week.
They were baffled.
But, I guess it's understandable if you can't replicate the problem on command.

I brought up the idea of built up carbon in the intake valves. They were pretty certain that that is what's causing it, but they weren't able to pull the intake manifold and verify it.
They mentioned that if that IS the problem, it wouldn't be covered under my warranty. So, I told them to just ignore it and asked for my car back so I could afford the bill.
Luckily, they didn't charge me for the X hours they spent messing with it.

However, I can't understand how it isn't covered under my CPO warranty. The power train is covered, and built up carbon on the intake valves is part of the engine...
Anybody know anything about that?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
So, I took my car to BMW last week.
They were baffled.
But, I guess it's understandable if you can't replicate the problem on command.

I brought up the idea of built up carbon in the intake valves. They were pretty certain that that is what's causing it, but they weren't able to pull the intake manifold and verify it.
They mentioned that if that IS the problem, it wouldn't be covered under my warranty. So, I told them to just ignore it and asked for my car back so I could afford the bill.
Luckily, they didn't charge me for the X hours they spent messing with it.

However, I can't understand how it isn't covered under my CPO warranty. The power train is covered, and built up carbon on the intake valves is part of the engine...
Anybody know anything about that?
No, but I'd read the fine print on the warranty if I were in your shoes.
There are easier ways to check the intake valves than pulling the intake manifold. In fact, I rarely would. One way is to remove the throttle body and run a borescope down the intake. The latest model has high resolution video out, and records in color. By twisting the lead as the scope passes down the manifold it is possible to access most ports and get a good idea if that's the problem.

A second way is to pass a borescope down the sparkplug hole after rotating the engine so that the intakes are open. You can then inspect the area right behind the valve head which usually has the worst accretion. Given my druthers, I'd go through the throttle body. It gives me a better look at all the nooks and crannies.

Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for the exam it the throttle body is removed. Gaskets included.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
No, but I'd read the fine print on the warranty if I were in your shoes.
There are easier ways to check the intake valves than pulling the intake manifold. In fact, I rarely would. One way is to remove the throttle body and run a borescope down the intake. The latest model has high resolution video out, and records in color. By twisting the lead as the scope passes down the manifold it is possible to access most ports and get a good idea if that's the problem.

A second way is to pass a borescope down the sparkplug hole after rotating the engine so that the intakes are open. You can then inspect the area right behind the valve head which usually has the worst accretion. Given my druthers, I'd go through the throttle body. It gives me a better look at all the nooks and crannies.

Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for the exam it the throttle body is removed. Gaskets included.
I looked over the "what's not included" section of the CPO warranty.
Can't say I found a concrete statement saying why it isn't covered.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

----

What boroscope are you using; whatsa resolution? Wireless comm?

OP, on the second para, don't neglect the relatively easy DIY - I've received the BMW parts from Tischer in anticipation of reaching 60k mi some day.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

OP, on the second para, don't neglect the relatively easy DIY - I've received the BMW parts from Tischer in anticipation of reaching 60k mi some day.
Oh, I definitely plan on doing it myself now that I have a pretty good idea that that is the problem.
I'm just not understanding why it's not covered.

Another thing I don't understand is...why would carbon build up cause a misfire?
I've also been paying attention to the problem and found something else out...why would it only happen at full operating temperature?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Oh, I definitely plan on doing it myself now that I have a pretty good idea that that is the problem.
I'm just not understanding why it's not covered.

Another thing I don't understand is...why would carbon build up cause a misfire?
I've also been paying attention to the problem and found something else out...why would it only happen at full operating temperature?

Poor seal; obstruction to flow.

Did I post this?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Poor seal; obstruction to flow.

Did I post this?
Yes. I have it saved for when the time comes. Thanks.

Is this a problem on all turbo'd+fuel injected engines? Or is it just another problem on the N54 platform?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Yes. I have it saved for when the time comes. Thanks.

Is this a problem on all turbo'd+fuel injected engines? Or is it just another problem on the N54 platform?

An issue with all directly injected engines as, unlike other config's, fuel does not wash the intake valves. Likely source of coke: PCV
Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:

Snap-On, second gen. with optional extended length probe. Unsure of resolution, easily able to see 1/32" objects though. Not wireless though some of my tools are Bluetooth. This one has the screen on it.
Snap-On now has a remote screen, Bluetooth enabled borescope but I would have no use for it.