Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 10-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Hemorrhage Hemorrhage is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
I'm just trying to gain as much information as possible before committing.

It's inevitable that I have to take it to get fixed since I'm too much of a novice to figure it out...
But I'd like to get as much insight as possible so they can't feed me bull **** when the time does come.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 PM
chansta chansta is offline
Learning Daily
Location: SOCAL
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 266
Mein Auto: 89 CIVIC
so you're getting a check engine light... which indicates cyl6 misfire... why dont you start with that.

try swapping coils and see if the misfire follows.

yes you can check to see your adaptation values but if the car was running that lean it would have set adaptation codes already and you'd be running rough at all times.
__________________
iATN
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is offline
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,072
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
You had all those codes because your voltage dropped below about 10 volts at some point. That'll light up everything including the ABS/DTC/DSC Christmas tree.

You will be going without a car soon, one way or another.
or he installed/uninstalled the JB4 before the dme went to sleep. unplugging the DME while its still awake will make it unhappy
__________________
Past: 2001 330i ZSP/ZPP/Step
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT Sport
Past: 2007 335i 6MT ZSP/ZCW/322/655
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is offline
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,072
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemorrhage View Post
Instead of pulling the intake...
Couldn't you just spray seafoam or whatever into the throttle body?
NO
there is no magical shortcut.
nothing you spray into the engine is going to do much other than lighten your wallet. and create a noxious cloud of smoke that the people around you will not be happy about.

if your valves are carbon crusted, the only way to clean them is to mechanically do it. best way is by a walnut shell blasting, distant second best way is with brass brushes and alot of solvent.
__________________
Past: 2001 330i ZSP/ZPP/Step
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT Sport
Past: 2007 335i 6MT ZSP/ZCW/322/655
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Hemorrhage Hemorrhage is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
or he installed/uninstalled the JB4 before the dme went to sleep. unplugging the DME while its still awake will make it unhappy
After installing the JB4 (or lack of), I started the car and the car went crazy. I think every light came on, and it shook like a mother ****er.
Turns out, I forgot to plug the actually JB4 box in...
At first, I thought that was the component that went into the computer, for some reason...(to do CSV logs and such).

I'm hoping that's what caused those codes...and not the strain that was put on the drivetrain with the tune in.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Hemorrhage Hemorrhage is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
So, I took my car to BMW last week.
They were baffled.
But, I guess it's understandable if you can't replicate the problem on command.

I brought up the idea of built up carbon in the intake valves. They were pretty certain that that is what's causing it, but they weren't able to pull the intake manifold and verify it.
They mentioned that if that IS the problem, it wouldn't be covered under my warranty. So, I told them to just ignore it and asked for my car back so I could afford the bill.
Luckily, they didn't charge me for the X hours they spent messing with it.

However, I can't understand how it isn't covered under my CPO warranty. The power train is covered, and built up carbon on the intake valves is part of the engine...
Anybody know anything about that?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-10-2012, 05:05 PM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,474
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemorrhage View Post
So, I took my car to BMW last week.
They were baffled.
But, I guess it's understandable if you can't replicate the problem on command.

I brought up the idea of built up carbon in the intake valves. They were pretty certain that that is what's causing it, but they weren't able to pull the intake manifold and verify it.
They mentioned that if that IS the problem, it wouldn't be covered under my warranty. So, I told them to just ignore it and asked for my car back so I could afford the bill.
Luckily, they didn't charge me for the X hours they spent messing with it.

However, I can't understand how it isn't covered under my CPO warranty. The power train is covered, and built up carbon on the intake valves is part of the engine...
Anybody know anything about that?
No, but I'd read the fine print on the warranty if I were in your shoes.
There are easier ways to check the intake valves than pulling the intake manifold. In fact, I rarely would. One way is to remove the throttle body and run a borescope down the intake. The latest model has high resolution video out, and records in color. By twisting the lead as the scope passes down the manifold it is possible to access most ports and get a good idea if that's the problem.

A second way is to pass a borescope down the sparkplug hole after rotating the engine so that the intakes are open. You can then inspect the area right behind the valve head which usually has the worst accretion. Given my druthers, I'd go through the throttle body. It gives me a better look at all the nooks and crannies.

Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for the exam it the throttle body is removed. Gaskets included.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Hemorrhage Hemorrhage is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
No, but I'd read the fine print on the warranty if I were in your shoes.
There are easier ways to check the intake valves than pulling the intake manifold. In fact, I rarely would. One way is to remove the throttle body and run a borescope down the intake. The latest model has high resolution video out, and records in color. By twisting the lead as the scope passes down the manifold it is possible to access most ports and get a good idea if that's the problem.

A second way is to pass a borescope down the sparkplug hole after rotating the engine so that the intakes are open. You can then inspect the area right behind the valve head which usually has the worst accretion. Given my druthers, I'd go through the throttle body. It gives me a better look at all the nooks and crannies.

Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for the exam it the throttle body is removed. Gaskets included.
I looked over the "what's not included" section of the CPO warranty.
Can't say I found a concrete statement saying why it isn't covered.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:19 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
There are easier ways to check the intake valves than pulling the intake manifold. In fact, I rarely would. One way is to remove the throttle body and run a borescope down the intake. The latest model has high resolution video out, and records in color. By twisting the lead as the scope passes down the manifold it is possible to access most ports and get a good idea if that's the problem.

----

Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for the exam it the throttle body is removed. Gaskets included.

What boroscope are you using; whatsa resolution? Wireless comm?

OP, on the second para, don't neglect the relatively easy DIY - I've received the BMW parts from Tischer in anticipation of reaching 60k mi some day.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Hemorrhage Hemorrhage is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
What boroscope are you using; whatsa resolution? Wireless comm?

OP, on the second para, don't neglect the relatively easy DIY - I've received the BMW parts from Tischer in anticipation of reaching 60k mi some day.
Oh, I definitely plan on doing it myself now that I have a pretty good idea that that is the problem.
I'm just not understanding why it's not covered.

Another thing I don't understand is...why would carbon build up cause a misfire?
I've also been paying attention to the problem and found something else out...why would it only happen at full operating temperature?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:26 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemorrhage View Post
Oh, I definitely plan on doing it myself now that I have a pretty good idea that that is the problem.
I'm just not understanding why it's not covered.

Another thing I don't understand is...why would carbon build up cause a misfire?
I've also been paying attention to the problem and found something else out...why would it only happen at full operating temperature?

Poor seal; obstruction to flow.

Did I post this?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Hemorrhage Hemorrhage is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 277
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Poor seal; obstruction to flow.

Did I post this?
Yes. I have it saved for when the time comes. Thanks.

Is this a problem on all turbo'd+fuel injected engines? Or is it just another problem on the N54 platform?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemorrhage View Post
Yes. I have it saved for when the time comes. Thanks.

Is this a problem on all turbo'd+fuel injected engines? Or is it just another problem on the N54 platform?

An issue with all directly injected engines as, unlike other config's, fuel does not wash the intake valves. Likely source of coke: PCV
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,474
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
What boroscope are you using; whatsa resolution? Wireless comm?

OP, on the second para, don't neglect the relatively easy DIY - I've received the BMW parts from Tischer in anticipation of reaching 60k mi some day.
Snap-On, second gen. with optional extended length probe. Unsure of resolution, easily able to see 1/32" objects though. Not wireless though some of my tools are Bluetooth. This one has the screen on it.
Snap-On now has a remote screen, Bluetooth enabled borescope but I would have no use for it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms