Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Mein Auto: MH-60S
Pre-warranty expiration Indy inspection

Well I'm a few years away from the original warranty running up. But I'm seeing some familiar faces around here migrate to the F30. So I want to ask this now vice 3 years from now when there are only a few of us left save the heavy mod crowd (no offense).

What do y'all think of the idea of taking your cars to an Indy for a thorough going over say 500 mi or 1 month prior to warranty expiration in order to identify items needing repair or replacement that have not or cannot manifest themselves through a fault code, etc...

This question is really pointed at those who intend to keep their E9Xs beyond their expiration of the original warranty.

Unnecessary?

How much to expect to pay the Indy?

Thanks in advance!
(DSX, please chime in here!)
Old 11-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBoyWA View Post
Well I'm a few years away from the original warranty running up. But I'm seeing some familiar faces around here migrate to the F30. So I want to ask this now vice 3 years from now when there are only a few of us left save the heavy mod crowd (no offense).

What do y'all think of the idea of taking your cars to an Indy for a thorough going over say 500 mi or 1 month prior to warranty expiration in order to identify items needing repair or replacement that have not or cannot manifest themselves through a fault code, etc...

This question is really pointed at those who intend to keep their E9Xs beyond their expiration of the original warranty.

Unnecessary?

How much to expect to pay the Indy?

Thanks in advance!
(DSX, please chime in here!)
You're worrying about lease turn-in two years in advance? BTW...in your pic it appears that you've hit the garage door!?

If this is your first lease, the process is rather straight forward. BMW NA will send you a kit to measure door dings and explain 'damage' expectations.

Do you have any damage on your car now? The biggest issue could be tires...BMW wants OE spec RF tires with a certain amount of tread remaining. They MUST BE runflat tires.

When I turned in my E92 I had 'minor' bumper damage...about $800 worth. Since I intended to acquire another BMW, I insisted that the BMW dealer "forgive" this damage as part of the purchase deal...I negotiated with multiple dealers. In my "final" deal for my E90 I never ended up paying for the damage and feel that my final negotiated price was very good.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 11-10-2012, 06:41 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBoyWA View Post
Well I'm a few years away from the original warranty running up. What do y'all think of the idea of taking your cars to an Indy for a thorough going over say 500 mi or 1 month prior to warranty expiration in order to identify items needing repair or replacement that have not or cannot manifest themselves through a fault code, etc...
Please check in again 500 mi or 1 month prior to warranty expiration.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Are you guys kidding me?

The car was paid for in cash. Sorry if I made it appear as though I leased. Plan is to drive it into the ground (20 years or so). And yes, I backed it into the garage and decided that would make a great pic for my sig.

And secondly, I'm askin' now, because I think that at this time, there's a good amount of corporate knowledge in this forum. Now, not in 3 years.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Yes, it's a good idea. I did this with my previous car (an Audi S4) and got several things taken care of for free that would have cost me later.

Expect to pay $75-150 for a thorough going over.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasa-d View Post
Yes, it's a good idea. I did this with my previous car (an Audi S4) and got several things taken care of for free that would have cost me later.

Expect to pay $75-150 for a thorough going over.

Pasa-d, Thanks for the word. I'm guessing the repairs cost more than the inspection, thus justifying the exercise?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
Umm I wouldn't waste the time or effort of finding a good indy.

In all honesty only you know whats going on your car. I told BMW my thurst bushings where going and they insisted it was fine. Till in the end I told them I want them replacing. Which they did and I was right. Only you know when little things happen the hardest part is puting it down to what part.

Normal stuff will wear but your job will be to point out that stuff. I took my car to BMW 4 times over a 3 month period and they would spot one or 2 things but not the stuff that bothered me the most. Even my indy shop missed things. (I use an indy for items I know are pointless covered by 2 years unlimited mile warranty) I.e. Gaskets are not covered. Service items like fluid replacements are not covered but anything mechanical and I`ll have the dealer replace them.
I have done 30,000 in 10 month I am pretty sure I will make use of the unlimited mile portion of the warranty.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Leekay07

See, I know a bit about cars. But, for instance, I'm not too certain as to what a thrust bushing is. I'm certain that there are many other type items that I have no idea of.

I can change my oil and brake pads. Beyond that, I'm not a mechanic. It's not my business. Not that I don't have an interest. But knowing what I need to know for my profession (and there's plenty to know) is always going to outweigh what I'm going to know about cars. At least until retirement.

In some ways I look at this as a pre-purchase inspection. I want to find out about the things that I don't know are wearing, worn, going, gone... and then get them repaired or replaced before the warranty expires.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
Thurst Arm Bushes (lower control arm bushes). I knew they where going/gone when I hit a bump i thought my car was hit metal to metal. The only one who could relay that to a dealer is you