Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3
Unhappy Urgent Help Please! FAULT CODE: P0170 - What's wrong?

Hi,

I have a BMW Z3, Engine size 1.9, Year: 2000.

The Engine Management Light was open yesterday.
I have asked someone to check the car and get the FAULT CODE: P0170, Fuel Trim Malf.

However, he can't find what's wrong of the car(the computer can only get the fault code, but not tell you what's wrong with it)

Can anyone knows what's exactly part I need to fix/replace?

Thank you very much in advance!

Jim
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0i
Probably the mass airflow meter. I would try cleaning it, resetting the code and see if it comes back.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks Syaka,

Could you show me some instruction(or picutures) about how to get it out of the car?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-22-2008, 12:49 PM

I got it check again, the error code is P0170, and the error reason is: Multiplicative Mix Correction bank1.

Does anyone know what is it? and what should I get fixed/replaced?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-22-2008, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0i
It may be a pre-cat O2 sensor from what I'm reading. I think this is the same code my car had a few months ago and it went away after I replaced the bank 1 sensor. I bought a new Bosch sensor at Pep Boys for $70 and installed it myself in about 15 minutes.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Thanks Syaka,

Could you please let me know which O2 sensor should be replaced?(front or back)

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 AM

The problem was: Air flow pipe not secure - by BMW

It's fixed now, thanks guys!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: e46 coupe
hi iv got the managment light come on an was put on a computor air mixter fuel trim bank1 iv changed both oxygen sensors & air mas flow then reset an cums back on does any 1 no what else can cause this.checked for air leaks aswell.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3, 2.8
Hello, everyone.
I see this thread is a couple of years old, but I'm going to share with everyone what I've experienced over the last couple of weeks and a P0170 (Bank 1 Lean) error.

For a while now, I've experienced rough idle when the engine is cold. At first I thought it might be bad gas, but it never went away. It got progressively worse then the computer started outputting the P0170 code, along with an intermittent mis-fire once the engine was warmed up. I read what everyone else posted here and tried a couple of things - cleaning the MAF, checking for leaks. It occurred to me as I smelled engine oil burning on the exhaust mainfold one morning as the engine was warming up, that if the oil could leak out onto the exhaust manifold, air could get in and cause problems. I changed the valve cover gaskets this weekend and my problems seem to have gone away. It starts up smooth now, idles great when cold, and no more miss fires.

After 125,000 miles the gaskets were extremely dried out and cracked into pieces when I removed them.

It was the best $30 bucks I could have spent.

I hope this post maybe saves someone from buying a lot of expensive parts they don't need.