Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528
Really nice thread. I really enjoyed reading it. So many other threads are about guys complaining about their cars or the typical E39 issues. I'm on vacation this week and this thread makes me think I should really take my SC off the shelf and install it.....but it will be going on my Mustang. My E39 is my DD and I want to keep it that way.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Boosted

Mein Auto: 03 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay88 View Post
My E39 is my DD and I want to keep it that way.
so is mine

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower
Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
CNS lightweight dm flywheel/Spec clutch,
ST coilovers,
Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets,
Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Boosted

Ay my boosted brothers Im thinking of installing Superspint headers. Now im running the stock Vf engineering tune but with these supersprints installed will i need a custom tune for maximum performance out of these headers or would they perform the same with the Vf tune? Allso would they be a problem with the Vf tune ? or can i just bolt them on and im good to go ?

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Mein Auto: E46 M3Cic6MT, E39 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaRay View Post
Ay my boosted brothers Im thinking of installing Superspint headers. Now im running the stock Vf engineering tune but with these supersprints installed will i need a custom tune for maximum performance out of these headers or would they perform the same with the Vf tune? Allso would they be a problem with the Vf tune ? or can i just bolt them on and im good to go ?
I can't speak to E39 - VF exactly but I can speak to the same exact question for a number of forced induction cars, and the answer is usually:
- yes to get the most from them you would need a custom tune or an upgraded off-shelf tune from VF
- yes you prob would get some small gains on the base VF setup, prob not as much big dyno peak number gains as "area under curve" type and mostly noticeable in part throttle and mid-RPM roll-on benefits (this is because most tunes are optimized for WOT & redline but have room to trim and adapt and add fuel in mid-RPM areas)
- no probably would not cause a problem either, just be less gain than if you get the tune upgraded
- don't know about VF but most kit / tune mfrs for any given platform have a pre-configured tune for upgraded exhaust plumbing.. aka "Stage 1 = OEM exhaust, Stage 2 = headers & exhaust"

It's too bad putting headers on these cars is such a hassle... esp given the OEM header leaves something to be desired... I kinda lust for the upgrade but have decided I wouldn't do it myself and I don't lust for the bill that would come with the install...
2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (hers)
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Some Stuff FS
Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Boosted

Some kid i was talking to at a shop one day while he was getting his car tuned (Lexus GS 430 with a supra motor swap) told me tunes are not permanent or something. That he has to get one in summer than in winter cause of the season change (weather and temperature) or something ? Is this true, cause im not looking to get my car tuned Now than in summer it Blows up or something cause i need to have the whole thing retuned..That tuning Sh*t aint cheap ya know ... So basically im asking if i get my car custom tuned is that it, am i done?! Like am i good to go for life now ? All year around ? lol

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Quote:
Some kid i was talking to at a shop one day while he was getting his car tuned (Lexus GS 430 with a supra motor swap) told me tunes are not permanent or something. That he has to get one in summer than in winter cause of the season change (weather and temperature) or something ? Is this true, cause im not looking to get my car tuned Now than in summer it Blows up or something cause i need to have the whole thing retuned..That tuning Sh*t aint cheap ya know ... So basically im asking if i get my car custom tuned is that it, am i done?! Like am i good to go for life now ? All year around ? lol
Yeah. Sounds like just the kind of thing a ricetard would say.

On an old school motor the issue would be that you could tune hotter for winter air density and temps but would have to be more careful about detonation and exhaust temps in summer when the air is hot and thin.

Anything from 90's on will have IAT (intake air temp) and engine operating temp and MAF (mass air flow) sensor and ambient atmospheric and/or manifold air pressure (MAP) and then compensation constants and tables that ensure the car runs in all conditions as those things go up and down. A good tune and ECU/DME can totally handle all that for you.

Shizzy tuners only know the main fueling / timing tables and don't know the more sophisticated and nuanced stuff which is where you'll hear about guys getting great peak dyno numbers but then when the weather changed or he started driving it on the street the car wouldn't idle right or wouldn't make power or threw CEL's etc.

Only reasons I can think you might "need a seasonal" tune would be:
  • If the tuner didn't KNOW how to or didn't bother to tune the temp or barometric compensation properly for either a speed-density or mass-air type system
  • Running speed-density but the ECU doesn't HAVE an atmospheric pressure sensor or MAP to tell it if barometric is up/down.
  • If the car is running speed-density or alpha-N system pushed to limit so that seasonal barometric changes knock it out of range of trim

Assuming your tune would still be on OEM DME then it will be totally fine. It's a MAF based system with IAT sensor. If the tuner really does crazy stuff and sets you up speed-density with the OEM DME then you might have an issue since it doesn't seem to have an ambient or MAP pressure sensor but that's highly unlikely.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/BMW-All...EngineDME52M62

Oh and BTW even if the ric3rs tune did need seasonal changes, he's chosen poorly if he doesn't have a setup these days where he can reflash the tune back and forth himself a la shark injector / etc. etc. style - SO many tuners now use tools where you can flip yourself back and forth from stock to tune and more and more allow you to buy a second tune so you can have street-tune and track-tune for instance and this would be just the same... shouldn't be a big deal even if you have to do it...

Some Stuff FS
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Yeah. Sounds like just the kind of thing a ricetard would say.

On an old school motor the issue would be that you could tune hotter for winter air density and temps but would have to be more careful about detonation and exhaust temps in summer when the air is hot and thin.

Anything from 90's on will have IAT (intake air temp) and engine operating temp and MAF (mass air flow) sensor and ambient atmospheric and/or manifold air pressure (MAP) and then compensation constants and tables that ensure the car runs in all conditions as those things go up and down. A good tune and ECU/DME can totally handle all that for you.

Shizzy tuners only know the main fueling / timing tables and don't know the more sophisticated and nuanced stuff which is where you'll hear about guys getting great peak dyno numbers but then when the weather changed or he started driving it on the street the car wouldn't idle right or wouldn't make power or threw CEL's etc.

Only reasons I can think you might "need a seasonal" tune would be:
  • If the tuner didn't KNOW how to or didn't bother to tune the temp or barometric compensation properly for either a speed-density or mass-air type system
  • Running speed-density but the ECU doesn't HAVE an atmospheric pressure sensor or MAP to tell it if barometric is up/down.
  • If the car is running speed-density or alpha-N system pushed to limit so that seasonal barometric changes knock it out of range of trim

Assuming your tune would still be on OEM DME then it will be totally fine. It's a MAF based system with IAT sensor. If the tuner really does crazy stuff and sets you up speed-density with the OEM DME then you might have an issue since it doesn't seem to have an ambient or MAP pressure sensor but that's highly unlikely.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/BMW-All...EngineDME52M62

Oh and BTW even if the ric3rs tune did need seasonal changes, he's chosen poorly if he doesn't have a setup these days where he can reflash the tune back and forth himself a la shark injector / etc. etc. style - SO many tuners now use tools where you can flip yourself back and forth from stock to tune and more and more allow you to buy a second tune so you can have street-tune and track-tune for instance and this would be just the same... shouldn't be a big deal even if you have to do it...

ok thanks youve been great help Anyone happen to know how many hours a Headers install for a 540 is ?

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Quote:
ok thanks youve been great help Anyone happen to know how many hours a Headers install for a 540 is ?
Ask Bricas he's done it himself, his old threads might even say...

Some Stuff FS
Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Ask Bricas he's done it himself, his old threads might even say...
Yea i got answers on the M5board. Figure it should be from 5-7 Hours with a shop that knows wtf there doing, so that's not bad. But Where the F*ck is briscas? lol He aint checked in ina awhile..

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Quote:
Yea i got answers on the M5board. Figure it should be from 5-7 Hours with a shop that knows wtf there doing, so that's not bad. But Where the F*ck is briscas? lol He aint checked in ina awhile..
He might be international traveling... He's local to me but we keep missing the chance to connect since we both travel a lot for work outside country. He was going to australia for long trips IIRC. We even use same mechanic (I saw his 540 being tuned w the new piggy back system few months ago but he wasn't in the shop at the time).

Some Stuff FS
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 540i6, '94 325is
Hey guys from down under! No 540 here unfortunately had to put her in storage. I will be here for a the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the comments the build took forever but she is a dream! I did install the headers and they are a PITA to do took me like 12-15 hours the first time. It is much easier to pull the motor. 5-7 sounds far too optimistic to me. They are an incredible addition though! I can not say about the tune but I am sure it would be fine... I would add an AFR when you do it just to be on the safe side. My tune was fully custom and like said I had a piggy back module to make live tuning possible... We also had sooooo much trouble with the MAF remapping.

A good tune should be able to compensate at any temp!! That is the point of the sensors and fuel injection!

2001 540i - Orient Blue

M5 bumpers, wheels, mirrors
S/C, water/air IC
A1 Headers, Random Technology Cats, Eissenmann Exhaust
3.15 diff, evosport power pullies
Koni Sports, Eibach Springs/Sway Bars
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 AM

A custom tune would be better than an "off the shelf" tune for sure with or without headers but it should be ok.

2001 540i - Orient Blue

S/C, water/air IC
Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay88 View Post
Really nice thread. I really enjoyed reading it. So many other threads are about guys complaining about their cars or the typical E39 issues. I'm on vacation this week and this thread makes me think I should really take my SC off the shelf and install it.....but it will be going on my Mustang. My E39 is my DD and I want to keep it that way.
my e39 was my DD as well!

2001 540i - Orient Blue

S/C, water/air IC
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricas45 View Post
my e39 was my DD as well!
Same here. My e39 was and still is my DD!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flug540 View Post
Same here. My e39 was and still is my DD!
Alex, how is your car going?

2001 540i - Orient Blue

S/C, water/air IC
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricas45 View Post
Alex, how is your car going?
Ohh Brian, I looooove my car For the most part it just makes me smile every time I drive it. There are still some issues though that I'm trying to resolve. In parallel working on a little project of mine to replace my AEM gauges with a touch panel controlled by a device that will do several other things aside from controlling the gauges.

How are things down under?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flug540 View Post
Ohh Brian, I looooove my car For the most part it just makes me smile every time I drive it. There are still some issues though that I'm trying to resolve. In parallel working on a little project of mine to replace my AEM gauges with a touch panel controlled by a device that will do several other things aside from controlling the gauges.

How are things down under?
Sounds like a good project! It was sad to put her into storage. Australia is great so incredibly hot here it hit 45C Friday! So hot they had to come up with a new color for the scale... For temps over 50C!!

2001 540i - Orient Blue

S/C, water/air IC