Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 08 x3(gone) 03 Z4
Purchase help 1999 2.3 auto

I have identified a 1999 Z3 2.3 auto trans as a potential addition to the garage. Here's the details: 29,000 miles, garage kept, seasonally driven, one owner, drives great, traded in on a new luxury sedan by the owner. Now in the hands of a high end luxury dealership.

Asking price under 14K. On a whim, (I own a 03 z4) I test drove it and it had the "loose" seat issue on both seats. The dealer called the BMW dealer and was told; $2000 to fix. I know I can have it fixed for about $500. Now they are down to under $12000 for the car. I offered $9000 and I would give them a liability waiver on the seats. I don't believe they will sell to the public because of the seat issue, so I believe they will go lower, but I'd like a little ammo from you guys.

It has new tires put on by the dealer before the seat issue came up.

If you had a 1999 Z3 that drives great, dropped in your lap without any service records, what preventive maintenance would you do immediately to properly freshen a beautiful Z that just hasn't been used much? Also if you could ball park what the dealer might charge. I will then use this when I recontact the dealership. BTW, the finish on the car, top, wheels, interior is 9+.

Auto trans service,?
radiator flush,?
differential fluid change, ?

What else????

Thanks guys.
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Seat bushings are a hour or so and $10 or so in parts.

At 29,000, without records, I would probably just have an Inspection 2 done. Plus the trans fluid, diff fluid, brake fluid, and coolant changed. BMW will tell you the trans and diff fluid are lifetime. I prefer to change them on a regular basis.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Yoda with a library card

Mein Auto: 1999 M Coupe
The loose seat is permanently fixed and can be modified for 1 hour of your time and made more comfortable to sit in with the seat tilt modific for $45. The bad seat bushings are a problem on every Z3 and nothing to worry about. The. Fix can be bought here.

http://bimmerdiffs.myshopify.com/col...mod-fix-kit-z3

The seat bushings alone is here.

http://bimmerdiffs.myshopify.com/col...bushing-kit-z3

As for the price, I think you are closer with the 9 thousand than the 12 but if they do the inspection II, you would do just fine at 10,500. The low miles are a huge plus but the automatic transmission brings the value of the car down a bit. IIRC, it is a 4 speed, not the 5 speed that came out a little later.
1995 318i spray paint red, 170,000 miles and climbing
Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
An ispection II can cost over a $1000.00 at a dealership. Just some more ammo.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCameron View Post
I have identified a 1999 Z3 2.3 auto trans as a potential addition... 29,000 miles, garage kept, seasonally driven, one owner, drives great, traded in on a new luxury sedan by the owner. Now in the hands of a high end luxury dealership.
Asking price under 14K.... had the "loose" seat issue on both seats. The dealer called the BMW dealer and was told; $2000 to fix. I know I can have it fixed for about $500. Now they are down to under $12000 for the car. I offered $9000... If you had a 1999 Z3 that drives great, dropped in your lap without any service records, what preventive maintenance would you do immediately to properly freshen a beautiful Z that just hasn't been used much? Also if you could ball park what the dealer might charge...
I just had a near identical experience. A 1997 Z3 1.9 traded into a luxe multi-dealer complex. It had 32,000 miles and a clean CarFax. The first owner leased it in Mobile AL for the usual 3 years, and the second owner bought it when he was 80 years old. I tracked ownership on Internet. The car has no signs of age at all. Dealer was firm on $11,000. No maintenance records.

I did buy the car. And used this forum. My seats were not loose, but those are easily owner-fixed with parts mentioned here for about $30. I ordered a new rear window which I will zipper in. If the clutch had been stiff, I would have gotten the $20 pedal bushing kit.

I had the BMW dealer in the complex price and change the engine oil, coolant and brake fluid. Very high but I agreed. The dealer also wanted about $150 each to change the clutch, trans and diff fluids, which I declined.

In this forum I learned that Royal Purple SyncroMax and Red Line Synth 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil were good. I had my independent shop change those clutch, trans and diff fluids, for about $50 labor each with me providing the trans and diff fluids.

If it had been summer, and if I had bought the ramps and jackstands to get this very low car up off the ground, I could have done most of this. And saved a lot of money.

What you need to do:
Get a CarFax. A good dealer and one that has confidence in the car will give you one. The dealer for the first Z3 I looked at gave me a CarFax substitute wannabe, so I paid for my own CarFax which showed a serious accident ten years ago.
Change the oil and filter to zero out the onboard display, BMW says 15W-40 synthetic, hard to find unless theirs, could use 10W-40 Mobil 1.
Change the coolant, BMW's is not expensive, but bleeding air might be tricky.
Change the brake fluid, not so easy by oneself. My wife swore off of this 30 years ago.
Change the trans fluid, but I don't know what's best for auto trans.
If a convertible with any rear window problems, replace it before leaks get water into the car. Pristine old garage queens that are left out in the rain on used car lots can suddenly have wet floors, seats, and trunks.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
15W-40 synthetic?? Most 90s BMWs were originally speced for conventional oil. When they went synthetic, they used 5W-30, pretty much across the board. And changing the oil does not 0 the indicator, you have to do that yourself. A quick search will find the two pins in the connector under the hood to short together.

I am not a big fan of RedLine fluids. I use BMW tranny fluid in the tranny and Mobil 1 in the diff. One serious autocrosser found that his diff temp went down 20 degrees just be switching from RedLine to Mobil 1. In the tranny, RedLine comes out very watery and discolored after not too many miles. I have heard very good things about Royal Purple tranny flid.

Brake fluid is not hard for one person. Once you realize that gravity bleeding works GREAT. Remove old fluid from reservoir, fill with fresh fluid. Start with right rear caliper, attach tube and open bleeder. Walk around, pump pedal a couple of times to flush. The just let the car sit for 10 minutes of so. The fluid will gravity bleed. Close bleeder, go to left rear. Then right front, then left front. I find I get a firmer pedal with gravity bleeding versus any other method.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
... changing the oil does not 0 the indicator, you have to do that yourself. A quick search will find the two pins in the connector under the hood to short together...
I knew you had to reset the indicator by grounding the 7 pin. Dealer did my oil change. I just meant whoever did it, all the fluids should be changed which would set the car (and the indicator) to a new and known maintenance schedule. JimCameron said he had no maintenance records on his car, and I was in the same situation.

Last edited by vintage42; 11-12-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCameron View Post
I have identified a 1999 Z3 2.3 auto trans as a potential addition to the garage. Here's the details: 29,000 miles, garage kept, seasonally driven, one owner, drives great, traded in on a new luxury sedan by the owner. Now in the hands of a high end luxury dealership.

Asking price under 14K. On a whim, (I own a 03 z4) I test drove it and it had the "loose" seat issue on both seats. The dealer called the BMW dealer and was told; $2000 to fix. I know I can have it fixed for about $500. Now they are down to under $12000 for the car. I offered $9000 and I would give them a liability waiver on the seats. I don't believe they will sell to the public because of the seat issue, so I believe they will go lower, but I'd like a little ammo from you guys.

It has new tires put on by the dealer before the seat issue came up.

If you had a 1999 Z3 that drives great, dropped in your lap without any service records, what preventive maintenance would you do immediately to properly freshen a beautiful Z that just hasn't been used much? Also if you could ball park what the dealer might charge. I will then use this when I recontact the dealership. BTW, the finish on the car, top, wheels, interior is 9+.

Auto trans service,?
radiator flush,?
differential fluid change, ?

What else????

Thanks guys.
Jim, consider going to another site (no disrespect to this site) for a list of items you will probably encounter with the Z3. The site name is Bimmerforum.com When you get to the Z3 page, look for THREAD STARTER on the upper left side of the page. Under that is a menu entited "parked". There is a thread entitled "Z3 purchase advice". There you will find a very thorough list of items regarding repair/maintenance for your car. Good Luck with your new toy.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Also available on bimmerfest - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...urchase+advice
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcintyre View Post
Did not realize that thread was also on this site. Thanks Doug!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
Hey Pinecone, Thank's for the tip on gravity bleeding. I am gonna give it a try on my Z4.