Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe
2007 M Coupe "Halo" Light - Bulb Replacement

I am feeling dumb asking how to change a lightbulb, but as usual the owner's manual is useless, and I tried a seach here with limited success.

My driver's side "halo" light is out. I am sure there is a better term--the bulb that lights the circumference of the inside light nacel next to the headlight. The biggest downside is that I have to look at an orange bulb out warning on the dash, and I won't be warned if an imprtant bulb goes out.

My understanding is the that inside nacel has no headlight in it--just the halo around it. I learned here how to access the bulbs from inside the fender well (go figure), but the fixture I see that seems to line up with that nacel is a hard plastic piece that seems to need four torx screws pulled out to get it apart, and seems to have an armored wire leading to it. Seems to be way to much for the little halo light.

Am I correct tht there is no real headlight in the inside nacel? If so, how do I replace the halo bulb--and, I guess, what is it really called.

Than ks.

Last edited by Patrick Gent; 10-28-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: trying to explain better
Ads by Google
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
You actually can't replace the light by itself without some mods to the housing the bulbs sits in. It is designed to be replaced as a unit. You can actually just replace the bulb if you use a dremel to cut some slits and allow the bulb nubs to come out.

This may help(someone said the assembly does not have to modified BTW so you could try it) : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417609

The one thing I have not seen is instructions to get the socket out(as you asked). I have never looked at mine. I ordered 20W bulbs to try but never installed them. I am glad as I just read they will melt the socket.

Last edited by chickdr; 10-28-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Thanks--interesting what we have to go through to try to simplify BMW engineering. I think I see the assembly vs. bulb issue (when I first read your post I thought they wanted me to replace the whole headlight assembly because of a burned out 10 wat bulb!). But, now that I see what the holder looks like in Ron's photos, I need to look under the fender again. Doesn't look anythng like what I saw there.

Anybody can tell me how to get the bulb assembly out of the car?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 AM

To the top--still need help.

I know what I am looking for. I went in through the wheel well, opened the liner, then opened the gasketed cover over the lights. I can just see the back of the halo light assembly past the main headlight, and I can reach my hand in there and grab it. Just can't figure how to get the durned thing out. Twist? Unclip one side, then the other? Dynamite?

Can anyone hep me?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0si
Bumped as I have the same issue with my 2007 3.0si on the right side and would prefer to do the work myself rather than fork over money to the dealership.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM

I have learned a little more..

so let me try to walk you through this from a purely amateur's point of view.

First, it is wayyyy easier to do this if you jack (and support) the car and remove the tire.

On the fender lining, there is a "door" that gives you access to the lights from behind. There are actually 2 such doors--this is the higher one. Use a quarter or the like to turn the two thumbscrews, I think 90 degrees, that are on the outside end of the door. It then comes out by pulling two tabs on the inside end out of their slots.

Behind the door, the lights are sealed in a compartment that has a rounded, non-regular shaped metal cover. The cover is held on by a spring wire bail that extends from the upper outside to lower inside, slidig over center on two notches on the back of the cover. Put a common screwdriver under the bail, lift it away from the cap and down at each notch, then it rotates down mostly below the cover.

Then you have to maneuver the cover out of place. Takes lots of tries, but again much easier if the tire is gone. Pay attention to how you twisted it to get it out--you have to put it back.

Once the cover is off, the main thing in there is the headlight. But inside of the headlight, maybe just slightly higher than center, and with the back of it maybe 2" closer to the front of the car than the headlight, is the black plastic holderfor the halo light.

This is what stymied me the first time. I could see it, I could snake my hand on to it, no way I could figure how to get it out. Finally, with the tire gone, I could see two small torx headed (maybe #15) screws, one either side of the black plastic holder. I removed them with great fear thay would drop and be lost, but looking at the bracket where it sits next to my computer, I saw that it has arrows suggesting it can be rotated to "open" and "close."

I guess that two "wings" that are part of the structure of the holder slide under one edge of the head of the screws--can't see it, but the wings must have a slight incline so they add pressure as you twist. I have no idea whether this all should work w/o ever touching the screws, but I would guess so.

Per the arrows on the holder, clockwise is close and counterclockwise is open.

It was too late and I was too impatient when I tried to drill out slots either side of the bulb to actually pull the bulb out of the holder and replace only the bulb.In retrospect, I can see that the idea should be to destroy the bulb, breaking the glass and twisting the base to fold it in on itself to pull it out. With the bulb out of the holder, it is very obvious where you need to grind or file notches on the holder to put in a new bulb. The holder has the classic slot to push the bulb down, then twist slightly into place. Just has no place to slide the two little lugs past the plastic opening at the top.

Hope this helps. Call if you want to talk. 954-249-3246
Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain the procedure. Nobody has done this before and I am sure this will be invaluable as many more halo bulbs will be going out over the next couple of years. I just wish we could put LED bulbs in without a light out warning coming on.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Does this picture help at all? It's a Xenon headlight off of my 2008 when I had to replace it.

Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 02-01-2013, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0si
This is most helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this in a clear fashion. I don't know why this is so over-engineered that one can't simply pop the bulb out and replace it, but this gives a pretty good idea of how to get the job done.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 AM

This became such a frusrating project for me that, when I finally got the holder out, I just ordered two new assemblies (both burned out) on line when I couldn't easily get the bulb out. Looking at it now, wish I had been a little more patient as i could have ordered 2 $6.00 bulbs instead of 2 $32 assemblies.

By the way, the rear turn signal bulb is what they call a Phillips Silverline or silver-something. Idea is that, sitting in a polished unit with a clear lense, you don't see the orange color through the lense during the day but it lights up orange. I would guess originally invented for the rice-boys and their "clear corners." But a regualr orange bulb for that same application is $7.50/pair at Advanced Auto Parts, Silverline is $21.00/pair on line (plus shipping) or $34.00 each at the dealer. Another over-engineered deal!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Gent View Post
This became such a frusrating project for me that, when I finally got the holder out, I just ordered two new assemblies (both burned out) on line when I couldn't easily get the bulb out. Looking at it now, wish I had been a little more patient as i could have ordered 2 $6.00 bulbs instead of 2 $32 assemblies.

By the way, the rear turn signal bulb is what they call a Phillips Silverline or silver-something. Idea is that, sitting in a polished unit with a clear lense, you don't see the orange color through the lense during the day but it lights up orange. I would guess originally invented for the rice-boys and their "clear corners." But a regualr orange bulb for that same application is $7.50/pair at Advanced Auto Parts, Silverline is $21.00/pair on line (plus shipping) or $34.00 each at the dealer. Another over-engineered deal!
The rear turn signal bulbs are called "chrome amber". You don't have to buy the OEM parts. Ebay has nice 7507 chrome amber bulbs for $8/pair shipped.... Another name brand version is "Solaris".