Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Again OT but -- I was not really worried about the diesel itself in the Cruze -- but the add on urea system that is US market specific -- although I have heard that everyone else will have to get it soon as well. Problems with that system have been a source of some concern in the X5 diesel community here, although now that seems to have died down a bit.
I believe the diesel JGC will be a real winner and a great "bargain" to boot. However I don't see any "wiggle room" on price until at least the first year has passed and enough are built to satisfy the early demands. During that period I would expect to see the dreaded "ADP" sticker alongside the MSRP info.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Getting slightly off topic here, but the Grand Cherokee is great value and there's usually incentives (albeit not at initial release of the diesel) and wiggle room on the price. I drove an Overland V8 version in Sept and for $46k sticker, you're getting Active Cruise, High Beam assistant, sat nav, and tons of other nice toys that would cost thousands extra in a comparable ML or X5. Of course, it does depend on everyone's needs, but personally I drive a lot of hwy miles in rural areas and frequently wish I had ACC and High Beam Assistant on my X3 (actually, I wish I had more power too).

Not sure which diesel the Cruze will use, but there's been diesel Cruze powertrains in Europe since inception, so it may not necessarily be a "first year" drivetrain here in the US. I know it's likely my favourite compact car in the US; the Focus has a hatch model but the interior is awful and the manual gearbox only has 5 speeds. The Cruze 6MT is one of the easiest to drive, ever, and the interior is pretty logical (to me).
I had a Cruze as a rental car last week (not a diesel). It was the best Chevy product I've driven in a long time.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
I had a Cruze as a rental car last week (not a diesel). It was the best Chevy product I've driven in a long time.
Of course, that's because it was designed by the Daewoo division and engineered largely by Opel. Americans can't build small cars in the same way Germans can't do fine wine.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Of course, that's because it was designed by the Daewoo division and engineered largely by Opel. Americans can't build small cars in the same way Germans can't do fine wine.
No argument.

I've driven several Grand Cherokees, too. IMO, anyone considering an X5 should cross shop one. The appeal is a little different, sure, and a lot of people will stick with the X5. But what most people need to get out of their SUV, the Jeep delivers handily at a $15,000 to $20,000 discount.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 11-12-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
I was interested in the Jeep Cherokee until I saw this....

Pretty scary
Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukas161 View Post
I was interested in the Jeep Cherokee until I saw this....

Pretty scary
I had to do a very similar maneuver in my X3 one night coming home from Jacksonville. I was headed south on a two lane road with a car coming in the northbound lane when a car came all the way into my lane from a road on the right and stopped. I had no time to brake so all I could do is swerve left around him and back into my lane before I and the the north bound car crashed head on. My X3 handled it beautifully.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Wow! Good stuff -- I like the way the T-egg and the XC90 handled that. Much better than the Jeep! Thanks -- Jeep had better get their act together or they are SOOL!

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-15-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
I'm keeping an eye on my wallet, but 2005 X3 with 165,000 miles on original struts and control arms.

Mostly maintenance costs (brakes, oil changes, filters etc)

Did have a gasket seal replaced due to leaking oil and learned the hard way about mechanical tensioners, cracked expansion tanks, water pumps, etc.

Overall, I can't complain overly much really. I'll push this to 200,000 miles easy with the rate this is going.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Actually, I did come across that when researching the Grand Cherokee. However, my biggest concern was the crash test results- it only had a 4 Star rating under the Euro NCAP tests and they noted that one of the seat rails nearly snapped from the force of the collision. Still, like I said.........driven under normal circumstances, it's just fine. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, accident avoidance isn't a huge thing in SC because there's no room to "avoid" something. The interstates are so poorly designed, so if you swerve, you're either going to crash into the concrete barrier (only 6' left shoulder in urban areas, which is nothing when you're travelling 75mph), or you're gonna plow into a tree (once again, no shoulder or run-off room). Low-profile tires found in European cars are problematic because of how much crap is left strewn all over the turn and travel lanes- you'll be getting a lot of punctures. And given that the pavement is so bad that grass shows between the cracks, a plush ride is preferred. Hell, there's shrubbery growing on the left shoulder on I-85 between Spartanburg and Greenville.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 11-15-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Getting slightly off topic here, but the Grand Cherokee is great value and there's usually incentives (albeit not at initial release of the diesel) and wiggle room on the price. I drove an Overland V8 version in Sept and for $46k sticker, you're getting Active Cruise, High Beam assistant, sat nav, and tons of other nice toys that would cost thousands extra in a comparable ML or X5. Of course, it does depend on everyone's needs, but personally I drive a lot of hwy miles in rural areas and frequently wish I had ACC and High Beam Assistant on my X3 (actually, I wish I had more power too).

Not sure which diesel the Cruze will use, but there's been diesel Cruze powertrains in Europe since inception, so it may not necessarily be a "first year" drivetrain here in the US. I know it's likely my favourite compact car in the US; the Focus has a hatch model but the interior is awful and the manual gearbox only has 5 speeds. The Cruze 6MT is one of the easiest to drive, ever, and the interior is pretty logical (to me).
Sorry Azn, but you couldnt pay me to buy another JGC. Especially a first year run, no matter what power plant they use. I owned a JGC 2005 for all of about 9 months before dumping it at a loss (then jumped out of the pan into the fire with the AT 07 X3, Lol).

I am sure that after that POS (05 JGC) they have taken some major strides to make changes, but no more first year runs for me. It had no power at all and guzzled gas 12mpg average. So no benefits whatsoever. Shoot even the fabric stained from a simple summer shower. My old 2000 JC was a tank.

Also the video....that is about how my 05 GJC handled. I almost rolled it one night while following my brother at posted speeds around a turn (35 mph). Traded it in 10 days later.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 11-17-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
BMW Rookie

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 28i
Anyone else notice a correlation of JEEP ==> BMW Owners?

-=My Garage=-
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 28i, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather pkg, and Tech Pkg
2006 BMW X3 3.0i, Premium Pkg, Xenons, Cold weather pkg, Nav - RETIRED
2006 BMW X3 3.0i, Cold weather pkg, Nav
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Lauren Thatcher Ulrich