Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Brake wear information - WHERE is it?

Sorry for a dumb question, but where do you guys check for brake wear information? I see noting in my system. Looked where the oil level and flat monitor info sits and nothing about brakes whatsoever.
Ads by Google
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
It's in that same vehicle status menu, there's something about service required. Don't remember off the top of my head....

Lists inspections, front brakes, rear brakes, brake fluid, overall vehicle check.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-12-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It's in that same vehicle status menu, there's something about service required. Don't remember off the top of my head....

Lists inspections, front brakes, rear brakes, brake fluid, overall vehicle check.
Yes, it's in the list of service items, separate for front and rear brakes. However, I think that is just the recommended interval, I don't think there is any active monitoring of the actual pads, certainly not the rotors. The car (like all others) is equipped with pad "wear indicators" that will emit loud screeching sounds (while NOT braking) when the pads are reaching end of life. Most likely, your dealer will have checked the pad wear long before that occurs during an oil change or other matinenance visit. Oh, I've owned 3 BMW's, and have never changed a brake pad (or tire, for that matter). The "oldest" of my previous BMW's had about 46K miles and the pads still had plenty of wear left.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 11-12-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Yes, it's in the list of service items, separate for front and rear brakes. However, I think that is just the recommended interval, I don't think there is any active monitoring of the actual pads, certainly not the rotors. The car (like all others) is equipped with pad "wear indicators" that will emit loud screeching sounds (while NOT braking) when the pads are reaching end of life. Most likely, your dealer will have checked the pad wear long before that occurs during an oil change or other matinenance visit. Oh, I've owned 3 BMW's, and have never changed a brake pad (or tire, for that matter). The "oldest" of my previous BMW's had about 46K miles and the pads still had plenty of wear left.
There's no monitoring, you are correct. It's based on an algorithm. It does change. My car has needed rear brakes in "2,500 miles" for about 15k now. LOL.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM

OK, so perhaps the reason I cannot find that stupid thing is because it's useless to begin with. Thanks guys. Case closed.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
OK, so perhaps the reason I cannot find that stupid thing is because it's useless to begin with. Thanks guys. Case closed.
I don't know if it's useless, but like we said, it is in the list of other service items shown on your iDrive. Go to "Settings", "Vehicle Status". Scroll down to the vehicle icon, under the oil check icon and you will see the list of service items with current mileage/time indicators.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
The wear sensors are wired in and the car will tell you when it needs new pads. The mileage on the idrive is often very inaccurate
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM

OK, I've found it... after a 1.5 yrs of ownership... It was a bit cumbersome getting to it. I had to choose Service Required, which is a weird name in itself (it suggests a service is required). And then the values in kms showed on a right hand side... I almost missed them again. Not the greatest and most intuitive design if you ask me, but on the positive side, after 26000 kms, my brake pads seem to be good for another 29000 which is nice considering my driving style...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
I have lost faith in the sensors. After the initial 300km my rear sensor said 30,000km I went to the dealer and they reset them to 50,000km. Within 1,000km they then read 30,000km again. Now at 4,000km the sensors read 18,000km. The rears are wearing much faster than the fronts which is a first for me in any car I have owned. I guess time will tell.
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
I have lost faith in the sensors. After the initial 300km my rear sensor said 30,000km I went to the dealer and they reset them to 50,000km. Within 1,000km they then read 30,000km again. Now at 4,000km the sensors read 18,000km. The rears are wearing much faster than the fronts which is a first for me in any car I have owned. I guess time will tell.
Its not the sensors that do that. The sensors only alert you when the wear gets to the point of needing new pads period. The idrive mileage estimate is just that and as I said before often inaccurate
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
OK, I've found it... after a 1.5 yrs of ownership... It was a bit cumbersome getting to it. I had to choose Service Required, which is a weird name in itself (it suggests a service is required). And then the values in kms showed on a right hand side... I almost missed them again. Not the greatest and most intuitive design if you ask me, but on the positive side, after 26000 kms, my brake pads seem to be good for another 29000 which is nice considering my driving style...
It's a list of service items required, and approximately when they're coming due. What should it be called?