Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Totaled - I was nice while it lasted

Apparently, contacting a deer at 60 mph is not a good idea. Insurance is totaling it.
Thanks to everyone on this board who's helped out with my questions over the years.

Now, what to buy . . . ? Probably a 1er.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sad.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	349013  
Ads by Google
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Sorry to hear. Deer are so numerous around my part that it's a matter of when.

Where in NJ are you?

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 11-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 1M, MINI Countryman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
Apparently, contacting a deer at 60 mph is not a good idea. Insurance is totaling it.
Thanks to everyone on this board who's helped out with my questions over the years.

Sorry for your loss.
I was devastated when it happened to my E46 coupe.
The closest replacement in terms of size, design and performance is 1 series coupe.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:

Is that front corner all?
Looks nasty, but could be fixed... not sure if reasonable money wise, but possible.

Or if you were closer, yours would be perfect donor for upgrading mine.
Both 2000 so probably engine swap would be quite easy.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
The answer of what to buy is easy - a newer E46.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Sorry to hear this, Bean. Got the same problem in Hunterdon, where the deer seem to outnumber humans by about ten-to-one. Never could figure that one out....for animals that are SO smart in the woods, they don`t know a damned thing about traffic....

Caught this young buck checking out the contents of my shed....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sept. 27, 2011 042.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	349048  

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM

I'm in Hunterdon too. Caught the gal on Cherryville Rd. between Flemington and Clinton by the radio towers. They roam the streets like they own them.
On the plus, put a down payment on a CPO 128i today!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Ouch sorry to hear your loss.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Did you give any thought to buying the car from the insurance company and repairing it? Damage looks virtually all cosmetic.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to JJ3699
Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:
I'm in Hunterdon too. Caught the gal on Cherryville Rd. between Flemington and Clinton by the radio towers. They roam the streets like they own them.
Sorry to hear about your E46, but it is great that you are able to move into a 128i.
Post some pictures and tell us about it when you get sometime

.................BMW 4 LIFE.....................
Old 11-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Did you give any thought to buying the car from the insurance company and repairing it? Damage looks virtually all cosmetic.
The car is going to need an apron and an upper structure section. Easy fix, one day job.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 11-11-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ3699 View Post
Sorry to hear about your E46, but it is great that you are able to move into a 128i.
Post some pictures and tell us about it when you get sometime
I put a deposit on this. Just waiting for the insurance to cut me check for the remainder of the down payment.
'09 128i, 6-speed, 16K miles, CPO w/100K warranty. Only options are sport package, heated seats and sunroof.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0836.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	349135  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
I just went through the same situation with my daughter and her 330xi, it really pissed me off that they totaled the car at 60% of the value.
Her damage was like yours, front bumper, grill, headlight, quarter panel, hood & upper rail. No engine damage, no air bags deployed.
$10k damage. I really wanted to fix it, but the risk of extra damage after they opened it up would have been on me, along with a salvage title= not worth it !

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
I put a deposit on this. Just waiting for the insurance to cut me check for the remainder of the down payment.
'09 128i, 6-speed, 16K miles, CPO w/100K warranty. Only options are sport package, heated seats and sunroof.
Did you buy it from Steve Kalifer and Byron Brisbee ? (those RICH mofos )

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-11-2012, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 98 540iA Sport
Congrats on the new ride! My wife and I nearly smacked a couple 200 pound rats ourselves last night on the way to a double date. Thankful for those massive floodlight-like high beams!

The 1 series looks like a heck of a car... I'm thinking of it as a possible DD.

Please forgive any grammatical errors, sent from mobile
Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Did you buy it from Steve Kalifer and Byron Brisbee ? (those RICH mofos )
HEEEEELLLL no!

Actually, I was classmates with Byron Jr. who now is GM of the Flemington BMW stealership. Long story short, I will never step foot in that place again.

Oddly enough, It's almost impossible to find a 1er with a manual and sport package. I had to travel a good distance to get the car I wanted.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
HEEEEELLLL no!

Actually, I was classmates with Byron Jr. who now is GM of the Flemington BMW stealership. Long story short, I will never step foot in that place again.

Oddly enough, It's almost impossible to find a 1er with a manual and sport package. I had to travel a good distance to get the car I wanted.
Do you know if Reedman (Langhorne, Pa.) sells BMWs ? Many moons ago, that was a great place to buy a car....they even had their own test track out back !

Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
The car is going to need an apron and an upper structure section. Easy fix, one day job.
You are probably correct. But the car will now have a salvage title, which would scare me away. The car will be difficult to sell or insure.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: e46
Quote:
Do you know if Reedman (Langhorne, Pa.) sells BMWs ? Many moons ago, that was a great place to buy a car....they even had their own test track out back !
Reedman does not have a BMW dealer, but their used lot has one from time to time. I took a ZHP for a spin on their test track before purchasing my e46.

What's up with Flemington? I leased my e90 from them a few years back and had a good experience. Incidentally, shortly after I got that car I had a run-in with a deer. Mama and papa deer crossed the road in front of me and I think the show's over. As I start to pull away Bambi comes trucking out of the woods and clocks my fender/passenger door.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr15 View Post
Reedman does not have a BMW dealer, but their used lot has one from time to time. I took a ZHP for a spin on their test track before purchasing my e46.

What's up with Flemington? I leased my e90 from them a few years back and had a good experience. Incidentally, shortly after I got that car I had a run-in with a deer. Mama and papa deer crossed the road in front of me and I think the show's over. As I start to pull away Bambi comes trucking out of the woods and clocks my fender/passenger door.
Anecdotally, I've heard their sales department is very good (never bought a car there personally). However, their service department is a different story. They will take care of you without question if your car is still covered under the factory maintenance, but God help you if the repair bill is coming out of your own pocket (or possibly could).

They almost sent me over the edge trying to get my subframe repaired. And a very good friend of mine went off them recently saying that they were "holding him hostage" because they would honor a warranty repair (the steering wheel was starting to shed its outer layer) if and only if he agreed to buy a set of tires from them.

As far as I'm concerned, they can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Last edited by mr_bean; 11-12-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:12 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Dang swamp donkeys!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Quote:
A little off topic, but... my mother grew up on a dairy farm in Hunterdon (or very near there) - probably a little different there now. My grandmother lived in Clinton for a long time after selling the farm.

Sorry for the thread hijack! And sorry to hear about your car, but glad you're ok and you're able to get a sweet replacement it looks like...
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: e46
Quote:
Anecdotally, I've heard their sales department is very good (never bought a car there personally). However, their service department is a different story. They will take care of you without question if your car is still covered under the factory maintenance, but God help you if the repair bill is coming out of your own pocket (or possibly could).

They almost sent me over the edge trying to get my subframe repaired. And a very good friend of mine went off them recently saying that they were "holding him hostage" because they would honor a warranty repair (the steering wheel was starting to shed its outer layer) if and only if he agreed to buy a set of tires from them.

As far as I'm concerned, they can stick it where the sun don't shine.
Sorry that happened to you and your friend, but good to know. I had a great sales experience and the service didn't blow me away, but was fine. I also never needed anything other than 3/36k maintenance and wheel/tire insurance claims, so it was hard for anything to go wrong on the service side. Haven't been back since I turned the lease in.

Anyway, congrats on the new ride. I'm interested to hear your comments about the e82compared to the e46, and whether you cross-shopped anything else.