Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
10 days to get from Munich to Vienna in May

OK, so I feel like the Slovenia route is pretty mapped out, I want to ask the forum's advice on a MUC->Vienna route.

The plan at the moment is take the Alpenstrasse from Munich to Berchtesgaden, then see Salzburg and things.

Then I have two options from this site: http://www.romantikstrasse.at/en/routen.html

Option 1: Hallstatt, Bad Aussee, Stift Admont Monastery, Mariazell and Schallaburg Castle to Vienna.
Option 2: Bad Ischl, Gmunden, Almtal, Kremsmünster, Steyr to Vienna.

With either option, I miss Grossglockner.

So - what do I do? Is it reasonable to somehow squeeze Grossglockner into this? Is it worth it? Because if I do take the Grossglockner, I end up really down Southern Austria. And those towns (Klagenfurt/Graz) look ok I guess but I'd be missing the classic Austria up top.

Any advice?
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 AM
I need more coffee!

Mein Auto: 135i E82, 535i F10
I would really try to hit the Grossglockner if at all possible, it's really beautiful. The far left pic in my sig (2007 335i sedan) was taken on the Grossglockner. You could conceivably do it as a day-trip from Salzburg, driving both directions and returning to Salzburg. On our trip we left Salzburg early in the morning, drove the Grossglockner, went on to Cortina (IT), then back up to Reutte (near Fussen, Neuschwanstein, etc.), arriving at our hotel around 9pm. Long driving day but one of the most scenic days I've had on all of our trips. Hope this helps.

ED July 7, 2010 Hers 535i Cashmere / Oyster/Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCV, ZCW, 6FL

ED June 12, 2009 His 135i E82, AW/Coral, M-Sport, ZPP, manual (of course)

ED June 11, 2008 Hers 535i E60

ED July 23, 2007 His 335i E90
Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: MB CLK
I would leave out Gmunden, not particularly attractive and recommend one night Zell am See (close to the Grossglockner), and the 2nd in Hallstatt. In between, weather permitting (it could be closed), you could do the Grossglockner.

Winter Tire Rentals Munich, Germany
Vacation Property Rentals
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
I like John Lance's suggestion but I'd also be remiss if I didn't suggest going through Niederösterreich and in particular the Wachau and Dürnstein en route to Vienna (I can´t remember, however, if you might already have visited there on a previous E.D. so...)

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
I like John Lance's suggestion but I'd also be remiss if I didn't suggest going through Niederösterreich and in particular the Wachau and Dürnstein en route to Vienna (I can´t remember, however, if you might already have visited there on a previous E.D. so...)
I haven't and following yours and many others' recommendations I'm keen on visiting Dürnstein.

OK. So, should I just autobahn it from MUC to Salzburg and forget Schliersee and all the other towns along the Deutsche Alpenstrasse?

They kind of looked pretty from google images...?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lance View Post
I would leave out Gmunden, not particularly attractive and recommend one night Zell am See (close to the Grossglockner), and the 2nd in Hallstatt. In between, weather permitting (it could be closed), you could do the Grossglockner.
Thanks, John.

Another problem, however is that it'll be very difficult to do Zell->GG->Hallstatt in 1 day.

That looks to be about a 7hr drive (I'm figuring about 3hrs for GG and 3 more hours to get to Hallstatt), plus 1hr cushion.

Any suggestions on how to break it up somehow??

Perhaps a stop at Weissensee?

Last edited by zoltrix; 11-25-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltrix View Post
I haven't and following yours and many others' recommendations I'm keen on visiting Dürnstein.

OK. So, should I just autobahn it from MUC to Salzburg and forget Schliersee and all the other towns along the Deutsche Alpenstrasse?

They kind of looked pretty from google images...?
That depends on how much time you have. The non-Autobahn roads near Salzburg and Berchtesgaden are great - in fact, the Alpenstraße is a favorite of mine.

Perhaps you might even want to stop for one night at the IC Berchtesgaden and live it up where Hermann Göring once did.

I´m serious about the IC Berchtesgaden, though. I´ve been there several times and beyond the views and food, just the fact that the good guys won and we can stay there now says a lot!

MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
That depends on how much time you have. The non-Autobahn roads near Salzburg and Berchtesgaden are great - in fact, the Alpenstraße is a favorite of mine.

Perhaps you might even want to stop for one night at the IC Berchtesgaden and live it up where Hermann Göring once did.

I´m serious about the IC Berchtesgaden, though. I´ve been there several times and beyond the views and food, just the fact that the good guys won and we can stay there now says a lot!
Herr Spira, did you honestly think I would forget your frequent accolades of the hotel in question? I'm disappoint.

Yes, that is indeed the plan; however. ANOTHER idea is to stay at Schloss Fuschl Resort & Spa - any feedback on this hotel? If we do the latter, then I think I'll explore Berchtesgaden on my way from Salzburg to Zell am See.

Then spend a night at Zell am See before heading out for GG.

Thoughts on these ideas?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Also, are there specific things along Alpenstraße you would classify as must see?

The current plan is just to simply follow 307 to 305 (Tegernsee, Schliersee, Weitsee, etc..) - would that be ok?
Old 11-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Herr Spira, did you honestly think I would forget your frequent accolades of the hotel in question? I'm disappointed.
Nein, nein, nein, of course not.

Quote:
Yes, that is indeed the plan; however. ANOTHER idea is to stay at Schloss Fuschl Resort & Spa - any feedback on this hotel? If we do the latter, then I think I'll explore Berchtesgaden on my way from Salzburg to Zell am See.

Then spend a night at Zell am See before heading out for GG.

Thoughts on these ideas?
Schloß Fuschl looks beautiful from the pictures but I´ve never been there. It is on the list of places I would like to stay, however.

Re the IC, however, the drive up to the IC is magnificent and its setting at 1000 m is unparalleled. Just writing my post earlier made me want to hop on a plane and go back.

MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Nein, nein, nein, of course not.

Schloß Fuschl looks beautiful from the pictures but I´ve never been there. It is on the list of places I would like to stay, however.
ok, thanks.

btw, the allusion was to this:

Quote:
Re the IC, however, the drive up to the IC is magnificent and its setting at 1000 m is unparalleled. Just writing my post earlier made me want to hop on a plane and go back.
Yes, really trying to squeeze it in. Although looks like it's close enough to Salzburg that I might just use the Schloss as my base of operations and swing by the IC on my way to Zell am See.

OK.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks, John.

Another problem, however is that it'll be very difficult to do Zell->GG->Hallstatt in 1 day.

That looks to be about a 7hr drive (I'm figuring about 3hrs for GG and 3 more hours to get to Hallstatt), plus 1hr cushion.

Any suggestions on how to break it up somehow??

Perhaps a stop at Weissensee?
Zell am See to Hallstatt is a 1 hr 45 min drive!
- and a few minutes less when you are driving it after doing the GG (ie from Bruck an der GG-Strasse) - it's all off-autobahn too through some beautiful scenery!

(route: Bruck an der Grossglocknerstrasse-Bischofshofen-Annaberg im Lammertal-Pass Gschuett-Hallstatt)

Schloss Fuschl is a great lakeside hotel (same journey-time as to Hallstatt, but driving via Salzburg) but there's nothing else in the immediate vicinity. Better to enjoy the unique experience of stopping over in Hallstatt - you'll never regret or forget that you did.

Last edited by john lance; 11-26-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Zell am See to Hallstatt is a 1 hr 45 min drive!
- and a few minutes less when you are driving it after doing the GG (ie from Bruck an der GG-Strasse) - it's all off-autobahn too through some beautiful scenery!

(route: Bruck an der Grossglocknerstrasse-Bischofshofen-Annaberg im Lammertal-Pass Gschuett-Hallstatt)
Ah, yes. The issue is that I'm going the other way - South from Zell am See. So, after GG I end up pretty far down south and then it's a 3.5hr drive from Zell to Hallstatt.

In other words, this is the route as it stands right now
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM

Oh, I see what you mean now, you are going down the other side (For some reason I was thinking you were just going to the Franz-Josef's Hohe and returning the same way).

In that case, a nice solution is to overnight up on the Grossglocknerstrasse itself. It's a true delight to stay in the very picturesque village of Heiligenblut (hotels: Glocknerhof or Post).

Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
We just drove some of the roads you have outlined here, so a couple thoughts...

1. We drove the Alpenstrasse from Salzburg to Fussen in one day and it was a fantastic drive.
2. The best driving of our 2,000 mile ED was Werfengweng to Hallstat via 166. If you like crazy mountain roads this one is for you. The 100 kph speed limit was way higher than I was willing to drive at some points.
3. We stayed in Salzburg for several days and mixed checking the town out with day trips. We did Zel Am See, Werfengweng and Hallstat in one leg. It was an awesome day of driving.
4. Munich to Vienna is only 5 hrs on the Autobahn. Rather than taking 10 days to go that distance, perhaps pick a couple key towns (Fussen, Salzburg or Berchtesgaden, etc), and plan day trips into the area.
5. Austria is tiny. If there is something you want to do in Southern Austria...do it. We drove Vienna to Salzburg via the A2/A10 to catch St. Martin, Veldem Am See, and Vaker See, and it was only a 10 hr day of driving including many backroads, stops, and lunch. If I was going to do that drive again, we would have stopped in the Veldem Am See area for the night, and hit Lake Bled.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore.

Last edited by AggieKnight; 12-02-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Oh, I see what you mean now, you are going down the other side (For some reason I was thinking you were just going to the Franz-Josef's Hohe and returning the same way).

In that case, a nice solution is to overnight up on the Grossglocknerstrasse itself. It's a true delight to stay in the very picturesque village of Heiligenblut (hotels: Glocknerhof or Post).
AH, interesting idea. So, I'm thinking leave Zell am See around 3pm or so and start the GG drive. Show up at Heiligenblut around 5-6pm, in time for check-in/dinner and then head out the following morning.

Thank you for the suggestion!!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
We just drove some of the roads you have outlined here, so a couple thoughts...

1. We drove the Alpenstrasse from Salzburg to Fussen in one day and it was a fantastic drive.
2. The best driving of our 2,000 mile ED was Werfengweng to Hallstat via 166. If you like crazy mountain roads this one is for you. The 100 kph speed limit was way higher than I was willing to drive at some points.
3. We stayed in Salzburg for several days and mixed checking the town out with day trips. We did Zel Am See, Werfengweng and Hallstat in one leg. It was an awesome day of driving.
4. Munich to Vienna is only 5 hrs on the Autobahn. Rather than taking 10 days to go that distance, perhaps pick a couple key towns (Fussen, Salzburg or Berchtesgaden, etc), and plan day trips into the area.
5. Austria is tiny. If there is something you want to do in Southern Austria...do it. We drove Vienna to Salzburg via the A2/A10 to catch St. Martin, Veldem Am See, and Vaker See, and it was only a 10 hr day of driving including many backroads, stops, and lunch. If I was going to do that drive again, we would have stopped in the Veldem Am See area for the night, and hit Lake Bled.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore.
thank you!

1. Been to Fussen before, so skipping it this time. But what are the most memorable cities along your Alpenstrasse drive, do you remember? I'll make sure to include those.
2. I'm coming up S -> N so I won't get as far as Werfengweng. 166 veers off towards Hallstat before so I wasn't thinking of going there directly. Do I need to?
3. Same plan
4. Agreed. We're doing Alpenstrasse from MUC to Salzburg in day 1 and then venturing out thereafter.
5. I googled all these stops, they do indeed look spectacular. My only issue is that I'm hoping to make my way up north to catch Durnstein and the Wachau valley, so I really need to be making my way up there.

If you saw my previous thread, I had a Lake Bled itinerary all planned out but ended up abandoning it. There weren't enough days to go that far down south, come back up north and not feel like we're just running all over Europe.

EDIT: How did you put your itinerary together? I'm thinking about buying this: http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-Austr...+driving+tours

Last edited by zoltrix; 12-02-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
1. Been to Fussen before, so skipping it this time. But what are the most memorable cities along your Alpenstrasse drive, do you remember? I'll make sure to include those.
I like Fussen (been there several times) because they have a number of great hotels and the castles are always great for picture posing. Of course, they likely have great hotels because of the castles...

Berchtesgaden was gorgeous, but at that point you are 20 minutes from Salzburg and Hotel Sacher is epic. There was also a town next to a lake somewhere that was really pretty (maybe Schliersee?). Sorry, can't rem.

Edit - Random Thought - Innsbrook isn't too far off the Alpenstrasse and is supposed to be gorgeous.

Quote:
4. Agreed. We're doing Alpenstrasse from MUC to Salzburg in day 1 and then venturing out thereafter.
I wouldn't recommend this (just my opinion). While still jetlagged, drive a full day on sometimes demanding alpine road? Sounds painful.
Quote:
2. I'm coming up S -> N so I won't get as far as Werfengweng. 166 veers off towards Hallstat before so I wasn't thinking of going there directly. Do I need to?
If you like crazy alpine roads, I'd recommend it. The route we took out of Hallstatt was pretty sedate (166 north out of Hallstat instead of West), but the drive from the Werferweng to Hallstatt was so amazing that it will be worked into my next ED, preferably early in the day after a few cups of coffee, not on the way to our last stop of the afternoon.
Quote:
5. I googled all these stops, they do indeed look spectacular. My only issue is that I'm hoping to make my way up north to catch Durnstein and the Wachau valley, so I really need to be making my way up there.
To my point, Google tells me that Veldam Worther See to Durnstein is only four hours of driving even avoiding Vienna (I didn't enjoy driving in Vienna).
http://*******/maps/152Bz
It is all so small you could pick a place in the West (Salzburg), a place in the south, and a place in the North, with several days at each stop then end in Vienna. Seriously just my thoughts, all I'm trying to helpfully get across is distances on the Autobahn in Austria are not great. You drive 80 mph on fantastic highway. Some of it is boring (Graz to Vienna), but you get where you are going pretty quick.

Quote:
EDIT: How did you put your itinerary together? I'm thinking about buying this: http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-Austr...+driving+tours
Lots and lots of research, google, and talking with people. I've been planning our ED (last two days as of this morning ) for more than a year. I didn't see that book, but wish I had.

Something that you may have not done yet is to go through this forum looking at trip reports that people post (not just what is current, look through the history). There are hundreds if not thousands of them. Read their comments and feedback, see what sticks out at you.

Good luck!

Last edited by AggieKnight; 12-03-2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Random Thought entry