Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
Retaping ED plate to front bumper on clearbra -- suggestions?

Just notified that I can pick my ED 335 M-Sport up today. If all went as discussed, the dealer kept my ED plates in the car while installing a clearbra on the front.

I'd really like to reattach my ED tag to the front. Anybody recommend a double-sided tape (or other solution) that would work well in this case? The tape from the BMW factory was GREAT, but I'm not sure what it was or if it will stick to a clearbra (I assume it would?)
Ads by Google
Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: F30 335i Superman M Sport
Just did a quick Google for one, and here's a promising one:
http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

Going to get OptiCoat this weekend, and I will remove my stuck on ED plate prior to the procedure (PCD gave the option to leave it stuck on, so I did ). I might get this cause I want to have my ED plate out front, for extra protection

2013 BMW 335i Sedan Estoril Blue II M Sport 2PF|6MT|ZDH|ZTP|Coral Red Leather|688|508
2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofcross View Post
Just did a quick Google for one, and here's a promising one:
http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
Looks pretty good for $56 including shipping. They designed it so you won't have to drill any holes in the front for your bumper. Cool.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3
3M makes an adhesive tape for purposes just like this. I actually got mine from the clear bra installer who had it in his shop ( he suggested it). It is gray on color, maybe an inch wide. It's very strong and won't mess up the clear bra. Another option is a similar product you can get at Lowes. It's also 3M adhesive tape, but it looks red because of the film protecting the adhesive side. Not as strong, but easier to find maybe, and should work well. One roll costs about $10, more than enough for an ED plate.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcultra View Post
3M makes an adhesive tape for purposes just like this. I actually got mine from the clear bra installer who had it in his shop ( he suggested it). It is gray on color, maybe an inch wide. It's very strong and won't mess up the clear bra. Another option is a similar product you can get at Lowes. It's also 3M adhesive tape, but it looks red because of the film protecting the adhesive side. Not as strong, but easier to find maybe, and should work well. One roll costs about $10, more than enough for an ED plate.
I found 3M Automotive Tape -- is this what you're talking about that the installers have, or is this the Lowes stuff?

I think this stuff is really thin (i.e. not foam), I wonder if that is going to be conformal enough to stick to something like a license plate that has a lot of bumps/texture. Do you remember if the gray stuff you mentioned is foam or is it more 2-dimensional?

As for the bracket, I really like that idea but I can't tell if it would show a black plastic bezel around the plate? I really was hoping for a view of only the plate, just like it looked on the ED. Anybody know? Also don't know yet which size to buy for a 2013 335 M-Sport.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i Superman M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpilot View Post
As for the bracket, I really like that idea but I can't tell if it would show a black plastic bezel around the plate? I really was hoping for a view of only the plate, just like it looked on the ED. Anybody know? Also don't know yet which size to buy for a 2013 335 M-Sport.
The plastic bracket is to show that the mount works. You don't have to get the bracket, and there is a European version of the mount so you can directly screw in the plate onto the mount (without the bracket).

Now that you kinda mention it, the tape allows the plate to mold with the body. Getting this mount would force the plate off, and as we know, the body is a bit rounded. If you do not get the bracket and just screw the plate into the mound, the plate would be susceptible to damage. Maybe the tape is the best idea. Idk... tape or bracket + mount...

2013 BMW 335i Sedan Estoril Blue II M Sport 2PF|6MT|ZDH|ZTP|Coral Red Leather|688|508
2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
The real 3M stuff comes in 3 different widths and 2 or 3 different thickness. Go to the 3M website, all will be explained.
Really good stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-03616-Scotc...=pd_sbs_auto_4
Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3
I can't tell from the pic of the tape if that's it...I don't think so. I have attached a pic of what I used. 3M extreme mounting tape. Also, a pic of the front of my car. Works well, I think I might need a little more on that left side! But I would ask one of the clear bra installers what they have, especially if they are using 3M products in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352843258.739884.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	349456   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352843286.871834.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	349457