Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i.F30 335i
Finally saw an ATS

I'm in the JFK airport cellphone lot waiting for a friend and here goes a Caddie ATS parked right next to me. I know you can not argue on people's taste but I have to say it, I'm sorry but this car is just plain ugly.

I hear all the comparisons with the F30 on how it drives and handles the roads, but its just so frea...g ugly.

Voila.
Ads by Google
Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
saw one last week. ugly as dog crap
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i

It's a pig, star of the Bergen Center Outlet Mall.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheikh82 View Post
I'm in the JFK airport cellphone lot waiting for a friend and here goes a Caddie ATS parked right next to me. I know you can not argue on people's taste but I have to say it, I'm sorry but this car is just plain ugly.

I hear all the comparisons with the F30 on how it drives and handles the roads, but its just so frea...g ugly.
Agree with you on this.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheikh82 View Post

Voila.
Ugly is right.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:34 AM
Woodswatchco

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
I really wanted to like the ATS. At least Cadillac is trying. My biggest dissappointment was that all the reviews I've heard say that the shifter is notchy. So bad that it basically ruins the car. Also, with Ford, BMW, and even Scion (FRS) putting amazing looking wheels on their cars, why did Cadillac choose a style that looks like they came off a 1990 Oldsmobile? The optional wheels are the same style just polished! Wow, I had that option on my $17,000 Mazda Protege5 in 2003.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswatchco View Post
I really wanted to like the ATS. At least Cadillac is trying. My biggest dissappointment was that all the reviews I've heard say that the shifter is notchy. So bad that it basically ruins the car. Also, with Ford, BMW, and even Scion (FRS) putting amazing looking wheels on their cars, why did Cadillac choose a style that looks like they came off a 1990 Oldsmobile? The optional wheels are the same style just polished! Wow, I had that option on my $17,000 Mazda Protege5 in 2003.
They stopped production to fix the manual transmission.

I don't find the car ugly, not in the way some recent BMWs are overdesigned and ugly. I find it a bit plain, and the chrome is nasty.

ATS-V is confirmed for next year, as is a diesel, and an 8-speed automatic from Aisin. Cadillac is serious about competing with BMW.

ATS-V should fix the chrome problem, and the wheels. If it gets the new V8 from the Corvette it'll get my attention, if it's just a turbo V6, no thanks.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswatchco View Post
The real problem with the ATS is that it's cheap.

I don't mean unattractive- that's subjective, to each his own. But if you look at the car on the outside, it just reeks of low quality. The plastic parts are too thin, the sheetmetal is too unaggressive. It literally looks like a gussied-up Buick.

So even if you like the styling and can live with the old-man branding, I don't think you can live with how low-end it looks, at least no BMW owner could.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
So far the ATS has received Luxury Car of the Year from Popular Mechanics, and Premium Family Sedan of the Year by Canadian car journalists annual contest. Not bad for a first try.

I don't think either the ATS and the F30 is that good looking, but plenty of people can like both, or like either one but hate the other.

One thing is clear, there will be many Bimmer owners moving over to ATS. It started with the CTS. Interestingly one thing attracted many CTS owners was the "ugly" exterior styling. Many of them complain the ATS softened the edged design to appeal to European drivers, and they don't like it.

Go figure.

BTW, I agree with Chris, the ATS needs to at least offer a trim without all the nasty chrome treatment.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post

One thing is clear, there will be many Bimmer owners moving over to ATS.
Find me one, please. You've been lobbying this point since July, still haven't found one BMW owner that's remotely interested.

BJ

Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Find me one, please. You've been lobbying this point since July, still haven't found one BMW owner that's remotely interested.

BJ
He just likes to hear himself speak
Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:

BJ
Rather than stick your head in the Bimmer forum, only listen to yourself and your Bimmer buddies talking, I suggest you occasionally do pull it out and check other forums.

Not that you have to, but if you want to insist no Bimmer drivers can possibly move to other brands, check the forums of those other brands first.

Last edited by dtc100; 11-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Rather than stick your head in the Bimmer forum, only listen to yourself and your Bimmer buddies talking, I suggest you occasionally do pull it out and check other forums.

Not that you have to, but if you want to insist no Bimmer drivers can possibly move to other brands, check the forums of those other brands first.
It was a pretty simple request. You say BMW drivers are moving to the ATS, please send us a link to another forum thread in which an E90 driver chose between an F30 and an ATS. Seems like it should be really simple for you to do since so many are switching...
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
He just likes to hear himself speak
People who stick to one place they feel comfortable, are those who likes to hear themselves speak. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just pointing out the irony.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
It was a pretty simple request. You say BMW drivers are moving to the ATS, please send us a link to another forum thread in which an E90 driver chose between an F30 and an ATS. Seems like it should be really simple for you to do since so many are switching...
If you feel vindicated because I have not provided any link, so be it. As I said, there is nothing wrong with not wanting to see outside of the box. I am not interested in helping you if you are not interested.

Those who may give the ATS a look are more than capable of punching in a few letters and find those discussions on other sites. Posting forum links here from a competing brand is often not appropriate.

Posting third party reports and comparison tests are different.

Last edited by dtc100; 11-13-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
^ LOL. Anybody buying that?
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
If you feel vindicated because I have not provided any link, so be it. As I said, there is nothing wrong with not wanting to see outside of the box. I am not interested in helping you if you are not interested.

Those who may give the ATS a look are more than capable of punching in a few letters and find those discussions on other sites. Posting forum links here from a competing brand is often not appropriate.

Keep telling yourself that. I don't have any interest because I really don't care. But what is annoying is when someone says something but can't be bothered to back it up in anyway shape or form. Unlike others, I am not saying you are incorrect. But when you can't produce a single shred of evidence after going on and on for months, it just smells like bull****.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Not to be condescending, but If you are so adamant that the ATS is so good and that plenty of BMW owners are switching/will switch, why are you still posting in this forum? For a BMW owner, in a BMW enthusiast forum, one would assume you'd be advocating for the position taken by BJ and the like...

I think the ATS is a huge step in the right direction for domestic car making, and I applaud Caddie for the effort. However IMHO, I don't think the refinement is quite there yet. It does appeal to a different demographic than is standard for Caddie, and the "V" will most certainly be viscous, but its got some growing to do to be considered top class like the BMW 3er. It also needs to prove its place in front of Audi and Mercedes, both who have made excellent cars in the past (but neither able to de-thrown the 3er consistently) and will be releasing new C class and A4 designs very soon. Perhaps as Caddie evolves the platform and revises the design it will continue to get better and better. However, BMW will continue its evolution of the 3er and so the rat race will go on..

Last edited by Jokerswld34; 11-13-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
^ LOL. Anybody buying that?
He keeps telling us how much we should love the ATS and we keep telling him we're not interested so he keeps coming back to tell is how much we should love the ATS.

There was this Star Trek episode where Kirk is trapped in a parallel universe with Spock, gave me the same kind of headache.

BJ

Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerswld34 View Post
Not to be condescending, but If you are so adamant that the ATS is so good and that plenty of BMW owners are switching/will switch, why are you still posting in this forum? For a BMW owner, in a BMW enthusiast forum, one would assume you'd be advocating for the position taken by BJ and the like.

I think the ATS is a huge step in the right direction for domestic car making, and I applaud Caddie for the effort. However IMHO, I don't think the refinement is quite there yet. It does appeal to a different demographic than is standard for Caddie, and the "V" will most certainly be viscous, but its got some growing to do to be considered top class like the BMW 3er. Perhaps as Caddie evolves the platform and revises the design it will continue to get better and better. However, BMW will continue its evolution of the 3er and so the rat race will continue..
We all have new F30's.

He has an old E90.

The only person in this subforum who is a candidate for an ATS is dtc100 and even he isn't buying one. You can't make this stuff up.

BJ

Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
We all have new F30's.

He has an old E90.

The only person in this subforum who is a candidate for an ATS is dtc100 and even he isn't buying one. You can't make this stuff up.

BJ
+1 . He needs to stop trolling this forum as no one here really cares about the ATS; if we did we would've bought one instead
Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerswld34 View Post
+1 . He needs to stop trolling this forum as no one here really cares about the ATS; if we did we would've bought one instead
I was pretty sure he was gone after October sales rebounded, and he and the handful of ATS/FOTM pushers stopped posting a new thread every 3 days about how the new 3 series is terrible.

I just want a link, one simple link. Is that so hard?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
He keeps telling us how much we should love the ATS and we keep telling him we're not interested so he keeps coming back to tell is how much we should love the ATS.

There was this Star Trek episode where Kirk is trapped in a parallel universe with Spock, gave me the same kind of headache.

BJ
I think I remember that. Spock kept trying to get Kirk to buy an ATS. As I recall Kirk refused in both universes.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
I was pretty sure he was gone after October sales rebounded, and he and the handful of ATS/FOTM pushers stopped posting a new thread every 3 days about how the new 3 series is terrible.

I just want a link, one simple link. Is that so hard?
Apparently so! He needs to understand that this is an enthusiast forum and that everyone is here because they love their BMW, need help with something regarding their BMW, or are looking to gain insight (biased) to buy a BMW. Talking about a Cadillac has no place here
Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
I think I remember that. Spock kept trying to get Kirk to buy an ATS. As I recall Kirk refused in both universes.
It was a next generation episode where another ship kept coming out of no where and destroying the Enterprise. Data wanted to use a tractor beam to move the ATS out of the Enterprises path, but it never worked. Finally they listen to Riker and decompressed the main shuttle bay, thus avoiding the ATS.

Some folks on this forum are the singularity which causes the time loop.