Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 745li
Finished the project yesterday replaced both of those diverter metal valves at the rear of the engine replaced the two hoses and the Y connection, broke a hose because it was so brittle the thing fell apart. 2 valves $130 each, had to replace the manifold gaskets when I took off the manifold 2 gaskets at $35 a piece the the hose with the Y connection $60 bucks and the hose I broke is two two separate hoses (Lucky me that bmw revised) now 2 at $50 bucks a rip. Total cost was $533.00. Put the whole thing together after about 2 hours and the cars leaks fuel everywhere. Just great. Find out that when I pulled that fuel rail a couple of my injectors stayed inside. There is an O ring on the bottom part but also the top part of the injector. The top o rings slipped off and stayed in the wire harness part without me knowing. When I put the injectors back in the were a little loose which I though was funny but didn't realize what I did. So after removing everything for the second time fixed 3 injectors with no o rings on the top than put it back together. Ran rough than cleared itself out. Turned off the p0491 code and hope like hell that the valve was the problem. If not im guessing it will be a carbon build up problem and Im screwed. I'll keep the update in a couple weeks see if she turns back on, I can just hear that high pitch ding in the back of my head its the worst sound ever when that check engine light comes back on.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I warned you about those o-rings. My dealer did not stock them. They said that they have never sold one, except to me! Hopefully your problems are behind you. It's great that you decided to do the job yourself!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 PM

hahaha ya the same thing with my dealership. $5.67 per 0 ring x 2 x 8 hahah they must have a gold lining in them for that price. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Were you not tempted to do your coolant pipe, while you were that close? You will know what to the next time!

How bad a shape were the hoses that you removed? Were there any signs of carbon buildup anywhere?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:52 AM

HerbP I was very tempted but after spending $500 for an emission related problem my wallet was not happy with me. When I took off the valve cover it was considerably clean besides a few leaf particles. There was small amount of coolant I could see on the sides. All the hoses were in perfect shape that's why im a little worried. No of them were clogged or affected by the heat and no oil was present in them. Even the valves I could blow air through them no problem so I don't know how to tell if they were bad or not.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 328is & 2003 754i
Hi All

I have been very busy with a lot of other things my health beeing the most important. but here is an update. The borescope I bought is to big for the tube so thats out, i did some head scrathing thinking back to my drag racing days trying to come up with somthing that disolves carbon, there isn't a lot out there, how ever I tryed some off the wall things and I think I mite have come up with somthing. I made a blast gun using a snap-on syphon gun and I blasted a gun cleaning solvent called hoppies #9 i used two 9oz bottels and let it sit over night, then with the car runnig I use a strong solution of Tide laundry detergent and hot water and blasted about a gallon of that.

OK I know you are thinking this guy is a nut but here is my thinking, the gun cleaning solvent does a very good job on powder residue and lead foulling in guns, the Tide has a high alkline content and i know from jet engine cleaning that when a high alkikine soap and water is turned to steam ( thats why the engine is runnig ) it will disovle all kinds of crap. also if the engine is running it won't hydraulic lock a cylinder.

Now for the bad news when I started this project all I had was low flow on bank 2 the divers side, when I got done with my project everything was going well until my pump stoped working, that said I took the pump out and bench tested it and an acorn fell out it so now it works, when i put it back in I must not have hook up the air hose rite and it sound like a vaccuum cleaner from the 60s and I haven't had the time to take it all apart and fix it so i still have a bank 1 and 2 failure. When I get it fixed I will report back. How ever I am getting ready for my winter project of pulling the motor to clean the ports if I need to. So keep in touch for up dates and we will get this fixed yet
Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Carbon Build up on 04 745i

I have code 2761 Secondary air bank one, couldn't pass inspection, Dealer replaced 2 valves and hoses going to valves. They state its carbon build up in the heads. Spoke to service manager today and he feels there is a blockage in the tube going into the engine on the left side since the air pressure is to low. I'm thinking of Seafoaming the car to see if I can loosen up some of the deposits. He also stated that the rear o2 sensor is throwing a code but didn't replace it yet. Do you think we should try and replace the sensor or is this just a waste of money?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
How do you replace the air pump hoses (11727508270) on a 2004 745li?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...81&hg=11&fg=50 Here is the hoses that were replaced in the 04 745. There are detail threads showing DIY but I always have a mechanic fix it. Hope this helps.

Last edited by fratan; 01-30-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: Beemer Soon!
Battling this right now. Pump replaced, PCV replaced, heads were just removed and sand-blasted. WHen put back together my gas mileage went up to 22 street. Emissions code is back, rough idle and a little loss of power, average MPH back to 17.8... The codes stayed off long enough to smog check my car. Im so tired of this 745 right now.

A second Indy shop says that even though the (warranty shop) removed and sandblasted the heads they didnt do it right and that is why the problem is still there. My Indy Shop (specialize in BMW) wants $2000 to fix it right. My warranty shop is a bunch of Jack-Holes that screwed other things up on my car and didnt fix this problem right... Those 645's are starting to look better and better...

IF possible, I am interested in disabling my secondary, why the $500 to do it?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 735 2002
hey...

i had the same problem a while back. turned out to be cracked hoses under the manifold. replqced those and everything was fine. u could also check the pump using inpa. go to the engine section amd activate the pump. it pumps air thru a hose connected directly to the air filter. u cam.activate the pump, disconmect the hose and check if its pumpimg air. the secondary air system only has a few parts so it should be easy to check. also, did u check ur valves? maybe they're not closing properly?

Sent from my hGT-P6800 using Bimmer App
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li, 2000 Linc LS
Has anyone had any luck with this issue? I just paid $1400 to have BMW supposedly fix this problem only to have the light comeback on 3 days later and dropped it back off only to have BMW call me today saying its is excessive carbon buildup on the heads and only way to fix it is to pull the head and clean for a price around $11k I asked if Vaseline came with that. So if anyone could let me know if they have been able to resolve this issue. Don't think my aftermarket warranty will cover this.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li, 2000 Linc LS
Also the secondary bypass for $500 is this something BMW does or another shop?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 328is & 2003 754i
Victory

I have fixed my secondary air problem see my post on cel nightmare for all the details.

Tugman