Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
OT Anybody Tried a Google ChromeBook?

Has anybody used or purchased a Google ChromeBook? My laptop is about to die, & I need something lightweight & portable for surfing the web. At 249.00 purchase price, how bad could it be. I don't know much about Google OS, but Windows 8 does not look to promising!

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
I've seen the Nexus 7 - nice form factor, but I understand it to not be that great. I've also seen the iPad Mini - if you're an iPhone/Pod/Pad user, that's a great device.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM

I use the IPhone, & the wife has an IPad. They are to slow for doing anything for me. The Apps do not always allow different programs to be viewed, like a computer with a Windows operating system. I can not find a ChromeBook anywhere in town to play, & I don't like to buy sight unseen!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Have not tried the ChromeBook but I bought a Nexus 7 and returned it.

I have an Android phone, and a Netbook that I dual boot with Android too. To me, Droid is like WinXP SP1. An improvement but not there yet.

The Nexus 7 did not seem any more useful than my iPad, and other than watching videos on a plane, casual email reading, playing Angry Birds and occasional web browsing (lack of Flash is a pain) it's not much use. I still have to carry a PC to get any work done.

A friend just bought the MS Slate and I think that my be the way to go. It can run Office apps and that's what I need. There is a second Pro version due soon with a faster processor too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Has anybody used or purchased a Google ChromeBook? My laptop is about to die, & I need something lightweight & portable for surfing the web. At 249.00 purchase price, how bad could it be. I don't know much about Google OS, but Windows 8 does not look to promising!

Thanks!

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
Have not tried the ChromeBook but I bought a Nexus 7 and returned it.

I have an Android phone, and a Netbook that I dual boot with Android too. To me, Droid is like WinXP SP1. An improvement but not there yet.

The Nexus 7 did not seem any more useful than my iPad, and other than watching videos on a plane, casual email reading, playing Angry Birds and occasional web browsing (lack of Flash is a pain) it's not much use. I still have to carry a PC to get any work done.

A friend just bought the MS Slate and I think that my be the way to go. It can run Office apps and that's what I need. There is a second Pro version due soon with a faster processor too.
I was wondering if it had flash capability. I ordered one from Best Buy last night. They said that if I was not happy with it, bring it back. Of all the people that I talked with, everyone asked if I bought one that they would like to see it. I guess I will be the guinea pig!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
I was able to check out the new MS Surface tablet at a kiosk in the perimeter mall - definitely had a very good look/feel for those that want to stick with MS operating system. With the attachable keyboard, it seemed like a nice combo of an iPad tablet funtionality with an ultrabook. I picked up the Acer S5 ultrabook a few months ago and love it.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Oops, I called the Slate and it's the Surface. From what I can see in this article it will support Flash Player. Keep us posted on how you make out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
I was wondering if it had flash capability. I ordered one from Best Buy last night. They said that if I was not happy with it, bring it back. Of all the people that I talked with, everyone asked if I bought one that they would like to see it. I guess I will be the guinea pig!

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM

It is supposed to arrive around noon tomorrow. It will let everyone know what I think.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 PM

I have got the Chrome Book up & running. The software is a little different than Microsoft, but not to hard to learn. The Chrome Book runs very similar to the IPad, but a lot faster. Setting up links to websites takes a while the 1st time, but after that, it is just as fast as a normal laptop. Navigating the Apps or Settings, is a little different. This part is probably more similar to a Apple product. The mouse pad is like the mouse pad on a Apple product. My only complaint is that the screen is a little smaller than I would like, but for the price you can not complain. There seems to be Apps for around anything that you would want! The hard drive is limited to 16gig, but most document are stored on the I-Cloud. I will give more feedback as time goes, but it will take care of all my needs. This would be a very good starter computer for anyone, especially young kids for the price of 249.00.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M
Costco has an Asus or Acer 11.6 inch windows laptop with 4 gigs of ram and a 500 gig hard drive for $249
Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007' BMW 650i
I love my Motorola Xoom tablet on Verizon. I bought a second one used for 229. They are super fast and very easy to use with or without a Bluetooth keyboard. HDMI out makes using it with a large monitor a snap. I have a 64gb card for a total of 96gb of storage. I prefer it over my iPhone, Razr, and W7 laptop.

2007' BMW 650i Cabriolet | Stratus Metallic - Gray top
SMG Transmission | HUD | Logic 7 | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg
Adaptive Cruise Control | Comfort Access