Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i E92
328i odd vibration for a second and rpm drop

car: 2007 328i E92

Hey all,

I'm stuck with this weird problem I just started experiencing right after I replaced all my brake pads and changed the oil (to mobil 1 5w30 full syn) Even though this maintenance was performed, I can't see ANY RELATION whatsoever to the problem.

The problem is that when the car is idling, there is a vibration (which is also audible) of the engine and slight rpm drop of maybe 100-200 all within a second, maximum two seconds and then it returns to normal.

I cannot consistently recreate the problem, it comes and goes, but it seems to happen more when I "do" something while in idle like switching to D or R and holding the brake, and or steer in place. Or simply driving and then stopping at a stop light while holding the brake.

what could this possibly be?
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by event3horizon View Post
I'm stuck with this weird problem I just started experiencing right after I replaced all my brake pads and changed the oil (to mobil 1 5w30 full syn) Even though this maintenance was performed, I can't see ANY RELATION whatsoever to the problem.

The problem is that when the car is idling, there is a vibration (which is also audible) of the engine and slight rpm drop of maybe 100-200 all within a second, maximum two seconds and then it returns to normal.

I cannot consistently recreate the problem, it comes and goes, but it seems to happen more when I "do" something while in idle like switching to D or R and holding the brake, and or steer in place. Or simply driving and then stopping at a stop light while holding the brake.

What's been done to the engine so far?

First thing to do: Check codes

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-13-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
What's been done to the engine so far?

First thing to do: Check codes

Not much to the engine that I can remember of except a few oil changes. The car has about 50K miles and there are no codes at all.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Not much to the engine that I can remember of except a few oil changes. The car has about 50K miles and there are no codes at all.

How was that checked?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
How was that checked?
I don't see any on the instrument cluster? I guess there are hidden codes too since you're asking eh?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
I don't see any on the instrument cluster? I guess there are hidden codes too since you're asking eh?

Should have a look - very revealing.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
Might be something to do with the gas in the tank. If it continues over a few tank fulls, then start looking elsewhere.

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Should have a look - very revealing.
It would be nice if I can know how.. but I'll just search.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougN View Post
Might be something to do with the gas in the tank. If it continues over a few tank fulls, then start looking elsewhere.
Thought about it. I'm using 93 octane from sunoco most of the time. I just haven't had this issue pop up until recently.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:
It would be nice if I can know how.. but I'll just search.
Hello there..."reading codes" is accomplished by hooking up a device to the OBD port, which is down to your lower left, with respect to sitting in the drivers seat of your car. If you are interested in purchasing a code reader, search here, and it will be obvious which one to buy. Some people just take it into the dealer or indy, since even if they knew what the code meant, they would not be able to perform the required work. Most people who participate on bimmerfest like to be as educated as possible, and find value in knowing the codes.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:18 PM

Alright but I see no codes in the check control area or anything. No check engine light. But if there are codes that can be triggered in a hidden fashion with no indication, and can only be read by a tool, then that seems pretty stupid. But just my rant.

Anyway, I did more testing and it doesn't seem to happen when a/c is off. When I switched a/c off another oddity occurred in that there is a DEEP low frequency RUMBLE that almost hurts my ears when the ac is off and I am in D or R. This goes away when the a/c is on. So bizarre.

Also I noticed when the problem happens, the car just wants to lunge forward. It almost seems like it is not caused by the engine at all but maybe transmission.

I'm a bit new to BMW and so far not impressed mechanical wise though the interior and exterior design quality in this car is world class. I've been in a few Benzes where i can neither hear the engine, nor rumbles nor vibrations. They're smooth as butter.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
AI'm a bit new to BMW and so far not impressed mechanical wise though the interior and exterior design quality in this car is world class. I've been in a few Benzes where i can neither hear the engine, nor rumbles nor vibrations. They're smooth as butter.

The stroke from Munich's a touch bugs-in-the-teeth, but Germans have always been hard asses, some ways. A manly feel.

Check codes by hookin' up an OBD II cable - please DO click the link.

Search not a bad idea at all. Lots to see & learn, but your mission here is to list all codes thrown so we can see what the car sees. Yup, some are hidden, the better to inform your friendly BMW tech rather than doing maint your bad self.

Some SA's get kinda touchy about OBD II scanners. Paranoia strikes deep; don't like an overly informed client. Draw yer own conclusions!

Which MB's do you like?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM

Thanks cal.

I think I made a slight breakthrough but not sure. I think it was my dirty air filter causing all this. Annoyingly, I had to remove the entire assembly to take it out. I had the filter out and drove around and engine seems to run noticeably smoother. I tried to recreate original problem but couldn't. It could be this. I'll do more driving tomorrow and report back.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 PM

still no go unfortunately. Still happens. I guess i'm just taking it to the dealer. I still have powertrain warranty so we'll see.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Mike in Texas

Mein Auto: 2007 328i coupe
i am having the same problem on my car. When I took it to the dealer they said it was the coil. I have 80000 miles on it now. Anyway it happens mostly when at a stop light. I know exactly what you are feeling. I thought it was gas because once i filled up with some Exxon (using shell always but needed gas and had to stop at the Exxon) and it got worse. I also had washed it and someone said it could be the moisture. let me know what you figure out.
Oh and they wanted 850 to change the coils and plugs.

07 - 328i Coupe
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 PM

interesting. One thing I can tell you is that it has become very rare now since changing my air filter.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM

Just an update this problem's been back and even worse than before. I wonder if that recall thing is any relation to this.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 PM

Also I'm not sure if this is a misfire or something similar. I have no codes, no lights. Just freakin confusing.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 PM

Finally have a video. Here it is in all its horrendous glory. Is this a misfire?? When the problem happens, the brake is being pressed and the A/C is on. Does not happen when A/C is off. Happens in D and R. In this video, it is in R when it happens.
Have your volume up and listen carefully.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Finally had time to give her to the stealership. Luckily I have extended warranty. They didn't know EXACTLY what the problem was but did whole bunch of things (probably to rip off the warranty company) so finally the problem is fixed. It idles a whooole lot smoother and no jolts:

-Replaced water pump, fill and bleed cooling system <-- why they did this, have no idea. They claimed there was a code diag.
-Swap VANOS solenoids <-- no idea what this is but could've actually been the problem
-Trans Fluid leak: Replace transmission sealing sleeve, replace mech sealing sleeve and trans pan.
-Suspension concern: Replace front thrust rod bushings

Last edited by event3horizon; 03-06-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM

I can safely say definitely the VANOS solenoids caused this:
Quote:
VANOS is a combined hydraulic and mechanical camshaft control device managed by the car's DME engine management system. The VANOS system is based on a discrete adjustment mechanism that can modify the position of the intake camshaft versus the crankshaft. Double-VANOS adds continuous adjustability to the intake and exhaust camshafts.

VANOS operates on the intake camshaft in accordance with engine speed and accelerator pedal position. At the lower end of the engine-speed scale, the intake valves are opened later, which improves idling quality and smoothness. At moderate engine speeds, the intake valves open much earlier, which boosts torque and permits exhaust gas re-circulation inside the combustion chambers, reducing fuel consumption and exhaust emissions. Finally, at high engine speeds, intake valve opening is once again delayed, so that full power can be developed. VANOS significantly enhances emission management, increases output and torque, and offers better idling quality and fuel economy.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Here's mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=D5_ufSBlurM

I haven't had time to take it in yet, but you think its vanos? I did some research and it matches the symptoms of an eccentric shaft sensor. Do you know which vanos solenoid was replaced?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
Here's mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=D5_ufSBlurM

I haven't had time to take it in yet, but you think its vanos? I did some research and it matches the symptoms of an eccentric shaft sensor. Do you know which vanos solenoid was replaced?
Wow your RPM oscillates vigorously there. I didn't have that many frequent oscillations as you may have seen in my video. Of course I cannot say if the solenoid is a problem on yours but If you have someone do a code check first for any other problems then you should consider it.

On the repair sheet it said Solenoids with a plural so I guess both of them, assuming that there is two total.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM

OK NEVERMIND.. again.. I'm tired of this but the problem is still present. For some reason when I tested at night there wasn't a problem but maybe because the car didn't warm up. Today driving around longer, the problem is back. Back to the dealer, sigh.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: 328i bmw 2007
hello event3horizon i have the same problem with my rpms as you posted in your video I seen that the dealer changed you vanos sineloids but the problem came back. I was wondering if you were able to fix the problem and if so what did you need to fix I hope you could help out