Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 740i
start, no start, driving me nuts

my 95 7 ran really good on friday night....reached in to start it sunday night and it started then died. would not restart. the motor sounded really funny when i tried to restart it too, like there was no compression. i thought i had broke a timing chain, but no. thought i had a tech read the computer for codes, but it turns out he did not. got to chasing the no start, and did a compression test on left bank. 100, 80, 60, 40 lbs front back. not good. however, car ran perfectly, no bad idle, and showed me getting 23mpg a week before. absolutely no problem with how it ran prior to no start. so now i have motor torn down, head off, and am now wondering if there is a sensor in the car that would prevent it from starting, or shut it down after it had started. i am furious with my wrench for not scanning the car!! im checking numbers for the non recalled block number, so im probably heading towards replacing motor. however, i would also consider rebuilding heads if motor is not nikosil. am really lost as to why it quit and then would not start. i have read hundreds of forums, and they help, but not nailing it down for me. any ideas would be appreciated.
Advertisement