Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i BMW
Exclamation BMW body repair (specifically the bumper)

Sorry guys! I'm completely new to this forum and had no idea where to post this, but I'm going to need some advice from those of you who are truly car savvy!

Let me just inform you of my predicament really quick; first off, I am a female senior high school student who, unfortunately, is required to park in the student parking lot of our campus. I say unfortunately because about 80% of the our student body, especially the boys, drive with complete disregard for safety of others. Go figure... it's a teen thing I guess. Well...today as I was leaving school I noticed that I had a shallow dent on the right side of my bumper (about the size of my fist...so not too big) right under my tail light. Seeing as I get out around 1:30, and the fact that this dent was not there during my 12:00 o'clock lunch period, I'm assuming that some ignant student backed into my car during lunch or class. And no, they didn't bother to leave insurance information.

I'm going to post some pictures of it to give you a better idea. I went to body shop and they told me the whole bumper needed to be replaced. I thought about it, and asked why they couldn't just push it back out and repaint the bumper since the dent isn't that big or punctured. I talked to my brother about it who told me I was an idiot for going there alone without somebody knowledgeable.

I'm already aware that there is a good possibility that they could be trying to take advantage of the fact that I'm just a silly girl who knows nothing about cars and will trust them to know how to fix it. That's why I want your opinion on what should be done or what could be done- my options. I've already had a friend pay 1500 to fix her car only for her to later find out the damages could've been fixed for roughly 700. I'm trying to avoid that type of situation. Tell me what you think!

I drive a 2009 3 series BMW (328i). Pictures are below;

http://flic.kr/p/dnPAVm

http://flic.kr/p/dnPAYy

http://flic.kr/p/dnPB1A

http://flic.kr/p/dnPBeQ

Also, just in case this needs to be known, the car is in my name and it's insured. I haven't talked to my insurance company about covering it. I have no idea if they would and I'd rather pay out of pocket and not tell them if they aren't going to do anything anyway...don't want anything on my insurance record.
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexliverpool View Post
Let me just inform you of my predicament really quick; first off, I am a female senior high school student who, unfortunately, is required to park in the student parking lot of our campus. I say unfortunately because about 80% of the our student body, especially the boys, drive with complete disregard for safety of others. Go figure... it's a teen thing I guess.
First, welcome to Bimmerfest Alex!

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that your car has been damaged. I can assure you that the majority of the American driving public drive with complete disregard for others, so it's not just a teen thing.

While people in this forum might be able to answer your question, since you have an E9x 328i, I would suggest that you post your question in the E90/E91/E92/E93 forum where others that have a similar model may be more suited to answer your question.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
First, welcome to Bimmerfest Alex!

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that your car has been damaged. I can assure you that the majority of the American driving public drive with complete disregard for others, so it's not just a teen thing.

While people in this forum might be able to answer your question, since you have an E9x 328i, I would suggest that you post your question in the E90/E91/E92/E93 forum where others that have a similar model may be more suited to answer your question.
Ahhh! Thanks for the info, I will repost it in that forum. I was looking for a forum regarding body repair/damage but couldn't spot any! Nonetheless, I appreciate the welcoming!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M-Sport
Did you pull your car into the kitchen to take the pictures? =P That floor looks way too nice for a garage!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexliverpool View Post

I thought about it, and asked why they couldn't just push it back out and repaint the bumper since the dent isn't that big or punctured. I talked to my brother about it who told me I was an idiot for going there alone without somebody knowledgeable.
The photos of your car are really helpful.

A spot repair might be possible. I'm not a body expert. Take your car somewhere else and get another estimate. Ask if they can repair bumper covers.

That part of the bumper is flexible plastic. I do know that repairs are tricky to get right. The repairs require an expert and are labor intensive. If the repair is done wrong, it will show or come apart when the bumper flexes. Sometime it is less expensive to replace the part.

The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.