Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Mr. Know Nothing

Mein Auto: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaRay View Post
i was laughing so i posted me laughing. Problem?
yeah I still don't understand
Old 03-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Boosted

Mein Auto: 03 ///M5
its ok, nice car man.

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower
Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
CNS lightweight dm flywheel/Spec clutch,
ST coilovers,
Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets,
Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: E39, AE86, S14,Ram deisel
Awesome job. There are apparently tons of members who are clueless to "stanced" or hellaflush rides. Coming from tracked S14s and AE86s, stretched tires are common.

I gave in and picked up a set of the ES1 19's too! Same wheel specs but getting the faces painted gold. Love your ride bro!

What spacers are you running Narvin? Bolt-on hubcentrics?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9bmw7 View Post
Tires designed for a 8 inch wide rim on an 11 inch wide rim? Wow, i didnt like it when i had 245s on a 9 inch wide rim... I just dont like the look of
wheels past the fender.
Yea, car looks nice but I am surprised you found a tire guy willing to mount 245s on 11 inch rims. If you drive much I think you will scuff the edges of the rims since there is no tire there to protect it.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Interesting how the OP who claims that they don't want to endanger the lives of others on the road, decides to use a dangerous width combination of wheels and tires. Seems like a while has passed since the thread was started. I wonder if they experienced bead separation while driving on the road.

I was young at one point.....not too long ago it seems. You learn from your mistakes.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomolka30 View Post
Interesting how the OP who claims that they don't want to endanger the lives of others on the road, decides to use a dangerous width combination of wheels and tires
Hi, would you mind posting up the scientific data to prove your statement please? I'm running 19's as well and I'd like to know at what point it becomes dangerous to run 19 inch wheels & tyres specification wise compared to oem.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 PM
San Diego Players Club

Mein Auto: a civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCooper! View Post
Hi, would you mind posting up the scientific data to prove your statement please? I'm running 19's as well and I'd like to know at what point it becomes dangerous to run 19 inch wheels & tyres specification wise compared to oem.

Cheers, Dennis!
If you re-read his statement, he was referring to a dangerous tire width (as in stretched tires) and the bead popping off the rim.

19" rims are fine as long as the offset and tire size is reasonable, but i'm sure you know that.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528I
Narvin...I have a set of 2" spacers brand new. They're yours uf you pay shipping...about $12. PM me if interested.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCooper! View Post

Cheers, Dennis!
Kurrrwa is correct, it's the width that is dangerous, not the wheel diameter.

What the OP is doing is similar to wearing size 56 trousers on a 50 waist.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

I can see that I've slightly misconstrued there, so re-reading it again I think that is indeed what was meant. However, on the flipside to that, there are many enthusiasts out there the world over who run stretched tyres. I've never run my wheels and tyres like this so I don't have direct experience, however, the above applies - at what 'point' does it become dangerous to stretch a tyre? If by a relatively small amount, I think I've read on other forums it's safe to do so and backing that up is the fact countries around the world and their motoring authorities have not made it illegal to run stretched tyres on the basis of 'dangerously' compromised safety. However, stretching a tyre too much I'd suspect can be detrimental. There's been many enthusiasts who've probably tried all sorts of tyres and wheel width combinations and worked out what does and can fit nicely and importantly safely without running 'excessive' stretch for daily use/driven cars.
Just discussing !

Cheers, Dennis!