Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw e63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchagg View Post
Hi tinnox did you manage to find someone n the uk to fit your pipes then??

If so let me know, I want myn doing too.
Hi... Im from Spain and here is very difficult to find some parts for our 6. I bought Xpipe from Summit racing in USA for about 380$ shipped and i installing it for myself...Now it sounds a lil bit F1 with x pipe in the front....but only noticiable when push the gas up..
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
Fellow 6ers,
After reading this thread IM ALL IN! Lol..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	348641  
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
What Model number Magna Flow?

I just installed the X-Pipe and bypassed the 3 resonators on my 2006 650i based on this thread.. Thank you all! Great info.

Sound improvement is great, but i want more!

I want to buy 2 Magnaflow mufflers to add on (I hope this will add the "more" I'm looking for)

I need to know the manufacture part numbers for the exact part that fits my car... Can anyone help? Single tip and duel tip would be nice.

Also... How much volume / sound quality will i get out of adding mufflers. considering I have already done the above mod... Is it even worth it, or should i stay with my stock mufflers?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-oRIDDLERo

Last edited by oRIDDLERo; 11-13-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
The exhaust will be much louder than stock if you install Magnaflows. Personally I think the Magnaflows sound good but they are a bit much for a daily driver.

Here are two threads with part numbers and video clips. The Mangaflow site also has video clips. Note that the Magnaflow site only lists an entire system for the 650i, which you don't need because you've done the resonator delete.

The Magnaflow exhaust thread...

Magnaflow Exhaust just put in This clip is with one of the two resonators removed.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
The exhaust will be much louder than stock if you install Magnaflows. Personally I think the Magnaflows sound good but they are a bit much for a daily driver.

Here are two threads with part numbers and video clips. [URL="http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=10165"]
Thanks but all i can find in my searches seems to conflicting information.

For my 2006 650i I'm pretty sure it is either:

Magnaflow part #11366 (Center/Offset)
or
Magnaflow part #11235 (Offset/Offset)

Then i just need the part number for the tips. (Does tip length matter)

I'm usually pretty good with forum/net research, but this is driving me crazy. I just want the part numbers so i can place the order and get this over with! I even called Magnaflow and the guy was unsure (wanted measurements).

Thanks again!
Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM

Very nice. Where did you put the x-pipe - and I presume you kept stock rear mufflers?

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattserati View Post
I would like to pop my head up and say hi. I bought my 650i on Monday, and thanks to this thread, I had the desire and confidence to delete the resonators this morning.
After $200 (AUS) and an hour's wait, I am now driving a super smooth coupe that changes into a barking animal when provoked. Awesome modification - thanks everyone for providing all the info you have in this thread.
In order to give something back, here is a short video of my car post-resonators. Hopefully anyone sitting on the fence will benefit.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM

You can see it in the picture I posted - it is right up front where the bullet resonators used to be. My x-pipe was fabricated on site, and it sees both bends come together a bit less than others I have seen, but my understanding is that it will still do the job of equalising pressure between cylinder banks. Either way, it works and sounds good.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM

Just got my resonators deleted! It sound good but I need a little more rumble. Should i go with Flowmaster mufflers or Magnaflow?

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354123173610.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	351205  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
Just got my resonators deleted! It sound good but I need a little more rumble. Should i go with Flowmaster mufflers or Magnaflow?

I just installed my Magnaflow's after my 3x res delete... and it will get you LOTS more rumble... Like double lol... Crazy.

Here is link for the part you need cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310481239844...84.m1439.l2649

And the stock tips for them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120851613894...84.m1439.l2649

Last edited by oRIDDLERo; 11-28-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Has anyone tried to install 2 cutouts just in front of the mufflers? any pros or cons on that mod? would there be even enough room to install a electronic valve.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 AM
SRM

Mein Auto: '04 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktekk View Post
that's something I like to call the the Bavarian Two Step... if a nice BMW rolls in, knock the price up two steps.
hahahaha that, sir, is as good of a definition as it gets

On a side note, has anyone tried an exhaust combination with M6 mufflers on the 6ers?
I have a 645ci, got my hands on some oem M6 mufflers fairly cheap - mainly because I want to install a M6 rear bumper. Sound should be different IMO - the pipes are bigger, and i'm sure the baffles inside the M mufflers are tuned differently as well.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 AM
SRM

Mein Auto: '04 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymetzger View Post
Has anyone tried to install 2 cutouts just in front of the mufflers? any pros or cons on that mod? would there be even enough room to install a electronic valve.
don't do it...I tried that with a V6 audi before, two cut-outs right after the headers....thing was louder than a drag car, sounded absolutely fugly, and the drone inside the car will make you get addicted to advil after about 30 min of driving. I really don't see a V8 bimmer be any better
Old 02-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 650i
I took the plunge and removed my two round resonators over the weekend with straight pipes. The difference in sound is very very subtle compared to stock. I'm hoping to eventually replace the mufflers to achieve the desire sound. For now, I'll have to settle.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
M6 mufflers sound good imo on 650s havent heard it on a 45 but it should bevthe same

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Ok so all this talk of deleting and removing and changing, but how will this effect emissions testing? Our smog test here in Cali are very strict?
Will they still pass the test after the mods if so I'm gonna do mine too.

Eurowned- did you take an after pics.

thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
If you don't touch the cat/ catalytic converter, you will pass smog for sure. Even some catless system can pass the smog (might fail the visual test).

My phone is really bad so the sound record not really show the real sound. If you guys come down to the SoCal meet, I will prove to you guys that 650i can sound so good. The M6 Eisenmann Race is a total different beats compare to Remus or Magnaflow. Magnaflow will give you a brum brum typical new generation muscle car sound. Eisenmann race is another stoy. I'm loving my 6 sound.

2009 BMW 650i Cabrio (daily drive)
2011 Audi A4 (groceries, bully, road trip, winter beater, family car)

BMW CCA ID: 473647

Last edited by reytran; 02-25-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluers View Post
I took the plunge and removed my two round resonators over the weekend with straight pipes. The difference in sound is very very subtle compared to stock. I'm hoping to eventually replace the mufflers to achieve the desire sound. For now, I'll have to settle.
Did you also delete the center "box"/resonator and replace it with an X-pipe? Most folks on this thread (including me) took out all three and installed an X-pipe in place of center box. The sound is still subtle but a little louder than just taking out the two resonators, especially at WOT.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, premium sound, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with non-RFT super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, 5W bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for the family - no mod's
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Did you also delete the center "box"/resonator and replace it with an X-pipe? Most folks on this thread (including me) took out all three and installed an X-pipe in place of center box. The sound is still subtle but a little louder than just taking out the two resonators, especially at WOT.
I decided to keep the center resonator box intact in case I wanted to replace the mufflers to keep the noise level down. I was thinking about buying the Eisenman Race exhaust, but I coundn't justify spending $2400 for only the mufflers. Plus, I would want to replace my stock rear bumper cover to a M6 bumper cover for proper fitment of the quad exhaust tips.

On the side note, I really miss the exhaust note from my RS4 with Magnaflow exhaust.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Ok - very little change with deleting just the two front cans. Might get the sound you're looking for if you do mufflers, but the x-pipe is easy, cheap and always reversible - might be worth trying first to see if its enough for you. Good luck.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, premium sound, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with non-RFT super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, 5W bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for the family - no mod's
Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 PM

modified my exhaust system today

Today I finally did some work to my exhaust system. I installed two 2 1/2 inch cut outs right in front of the mufflers. Now I can have some "sound" when I'm driving and my wife can switch to the original sound when she is driving. Sounds awesome when idling and still not too loud when hitting the gas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-03-02 15.18.39.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	364552   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-02 18.23.06.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	364553   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-02 18.28.22.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	364554  

20" wheels 245/35 - 285/30, black grill and blacked out side markers, 10W white LED angel eyes, Eibach lowering springs on Bilstein shocks,
AC Schnitzer pedals, Sprint Booster (what a waste of money), electronic exhaust cut-outs, red brake calipers (painted)
AFE air intake, door laser BMW logo projector lights
Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: '08 BMW 650i 'vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymetzger View Post
Today I finally did some work to my exhaust system. I installed two 2 1/2 inch cut outs right in front of the mufflers. Now I can have some "sound" when I'm driving and my wife can switch to the original sound when she is driving. Sounds awesome when idling and still not too loud when hitting the gas.

Can you post a video/sound clip? I've seen others comment on how loud this type of mod is. Would love to hear what it sounds like.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton63 View Post
Can you post a video/sound clip? I've seen others comment on how loud this type of mod is. Would love to hear what it sounds like.
made a video but the quality is not the best, had to use my cell phone. The sound is better when you hear it with your own ears.

once the weather is better I will make another video with a better camera and some drive-bys

20" wheels 245/35 - 285/30, black grill and blacked out side markers, 10W white LED angel eyes, Eibach lowering springs on Bilstein shocks,
AC Schnitzer pedals, Sprint Booster (what a waste of money), electronic exhaust cut-outs, red brake calipers (painted)
AFE air intake, door laser BMW logo projector lights
Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurowned View Post
Hi everyone, I currently own a 09 650i convertible
i was thinking going to the shop tomorrow to get the resonator removed and keep the stock exhaust...
will this make the sounder louder? or should i not even bother doing so?
What is a sounder? Do all BMWs have it?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurowned View Post
Hi everyone, I currently own a 09 650i convertible
i was thinking going to the shop tomorrow to get the resonator removed and keep the stock exhaust...
will this make the sounder louder? or should i not even bother doing so?
Stock exhaust good. Other exhausts bad.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post

I did the same xpipe I guess. Your xpipe is Magnaflow right? LOok similar to mine. With the M6 E-Race. Here is my sound clip. From a broken iPhone (low quality)

2009 BMW 650i Cabrio (daily drive)
2011 Audi A4 (groceries, bully, road trip, winter beater, family car)

BMW CCA ID: 473647