Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 04 Duramax 09 BMW X5
Hello

First post, short time lurker. I've joined to take advantage of you X5 owners collective knowledge for the purpose of perhaps purchasing a used X5 to replace our very noisy 08 Honda Accord EX-L. The Honda is nice to drive at a reasonable pace but has so much road noise transmitted to the cabin that long trips are annoying, that and the seats are not that comfortable. I've done a number of searches and googled for answers regarding the various options and have had some luck in figuring out what some of the terms used in ads for used units. We will be in NW Washington for the Thanksgiving week and will look at some of the vehicles I have earmarked, probably will have many more questions after that activity. We did test drive an 07 near our home in NW Montana and for the little I was able to sample it, it did seem much quieter on the road (I beleive it had the 18" wheels). One of the disadvantages we may face is the nearest dealer is some 250 miles away.

I am somewhat surprised at the number of negative posts regarding reliability, I would have thought an expensive auto would have less discussion on this subject. I do realize that a specific forum will raise a lot of these posts, but would have thought there would be an near equal amount of rebuttals to those posts rather than the (it's a performance vehicle so that is the norm).

Just as an aside, my screen name just denotes my interest in Off-road motorcycle riding and racing so no need to throw rotten tomatoes or to steer clear of me
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
As with any internet forum, people with problems come here to complain and find resolutions to their problems, people without any problems aren't as motivated to post and are usually outnumbered by the "i have a problem" threads.

There are also multiple threads regarding the same topic over and over due to people's aversion to using search.

Other than that, a good warranty and service department and you're good to go.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by gresch View Post
As with any internet forum, people with problems come here to complain and find resolutions to their problems, people without any problems aren't as motivated to post and are usually outnumbered by the "i have a problem" threads.
There are also multiple threads regarding the same topic over and over due to people's aversion to using search.

Other than that, a good warranty and service department and you're good to go.
I agree with your statement in regards to internet forums. However, if you look at any of the publications that compile reliablity data (ie. CR, JD Power, True Delta, the car rags, etc, etc.) you can clearly see the pattern for the various manufacturers.

Not every vehicle from any manufacturer is destined for problems. Statistically, your chances are greater with certain ones as demonstrated through actual data.

Do your homework and have your eyes wide open before purchasing.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
With the nearest dealer 250 miles away, I'd be incredibly nervous...irrespective of the average reliability ...

A
Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 04 Duramax 09 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
With the nearest dealer 250 miles away, I'd be incredibly nervous...irrespective of the average reliability ...

A
Then the BMW is too technical for an experienced non-BMW technician? I've never in the 55+ years of driving been tied to a specific dealership, but then maybe I'm being naive. Granted most of my vehicles have been American made, the only so called exotic would have been my Alfa Romeo Milano. This is not a sarcastic reply, only trying to get real world experience.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
Then the BMW is too technical for an experienced non-BMW technician? I've never in the 55+ years of driving been tied to a specific dealership, but then maybe I'm being naive. Granted most of my vehicles have been American made, the only so called exotic would have been my Alfa Romeo Milano. This is not a sarcastic reply, only trying to get real world experience.
Sorry, I was not on a computer, so you really didnt get my full thoughts...

I do all my own wrenching, pretty much, after warranty, Acura, Infiniti, Porsche, BMW, VW, Dodge, Ford..so far. So it would concern me.

As I re-read, you are not looking for a car with a warranty (even an 07 with a 6 yr warranty will pretty much be done soon)... so you are not technically tied to a dealer. If you would be buying a car with a BMW warranty, you (pretty much) must use the BMW dealer.

Technically speaking, anyone can fix these cars- I do. You can look stuff up, trouble shoot, load the BMW software test tools on a laptop, etc. You need to be pretty smart and pretty dogged though. BMW does not make nice neat tools like Ford or Acura- Service manuals that lay it all out there, etc. Plus these cars are increasingly software based, and not many indies in Montana will buy a license to load E70 code from BMW via their internet backbone...just sayin'

PRACTICALLY speaking, is there a qualified mechanic near you? If there answer is "Yeah, there's a guy they only does BMW and Volvo for the last 20 years- I stopped by and he has a dozen E70s that he sees for service" then you have a local mechanic.

No matter what you do, GET A PPI done prior to buying a car. Dont assume the salesmen will tell you- and dont assume they even KNOW. Salesmen purposefully dont look in the horses mouth...

Dont be afraid to search around here and over on xoutpost.com... lots of info on 'what options were available' and 'what do I look for' and ' whats it worth'... also you can find folks selling their single owner X5 or even turning in leases...better way than using a dealer, IMO. Ive found that owners tend to lie less.

GL

A

Last edited by ard; 11-14-2012 at 04:42 PM.