Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Beden has a Carrera GTS. I hardly think he's 'jealous'. If he wanted, he'd probably buy four of them(One of each line, fully loaded) because that's how many it takes to match the price of the GTS. As someone who drives the F30 all day everyday, in my opinion he's right. The sound the doors make, The way they shut, the quality of materials has cheapened. Doesn't inspire confidence anymore. The F30 may be a better car overall then the e9x, due to features, and increased leg room, and all technology, but it doesn't inspire the same confidence as the previous generations did. The half-assed electric steering doesn't help.

BMW has fallen into the same hole that Mercedes-Benz fell into back in 2000 when quality dropped. They lost a significant amount of customers. I can assure you, this will also be the case for BMW in the long run. Today, Mercedes Benz uses higher quality materials in each respective category, and are even more fun to drive. BMW will eventually bring the quality back up, but this is after it finishes watering down the brand with 20 new models.
Everything in life is about balance. I personally disagree wholeheartedly that my F30 is cheapened in any way compared to my E90. The sound of a shutting door? Really? That's the big bad evil of the F30? Quality of materials? Where? The thickness of the plastic on a button or something?

I don't like the body roll that I get, but it's offset by all the new tech toys and the new interior design and the iPhone integration and the HUD and the cupholders and the body styling and the increased legroom and trunk room.

I'd be extremely angry if BMW made the F30 smaller, firmer, and pedestrian in the cockpit, would have lost me as a buyer. The F30 is growing along with me and my family, its lighter and faster, I have zero complaints.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Everything in life is about balance. I personally disagree wholeheartedly that my F30 is cheapened in any way compared to my E90. The sound of a shutting door? Really? That's the big bad evil of the F30? Quality of materials? Where? The thickness of the plastic on a button or something?

I don't like the body roll that I get, but it's offset by all the new tech toys and the new interior design and the iPhone integration and the HUD and the cupholders and the body styling and the increased legroom and trunk room.

I'd be extremely angry if BMW made the F30 smaller, firmer, and pedestrian in the cockpit, would have lost me as a buyer. The F30 is growing along with me and my family, its lighter and faster, I have zero complaints.

BJ
BMW's use to be nice and tight, everywhere. I wouldn't mind the growing as much if they had kept the damn 'feel' of a BMW. The way the steering feels is not what a BMW should feel like. The cheap plastic cup holder cover that BMW tells you to put into the dash when not in use(really?) the way the radio buttons feel, the iDrive screen(which looks better, but still looks like an afterthought) could of been integrated better. Believe it or not, the way the door sounds HUGE. Most companies actually test the way the door shuts and what sound it makes. The way the trunk closes and the sound it makes just shows how cheap the quality of materials really are.

The 3er still feels relatively small compared to the other new BMW's like the 5 series and 6 series which feel and drive like big boats. I use to enjoy the 650i coupe my sister had. It was a proper sports coupe/GT. The new one just feels fat.

BJ, the fact that you even get body roll in the F30 worries me. This was never an issue for a car like the 3 series because that's not what it stands for.
Yes, the F30 is a great car, and BMW has opened it up to a wider audience, but it doesn't feel like a BMW should. BMW is trying to be Mercedes-Benz and the C-Class with the 3 series when people who buy the 3 series want a rewarding drive, and the F30 does not offer that. What it does offer though, is day to day practicality and comfort, which the e9x didn't, with it's harsh(er) suspension and run flat tires. I've driven just about every combo there is for the F30, and while I was impressed at how civil it is and really enjoyed driving it down Rockville Pike at 45 mph in utter comfort, it's boring to drive, and offers no reward for the driver.

P.S. I love the way the new 6 speed feels though. The rubbery feeling is gone and the clutch finally bites perfectly.

P.P.S. If any of this sounded redundant or didn't make sense it's because I've been studying accounting for the past 8 hours and my brain is pretty much mush.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-12-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
BMW's use to be nice and tight, everywhere. I wouldn't mind the growing as much if they had kept the damn 'feel' of a BMW. The way the steering feels is not what a BMW should feel like. The cheap plastic cup holder cover that BMW tells you to put into the dash when not in use(really?) the way the radio buttons feel, the iDrive screen(which looks better, but still looks like an afterthought) could of been integrated better. Believe it or not, the way the door sounds HUGE. Most companies actually test the way the door shuts and what sound it makes. The way the trunk closes and the sound it makes just shows how cheap the quality of materials really are.

The 3er still feels relatively small compared to the other new BMW's like the 5 series and 6 series which feel and drive like big boats. I use to enjoy the 650i coupe my sister had. It was a proper sports coupe/GT. The new one just feels fat.

BJ, the fact that you even get body roll in the F30 worries me. This was never an issue for a car like the 3 series because that's not what it stands for.
Yes, the F30 is a great car, and BMW has opened it up to a wider audience, but it doesn't feel like a BMW should. BMW is trying to be Mercedes-Benz and the C-Class with the 3 series when people who buy the 3 series want a rewarding drive, and the F30 does not offer that. What it does offer though, is day to day practicality and comfort, with it's harsh(er) suspension and run flat tires. I've driven every combo of F30 built and I drive them daily.
My e90 328i has body roll.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
You are really starting to come off as an old grumpy man.

and BJ, don't bother with beden. He's an old man that obviously is jealous of the F30. Beden needs to spend more time with the wife, and less worrying about the size of speakers.
I'm actually a happy individual and not all that old, relatively. I'm sorry if stating my opinion about the F30 does not match yours, but, I thought forums were a place to learn and state one's opinions?

I'll listen to you about marriage when you make it to 35 years like I have.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Every car this side of a two door sports car some body roll. The body roll in the F30 is evident. It makes itself known. The e9x hid it very well, and I've owned an e92 328xi and now own an e92 M3.
Quote:
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
My E93 (is) does not have any noticeable body roll that would be an issue.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I'm actually a happy individual and not all that old, relatively. I'm sorry if stating my opinion about the F30 does not match yours, but, I thought forums were a place to learn and state one's opinions?

I'll listen to you about marriage when you make it to 35 years like I have.
That's exactly what forums are for. Keep in mind, we're all of different age and people have different tastes. That's fine. That's the beauty of living in a country like the USA, we have choices.
Quote:
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Re-Badged

Sorry about rambling.
Quote:
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:

BJ
The solid thud sound when closing a car door has always been signature to German and other high end cars like the Rolls Royce. It is considered to be the sound of a quality build.

I remember how pleased I was that my 1978 328i sounded very solid and similar to our 1979 Mercedes 300D that was built like a tank. In fact, it was a key selling point when I went shopping for a BMW back when the 328i was their only model sold in the USA.

The sound a car makes when closing a door is still the first thing I check when looking at new cars. I guess old habits die hard.

Last edited by beden1; 11-12-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Look, you and I have always gotten along, no real need for it to go south now.

Truth is you've been spending the last three years in a used car forum polluted by 17 year olds asking juvenile questions so you come in here and act in an unfortunately preconditioned juvenile manner. Problem is, the adults are in this forum and the juvenile stuff doesn't fly, different speed rating over here. The kids might be impressed by your stable of used German hardware, the adults not so much.

I am, by no means, a self-proclaimed auto-guru. I don't know much of anything about performance, but I do know a thing or two about status-symbols and contribute where appropriate on that topic.

You aren't interested in buying an F30, you seem to want attention for your Porsche that you aren't getting in the E9X playgym, that's fine, but no need to put down the F30 since you don't really know anything about it. I think that's fair. Every week there's a newb proclaiming that our cars are boats, some GM fan posting up a new Cadillac thread, don't need an existing BMW owner to sh-t on our rides. We get it. We know why people think the F30 is a violation of the Temple Of Series 3. We don't need someone who should know better joining the pile-on.

BJ
Oh gosh, just a few years ago you polluted the same forum with your prancing, now you are polluting this one. I thought people grow up, not in your case, a 40-something, I am guessing, acting up as a 17-year old you keep on ragging online.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
I don't like the body roll that I get, BJ
I think your new all weather floor mats are contributing to the excess body roll due to the increased weight factor.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
Oh gosh, just a few years ago you polluted the same forum with your prancing, now you are polluting this one. I thought people grow up, not in your case, a 40-something, I am guessing, acting up as a 17-year old you keep on ragging online.
Yeah, you've got me all wrong. That was the old me, I don't go there anymore unless used E90 owners invade the F30 forum talking smack. Then, yeah, I'll mix it up a bit.

Go back to the E9X forum, plenty of 17 year olds there for you to impress with your old car.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I think your new all weather floor mats are contributing to the excess body roll due to the increased weight factor.
In order to combat this, I'm only going to ride with 1/4 of a tank of fuel at all times.

At 6.1 PPG (Pounds Per Gallon), that's 18.3 lbs. of sprung weight savings right there or the equivalent of 3.2 sets of winter mats.

BJ

Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
The solid thud sound when closing a car door has always been signature to German and other high end cars like the Rolls Royce. It is considered to be the sound of a quality build.

I remember how pleased I was that my 1978 328i sounded very solid and similar to our 1979 Mercedes 300D that was built like a tank. In fact, it was a key selling point when I went shopping for a BMW back when the 328i was their only model sold in the USA.

The sound a car makes when closing a door is still the first thing I check when looking at new cars. I guess old habits die hard.
Yes.

The key word there being "old". In these modern times, all cars make a similarly underwhelming door "thunk" when closed. What's truly amusing is the hypocrisy again.

On the one hand, enthusiasts want the car to be lighter so it can be faster. On the other hand, enthusiasts want heavy doors so it can make a pleasing sound of "quality". LOLZ. You peeps is nuts, you know that?

BJ

Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Every car this side of a two door sports car some body roll. The body roll in the F30 is evident. It makes itself known. The e9x hid it very well, and I've owned an e92 328xi and now own an e92 M3.
That is true. The body roll in the F30 is noticeably more pronounced than in the E90. The car is just as well planted in heavy turns- the tires don't squeal, the DTC light doesn't come on, but the body of the car leans more than it used to. For the 2% of the time that that matters I am unhappy but for the 98% of the time that I'm not driving like a maniac it means a much more comfortable ride, no exploding potholes. Much better.

BJ

Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 AM

Good news on the mats:

Whatever was making my Nike's slip is gone after 48 hours. Might be some light coating they put on them for shipping purposes, might be that they got wet for the first time in the rain.

Either way, the slippery issue is no more.

BJ

Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Yes.

The key word there being "old". In these modern times, all cars make a similarly underwhelming door "thunk" when closed. What's truly amusing is the hypocrisy again.

On the one hand, enthusiasts want the car to be lighter so it can be faster. On the other hand, enthusiasts want heavy doors so it can make a pleasing sound of "quality". LOLZ. You peeps is nuts, you know that?

BJ
Doors don't have to be heavier to make a solid 'thunk'.

The 2013 e92 floor mats suck.
Quote:

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-13-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:

The 2013 e92 floor mats suck.
Wow, those are throwbacks, the same mats I had in my 2007 E93.

Those are midweight mats, your dealer didn't do you a solid. The ones I had in my E90 and now in the F30 are the heavyweight winter mats. You need to find these:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1342380811

The ones you have are called the "all seasons". You need the heavyweight winter's.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-13-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
+1000 Get a life. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Wow, those are throwbacks, the same mats I had in my 2007 E93.

Those are midweight mats, your dealer didn't do you a solid. The ones I had in my E90 and now in the F30 are the heavyweight winter mats. You need to find these:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1342380811

The ones you have are called the "all seasons". You need the heavyweight winter's.

BJ
The ones you have are the ones I had on my 08 328xi. The car won't be going out anyway when there's snow out anyway. It's got no clearance. I just wanted something to go over the carpet mats that came with the car so the don't get dirty or wet and start to stink up the car.
Quote:
Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The ones you have are the ones I had on my 08 328xi. The car won't be going out anyway when there's snow out anyway. It's got no clearance. I just wanted something to go over the carpet mats that came with the car so the don't get dirty or wet and start to stink up the car.
Gotcha.

I have four kids, three of which are in sports programs that put muddy cleats in my car all year long. In my E90 I wound up leaving the winter mats in all the time, when I returned the car off lease they got brand-new carpeted mats as a bonus.

So for me, I need something really heavy duty that won't allow water and has a high edge to keep the carpet mud-free.

BJ

Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."
--F. Scott Fitzgerald

You're beginning to see why the E46 (E39 and E38 as well) was held in such high esteem and is still considered a high-water mark by many.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA